Toyota Tundra....with a Cummins?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:46 am

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about that. An article popped into my email from tundratalk.com about Toyota toying (no pun) with the idea of putting Cummins diesels in there trucks to help with the gas mileage issue.

Me personally, im all for it. Add 6 more inches to the bed of the truck (crew cab) and throw a cummins in front. would be awesome on a TRD edition. Basically make it a 3/4 - 1 ton truck would be nice.

Link to article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toyota- ... undra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Toyota Tundra....with a Cummins?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 am

Guy I used to shoot coyotes with is the regional something or other for Nissan. Something about parts supply? Service something?

Anyway he's been telling me for a couple years now that Nissan has been pushing to get a diesel Titan out. Dodge is pushing out a diesel Ram 1500. I'm not surprised that Toyota is finally going to look into a US diesel again.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:09 pm

driftking777 wrote:Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about that. An article popped into my email from tundratalk.com about Toyota toying (no pun) with the idea of putting Cummins diesels in there trucks to help with the gas mileage issue.

Me personally, im all for it. Add 6 more inches to the bed of the truck (crew cab) and throw a cummins in front. would be awesome on a TRD edition. Basically make it a 3/4 - 1 ton truck would be nice.

Link to article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toyota- ... undra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was hoping for a CAT diesel in the toyotas, personally.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I was hoping for a CAT diesel in the toyotas, personally.
Really? Why?
I like CAT equipment but I don't see any products that would fit a non-industrial use vehicle.
The product I've linked to below would be perfect for a light duty pick-up truck 156 to 300 hp (I'm not sure on torque) and it meets the EPA tier 4 emissions requirements. The engine is perfect except that it weighs 1576 lbs dry!

http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/p ... 79748.html

I'm a big fan of CAT - they are the world leader in industrial diesel power systems; but I don't see them pursuing the non-commercial user.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 pm

I doubt you'll ever see a CAT engine in a small truck, CAT doesn't even build their own large truck engines anymore. They use Navistar engines. CAT engines, quite frankly, aren't what they used to be. Their last try with the ACERT line lost them a lot of followers.

Toyota has such an awesome resource in Hino, I'm surprised they wouldn't seek out a collaboration with them. Then again, Cummins has a large group of followers that I'm sure Toyota wants to draw from.

Either way, it's nice to finally get some light duty diesels. We went from having none to having:
-GM confirmed a diesel for the new Colorado/Canyon small pickup.
-Ram confirmed a 3.0L Fiat diesel for the Ram 1500.
-Nissan confirmed a 5.0l Cummins for their Titan.
-Ford confirmed a 3.2L powerstroke for their new Transit vans and possibly F150.
-Toyota is considering the 5.0L cummins for the Tundra.

Personally, I'm most interested in the Ford 3.2l and Ram 3.0l. I think these engines will be in the sweet spot for mileage vs. cost vs. ability. The 5.0l Cummins would be better off in a 3/4 ton or SRW 1 ton truck, as I'm sure it will be an absurdly expensive option for a half-ton (while not getting the fuel economy of the smaller engines).

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Toyota has such an awesome resource in Hino
Absolutely Agree 1000%

Check out these smallish diesel engines that Hino already manufactures and already meet emission standards
http://www.hino.com/businessinmotion/story_605.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a 4 cylinder engine (J05D-TF) that produces 175 hp and 376 pound feet of torque - perfect for a light truck

They also have a 6 cylinder engine that produces 260 hp and 585 pound feet of torque - perfect for a 3/4 ton truck.

Both of these engines are dead nuts reliable (so the general consensus goes) and both weigh significantly less than the Cummins 4Bt or 6Bt respectively.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:51 pm

DarkandShiny wrote:
Toyota has such an awesome resource in Hino
already meet emission standards
To be fair, according to the website, Hino's current engines only meet EPA 2010 Standards. The 5.0L Cummins meets the new stricter EPA 2013 standards (which is what light duty engines will have to meet moving forward until 2017, when the next standard takes effect.)

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Dooms wrote:I doubt you'll ever see a CAT engine in a small truck, CAT doesn't even build their own large truck engines anymore. They use Navistar engines. CAT engines, quite frankly, aren't what they used to be. Their last try with the ACERT line lost them a lot of followers.

Toyota has such an awesome resource in Hino, I'm surprised they wouldn't seek out a collaboration with them. Then again, Cummins has a large group of followers that I'm sure Toyota wants to draw from.

Either way, it's nice to finally get some light duty diesels. We went from having none to having:
-GM confirmed a diesel for the new Colorado/Canyon small pickup.
-Ram confirmed a 3.0L Fiat diesel for the Ram 1500.
-Nissan confirmed a 5.0l Cummins for their Titan.
-Ford confirmed a 3.2L powerstroke for their new Transit vans and possibly F150.
-Toyota is considering the 5.0L cummins for the Tundra.

Personally, I'm most interested in the Ford 3.2l and Ram 3.0l. I think these engines will be in the sweet spot for mileage vs. cost vs. ability. The 5.0l Cummins would be better off in a 3/4 ton or SRW 1 ton truck, as I'm sure it will be an absurdly expensive option for a half-ton (while not getting the fuel economy of the smaller engines).
Calling VM Motori a Fiat isn't really fair to the brand. I agree with your assessment about CAT and look forward to the new Nissan Titan with the Cummins. A Tundra using the same engine would be nice as well, more parts in circulation and Cummins said they had room in the production plant for others. :wink:
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 pm

VeniVidiVici wrote:
Calling VM Motori a Fiat isn't really fair to the brand.
Meh, the 3.0L was a joint effort between V.M. Motori (which is 50% owned by Fiat) and Fiat Powertrain Technologies. I consider it a Fiat diesel. :wink:

Nothing wrong with that. Some of the best diesel equipment I've ever run was Fiat, well....Fiat-Allis. :mrgreen:

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Last edited by Tommy Tran on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 pm

How was it? Can you elaborate on any of the questions raised in this thread?

Kinda cruel to leave us hanging.
Last edited by Dabster on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Dabster wrote:
How was it? Can you elaborate on any of the questions raised in this thread?

Kinda cruel to leave us hanging.
I've known about the 5.0L since early 2008, at which point Chrysler was supposedly interested in it. Around 2010/2011 Cummins started reaching out to various automotive manufacturers to see who would consider purchasing this new engine (Which makes me think a deal with Chrysler fell through, possibly due to their poor financial shape at the time). After 2011 the 5.0L Cummins was basically up for grabs to anyone willing to pay for it.

This engine probably started development around 2005 and we're finally going to see it for sale in 2014/2015. They've had plenty of time to get it right. :wink:
Last edited by Dooms on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Can't wait to buy this Cummins in the titan next year! Hopefully it also makes it to the armada as well with a more fuel economic tranny. The currently planned tranny will be designed for durability over economy. I'm really looking forward to this!

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/10/ ... p=HPBucket

A few more details about it. 200-275hp max 560 tq. 20-40% fuel mileage increase of gasoline counterparts.

Return to “Transportation”