Bugged out five weeks ago...

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Re: Bugged out five weeks ago...

Post by spanningtree » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Man, your new digs just keep getting better and better with every round of pic's. Is the well drinkable or does it have to much sulfur? My Dad and I used to hunt in eastern Montana (near Ingomar) and most if not all of the ranches had shit sulfur water from the wells. I remember the smell of that water more than anything else. Not sure how they filtered it... too young at the time. :crazy:

I really dig that gantry crane, is it working? One of those things you don't know you need until you need it! :P Keep the pics coming!

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah the well water here is great (I grew up in Sidney, way east Montana), the gantry crane functions flawlessly and I'll be using it next week to pull the engine on that awesome orange cj5! Thanks for the comments, I really want to make this into a sustainable livable space (set up a whiteboard to map out rain catchment with the wife today), I hope someday I could host a ZS get together here! I guess I'll have to start an MT chapter first...
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!
http://www.primrosestation.com

techmonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by techmonkey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 pm

spanningtree wrote:Man, your new digs just keep getting better and better with every round of pic's. Is the well drinkable or does it have to much sulfur? My Dad and I used to hunt in eastern Montana (near Ingomar) and most if not all of the ranches had shit sulfur water from the wells. I remember the smell of that water more than anything else. Not sure how they filtered it... too young at the time. :crazy:

I really dig that gantry crane, is it working? One of those things you don't know you need until you need it! :P Keep the pics coming!

Heh, been out near Malta, eh? The water is not potable and you usually have to truck in drinking water. Stayed at a friends house one time outside of Malta. I showered in that stuff and I smelled like a fart all day.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 pm

bump?
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Fire

Post by Fire » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:50 am

awesome, and inspires me to improve my own little BIL into a super fortress.... just plain awesome, great job, living the preppers dream
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 am

That is awesome! I'm living much more simpler now as well. Its a lot less stressful!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am

Want MOAR! MOAR PEEkCHURS!
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Ripcode

Post by Ripcode » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:54 am

Taggage.

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Going to be back working at the train station this weekend but I'm going to split it off in its own thread, this is in transpo. I'll continue posting about my RV and such here and link my new BOL thread this weekend. Thanks for the support guys! It's keeping me motivated!
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!

unsung
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by unsung » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 am

Subscribed.

I wonder if any of the Idaho buildings still stand...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 09, 2013 7:35 am

LoveSmuggler: U DA MAN!!!

Odinsown

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Well folks, I turned the Primrose Station into its own webpage so I'm spamming it here. I normally use the Tapatalk app on my phone to keep up with this website but it hasn't worked correctly for months, so this is my best option. Sorry for the spam, but if anyone is really interested in this project I'll be putting the pictures and updates on these two sites now. Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, the encouraging words were great for keeping my tempo up. I hope in the future if I can actually get a MT chapter started I can use this cool space to host some fun events!

https://www.facebook.com/primrosestation
http://primrosestation.wordpress.com

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Super cool and glad to see something still going with this! Thanks for sharing those!
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 am

Thanks! We've just got a couple of posts up now but will be consolidating all of our photos and info on our progress this year over the next few weeks! I've been traveling all month but the last thing I did was dig a hundred foot long, seven foot deep trench to hook the well up to the building water supply. Running water, finally! The wife is going to be happy to see the incinerating toilet go back into storage...

PhunkyMunky

Post by PhunkyMunky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 pm

I used to live just south of Missoula in Hamilton, and Victor, and Corvallis... My wife and I absolutely LOVED it out there! Alas, there was little work in the winter and being young, not knowing how to make it in THAT environment, and entirely irresponsible anyway, we had to move back home here in Seattle. Being a milinimalist is a HUGE benefit to living there, especially outside of town. Self Sufficiency is REQUIRED... Meaning if you have to survive on small odd jobs then that's what you do, Jack of All Trades wins there. You're on ZS, so you know that FOOD is crucial. You should keep AT LEAST 3 months worth on hand at all times. Winters are HARSH LOL. Cold as hell, and you could, at some point, find yourself snowed in. A guy in Hamilton lost his car for the winter after a snowplow down 93 buried it in a supermarket parking lot. :clap:

THAT set up you have is AWESOME. I'd have SO MUCH fun with the building...

