DD/BOV advice.

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GSHX2

Re: DD/BOV advice.

Post by GSHX2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Williaty, thanks for the help. On the bright side at least I don't need a cut out on a skid plate for the filter! (Yes folks that was sarcasm) :)
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

williaty

Post by williaty » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 am

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:were those the Vredstein tires?
Gislavd Nordfrost. AWESOME if you want tires for snow. Terrible if you want tires for driving on dry pavement in the cold.

gustovski
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, zomblies, i am legend, the biohazard, the dead alive,

Post by gustovski » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 am

i remember reading that the forester gearbox is not completely sealed and so if you take it to the beach or any other sandy environment the gearbox will fill with sand and tear to shreads

-----gus
I love The Smell Of Burnin Zombie In The Mornin...

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:59 am

gustovski wrote:i remember reading that the forester gearbox is not completely sealed and so if you take it to the beach or any other sandy environment the gearbox will fill with sand and tear to shreads

-----gus
That's actually not that true, or at least it isn't that simple. The tranny itself is pretty well sealed, other than the fact that the shift linkage rod seal tends to leak and let oil out slowly on all the 5MTs. The problem, for the tranny at least, comes via the dipstick. The dipstick tube is how you fill the tranny and also how it equalizes pressure as you do things like drive up and down mountains. This means that the fit between the dipstick tube and the tranny has to be somewhat leaky. I wouldn't ever worry about sand getting into it but I WOULD worry about water getting in that way, especially salt water. If you have to ever drive through water as deep or deeper than the hubs, you need to change the tranny and rear diff oil absolutely as soon as possible. The bigger danger is that about 50% of people can't put the damned dipstick back in the hole. They either lose it or they think they've put it all the way in but actually get it caught on a shoulder about half way up the stick so it's just sitting there rattling around half in/half out. In the case of a missing or not closed dipstick, I could see sand problems happening.

The rear diff has a dedicated vent on the top since the fill holes are completely sealed. The vent is just a little cap that basically forms an upside down U to let air in and out. Again, I wouldn't expect this to let dry sand in, but driving through water more than hub deep will let water into the rear diff and that needs corrected immediately. This vent is very easily damaged if you're dicking around with the rear diff, so be careful when you work on it. It'll also sometimes get clogged up with crap and then the diff will blow the seals out the next time it gets very hot and/or you drive to extremely high altitudes. It's about a $3 part, so it's worth replacing it every single time you get access to it (which will be extremely rarely) just to make sure it stays functional.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Weighing in late...sorry, just saw this thread.

If your car's paid for you might want to consider converting it to a diesel. Diesel Toys here in San Antonio do lots of conversions with OEM motors offered in places other than the US market.

I saw sooooo many cool cars over in Germany not available here...diesel Jeeps, Toyota, Nissans, etc.

My plan is that as soon as the wife's Land Rover's paid for I plan to buy either a FJ Cruiser or a Taco (possibly some flavor of Jeep) and have it converted. Not cheap at ~ $20K but if I can find a good sample w/a blown motor or at least recoup some of the expense by selling the stock motor it'll be worth it to me.

Add in a larger tank for extended range and it'll be the shizznit in my book...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Wow, I'm floored by how expensive those diesel conversions are. Both of the options for my truck are more than I paid for it new.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah, definitely top dollar conversions but they come w/a warranty and look like a factory install.

If you're reasonably mechanically inlined and have access to all the tools (including some specialty items), it's not too hard to do. I've swapped motors in the past and basic swaps aren't too bad but I just don't have the time nor the patience to deal w/the wiring and fabrication issues...and am willing to pay for convenience up to a point.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ansgar

Post by Ansgar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:32 pm

I realize it's not one of the vehicles you mentioned, but I've had a Jeep Patriot for about 6 months now and love it. I get 26 mpg with a 50/50 city/highway mix and even though mine is the base model (Sport), it handles offroad pretty well. I took it on a hilly dirt trail and forded a small creek with 3 adults adding up to about 600 pounds and all our range gear and had no problems, so I imagine the trail rated 4x4 version should be even more able bodied. If it's not your cup of tea, then oh, well, but it may be worth consideration. Also, they start around $16K new, 4x4 model at $18K new. This one's at a dealership in Belleville and This one's in Florissant.

Return to “Transportation”