diy V12

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ProstheticWeasel

diy V12

Post by ProstheticWeasel » Sun May 12, 2013 9:38 am

Saw this http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/ ... p=features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To sum up guy takes 2 v8 engines cuts them up and makes a v12. Apparently they have several successful ones already and this one is from the parts they had left over. The crazy part to me is that they cut the cams and crankshaft and connect them back together.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: diy V12

Post by jamoni » Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 am

:ooh:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 am

I'd love to chop a C4 Corvette at the front, and another length of engine bay, and build a V16 :clap:
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:18 am

They've dropped one into a Suburban, and another into a 3/4 scale P-51.

More info can be found here at the LS1 forums. Pictures of chopped heads, crank, cam... I give these guys mad props for their ability to make this work. The thing that stands out the most to me is that they cut the cylinder in half. Measurements, and the cut, have to be exact to maintain roundness.

They also built a V4, because, why not.

Video of the LS12

http://vimeo.com/65439073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 pm

The first V8 engines were made by putting two inline fours together on a custom crank case.

The Kawasaki 500cc two cylinder engine is the outside two off of a 1000cc four.

So it's not a new concept, just new parts.
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun May 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Neat project. If I were doing it I'd probably start with two inline sixes... or would two straight eights be better? :twisted:

Weren't the first generation GM V6s made by chopping two cylinders off a V8?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Chef wrote:Weren't the first generation GM V6s made by chopping two cylinders off a V8?
In effect, yeah. I don't know if that's how they deigned the 90* V6's, but a lot of the internals are interchangeable with the V8's.

Same with the Cummins 4BT and 6BT. I think the only difference between those is the crank and cam.

cauldron wrote:So it's not a new concept, just new parts.
Yep, but it's still pretty cool. Way beyond my abilities/patience. If you snap the crank or the cam shaft I think you're pretty well toast though, since these are one-of designs. According to the LS7 forum posts, they're still developing their process, and this one is intentionally being put together differently than the others they have made.

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Tue May 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Chevy made a zr12 concept vette back in the day. Fit it in a nearly stock engine bay too.
http://www.corvettes.nl/gm_prototypes/zr12/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

Return to “Transportation”