Bugged out five weeks ago...

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Paladin1

Re: Bugged out five weeks ago...

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Very nice indeed. :clap:
WWSD?

lovesmuggler

Bugged out five weeks ago...

Post by lovesmuggler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I know that some people's life situations wouldn't lend themselves to bugging out now, but I want to encourage everyone to just do one thing at a time to make yourselves a little more self sufficient. I'll never be able to do everything myself but I intend to keep learning as much as I can, and learn a few things so well that they'll be skills worth trading for. Building community is important too, I've met some other people in town here that live like I am right now, and when I get back to Montana I'm really excited to make some new friends I can learn from. Cali folks I'm here until February, let's go camping somewhere we're allowed to build a campfire!
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!
http://www.primrosestation.com

moosiah

Post by moosiah » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 pm

very nice rig .. the Deutz air cooled engines are like anvils re reliability.. and thats a low visibility rig too , as far as street camping..your in Monterrey? .... and the place in Montana is v nice .... beats any thing up here in the valley of the moon... good luck w your rig!! .. :clap:
remember kids , if a .30 is good ,a 20mm is better
So dad , I guess that guns kill people the same way my pencil misspells words ; dean 14 yrs old
A 1911 in my left ,a 1917 in my right ; Now that's Old School.

gustovski
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, zomblies, i am legend, the biohazard, the dead alive,

Post by gustovski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 am

looks like a good setup
when im out of school i want to save up for some land in the hills and get a car (suzuki sierra(samarai))
i hope to have a property before i get any expenses (wife,kids,mortgage)and while i save up for that
in terms of an rv as a way to live cheaply so you can save up for a bil/bol
i think that i would want to get somewhere to store my stuff

-----gus
I love The Smell Of Burnin Zombie In The Mornin...

techmonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by techmonkey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm

I found a power distribution board for you that would make wiring in new 12V circuits a lot easier.

Found HERE for $1.95 plus shipping (around $10). Electronics Goldmine is one of my favorite surplus sites. You can find lots of good stuff for low voltage projects at sites like these.

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Have there been any more updates since Thanksgiving? I am really interested to see what you've done with the thing!
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 am

Oh I sure do I'll take pics and post tomorrow, I'm still living in it with no problems, quite comfortable and I've adapted well to this lifestyle. Some of my refit has been postponed because I blew two tires on the highway (scary) so I had to buy them and pay a guy to come put them on for me. Next paycheck I'll replace the rest of the tires for sure. Ok tomorrow more pics and a nice long update!
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!

88sport

Post by 88sport » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Where are ze pics?!??!
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Here's my home set up for a re-provisioning of sorts. One day on the weekend I set up my solar chargers for my small batteries, run the generator to charge my tool batteries, fill my 1lb propane bottles off of my 20 lb bottle, and pack away the groceries I've purchased.

The small bottles need to be pre-chilled in ice before filling to ensure they get a full fill, so I rotate them through this cooler and then fill them. This time I filled all 15 of my small tanks from the big one.

I built another milk crate shelf on the kitchen side, now I just need to build out the electrical box to house a couple of outlets and reinstall my range hood.

Installed a sweet rack on the roof.

My neighbors...

View from my parking spot. I did flag detail last month for the base and so I parked down by the post flagpole. The view the other direction is the ocean. Flag is at half-mast for the victims of the massacre at Sandy Hook.

88sport

Post by 88sport » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm lovin it man. Keep up the work and let us know how this thing progresses and what you've learned from living in the camper for the amount of time that you have.
only here...

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 am

I think so far the most powerful lesson from this experience has been building redundancy in my systems. I'm set up to be completely self sufficient for a while. I live in an area where most of the friends i could rely on have moved on, so I am completely reliant on myself and this vehicle. I have a multi-tiered system that starts with my preps in the Rv:

At least a month of food, two if I ration.

Two weeks of alcohol.

Full 30 gallon tank of diesel and 2 five-gallon scepter cans.

4kw gas generator with ten gallon tank and small gas can.

Solar Joos charger, extra folding solar panel, two goal0 guide tens with AA and AAA eneloops.

Vehicle water tanks full, and in case of corruption, separate water stores in those awesome blue square water jugs.