And doing what you did IS a bug out, a very good field exercise. We did that 4 years ago when we bought 20 acres on the other side of Washington State from us. We own a house near Seattle, but we'd bought the 20 acres in hopes to move there, but as things turn out moving was not to happen. Instead we've built a 14x14 cabin on it on skids. This coming week we're adding to it a Bath house, windmill for power (we've got solar but the wind is constant, it makes 2 ways to make sure of having power all the time), and hopefully a fort for the kids to play in. But our first summer out there we lived in a tent and a shed LOL. 3 months of hot dusty air and little water reminded me of Iraq in many ways LOL. I just drank a lot of Gatorade and water and kept working when we finally started to build.

That RV is awesome too BTW... I've never seen one like that before...
"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:20 pm

lovesmuggler wrote: Who bakes a damn cake in their RV?
My wife baked one of the grandkids a birthday cake in our 22ft RV.

Not sure what else she's used oven for.

Do know the microwave gets used more.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 am

Good job PhunkyMunkey, on bugging out NOW! A certain amount of land can sustain a family, and big cities have too high a population concentration, a disaster waiting to happen. Centralization of anything invites problems on a larger scale, from food production to waste management. I understand that city living is the only way some people will ever have the creature comforts that I'm working my ass off to build for myself, but when you live your life dependent on systems you don't understand and dependent on others, you are trusting a lot to fate if something goes wrong. Good job getting set up now to provide for yourself, 20 acres sounds just right...

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Wow, it's been over a year since I posted here! So much has happened, including purchasing a big RV to put inside the train station. It's a 1986/7 Fleetwood Bounder EXACTLY like the mobile meth lab in Breaking Bad...

I dropped off the face of the earth sometime last summer, because the city purchased my duplex in town through eminent domain to widen my street, so I was forced into the train station full time. We gutted it out, used the money to pay off the property, and then really evaluated our finances. That's when we decided that to be truly free we needed to invest in property that was going to be cash positive and help erase our debt, that could free up time and resources to develop our dream property here. We ended up buying a fourplex, fixing it up and renting it out, renovating a vacation rental for listing on AirBnB and VRBO, and starting a t-shirt company called MANtana. We ended up acquiring some neighboring properties here at Primrose, one with a steel building, one bare land for a fruit orchard. My wife is headed to Arizona to her BOLC (she just commissioned as a 2LT, I'm so proud!), so the dog and I are once again going to be living in the RV full time to save up money for our next phase of expansion. I wanted to post pics of the RV today to restart this thread but for some reason now Tapatalk isn't letting me post pics, so I'm going to examine the issue and continue from there.

I wanted to update everyone and let them know that I'm still charging ahead with my concept to bug out now, building income streams that don't require me to show up to a job 9-5. Being in the National Guard helps, I can pretty much go on orders whenever I want, it's nice to have that security. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll get the pics up of the new BOV, with lessons learned from the previous BOV and what I've done with the new one to mitigate some of the problems. I'm excited to have a new project, the RV runs great (except the fridge) and is so big, it really is comfortable to occupy full time, and I have electricity and a hose to hook up to at the train station so it's cheap and I don't have to keep refilling stuff! Thanks to all the folks that interacted with this thread before, when I was living in the Iveco, I'm happy to be back here on ZS learning from you, and hopefully over the next five months I'll have a couple new tips to share with you!

*EDIT* I figured out how to post pictures from my wordpress library, so here are a few of the new BOV and a braggy picture of my new tractor, I've been using a 1939 Ford 9N all last year and spent more time working on it than using it...

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm

I loved this thread and it's great to see you're still going strong!

Look forward to learning more about your new RV :)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Don't forget to keep us in the loop! We all love this thread!
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

MachineGunMonkey

Post by MachineGunMonkey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Love the updates! Been by a few times (I hit up KettleHouse on the way to my cabin to fill some growlers and figured I might as well see the progress!), maybe sometime I'll stop and say hello ;)

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:51 pm

This is such an awesome thread! Love the BOV, the BOL, all of it!
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Used to wonder about this thread and OP.

Glad to see you're still living the dream!

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:13 am

Yeah guys, still going strong, just planted seven more trees this week! I've got some blueberries and grapes to put in this weekend also, there's a lot to do to put everything to bed for the winter...

Machinegun I always like to meet new folks from there area, just send me a message on here and I'll give you my number so you can coordinate if you'd like to stop out, I'm all over the place these days and it looks like I'm taking up a full time job during the week in Helena so I'll be trying to hide this RV on the base...

Thanks for the encouragement guys, the wife is gone next week and then I'm going to spend some time putting up a ton of pics!

Return to “Transportation”