Vehicle has a heater that works, but I use a more efficient and indoor safe "big buddy" heater that I can spot heat my sleeping area with. For this I can use my on-board propane or the 1lb tanks that I also carry.

Electric vehicle lighting, awesome led Costco taclights, headlamps, and a propane lantern.

Plenty of warm clothing.

All the tools I need to work on the Rv. Vehicle emergency kit, tire fix kit.

Various other sundry items.

The second level is a 20 foot double axle trailer with extra food, fuel, and all the "other essentials" in a locked secure military storage yard with 24 hour key code access.

The third tier is my house in Montana where every paycheck my wife is going to the store to add to all of our stores.

Fourth level will be my bug out location (the train station I mentioned at the beginning of this post).

Since right now I only have access to what I have with me down here I've had to buy a lot of things that I already owned but are with my wife at our house. It's annoying but now that it's done I've realized I feel very comfortable having preps to my preps and having them in different locations.

Specifically on living in an Rv, one of my main concerns is parking. I thought I'd get hassled all the time, but I have had zero problems. I give a lot of thought to where I park so I'm not taking up all the space in front of people's houses or cutting off access to anything. I make sure I follow the local laws and move 150 feet every three days. I stay off the radar and practice strict light and noise discipline. Often people just ignore this vehicle and assume nobody is in it, some people parked next to it last month to hide their car and boned. I like sitting inside and listening to people talk about my rv and what they like about it :). My life right now is so convenient in some aspects I never considered before, like being somewhere I need to go right when I wake up in the morning. For example tonight I'm parked in front of a gym so at 0500 I can go in and workout and shower before work.

Living this lifestyle I have a lot of spare time because I have no tv and need to get out, I often strap on my ruck, put in my headphones to listen to some Chinese or Arabic so I can study, and just go. I take those opportunities to look for other convenient or interesting places to park my house. I can tell you now in this affluent coastal town there are so many people living in rvs just like me, many more than I ever expected. I've met some of the folks and recognize some people's parking patterns now, but there are truly hundreds of people just here taking advantage of the easy climate and the camouflage provided by the hundreds of tourist rvs coming through town every day. That and the Veterans Memorial Park has free dump station, fresh water, shower buildings, and picnic areas to use for the occasional refit.

88sport

Post by 88sport » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 am

Awesome man, thank you for sharing your lessons with us.
only here...

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Those neighbors might make a good dinner! Or at least a good hat...

I didn't realize that you could refill the 1 lb cans directly off a propane tank. Do you need an adapter?

I've loved reading through this whole thread and mostly lurking - thanks for sharing!

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm

This thread is such WIN! Love the can-do attitude, RV, and playhouse/fort/BOL :wink: . Thank you for sharing.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Fastforward

Post by Fastforward » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Very nice thread. Love the descriptions along with pictures. How did you find out about the sub station?Just browsing for sale adds??

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Resolute: yes you'll need an adapter but if you refill 10 of those 1lb tanks it'll pay for itself! I bought mine for $20...

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Prepper7:
Thanks so much, I've lurked here for years and finally decided I might have one interesting thread I could start. When I get home I can't wait to start the train station thread!

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Fastforward:
I saw one of the other stations on the side of the highway one day while I was looking at houses with a real estate agent (someone posted a link to a YouTube video of that one). I've always thought the best living situation for me would be a shop or warehouse with a piece of land so I could take care of myself, especially one with a heavy duty roof I could put solar on and garden. I checked the local mls listings in the commercial section for years till I saw this and I offered the guy 1/3 his original price after it sat on the market for two years! I buy industrial strength everything so I don't need to replace shit, and this fits that mantra. Can't wait to show you guys the crane built into the ceiling!

72hours

Post by 72hours » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

This thread has been inspirational for me.... am pulling the trigger on a sailboat this coming week, a place to live when I continue my studies....

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Awesome man! Once you bug out full time how bad can the Z-Paw really be? I just got back to Montana last week after living FOUR MONTHS in my RV, and went straight to work on my BOL. I've been working hard in the train station and we are renovating the basement apartment of our house in town to rent out, planning on pulling a thirty foot RV trailer into the station to live in while we work on it! I'll be posting pictures soon, the building came with two horned owls in the ceiling that have been watching me non-stop, very beautiful birds.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 am

Tag for train station awesome.

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 pm

ImageImage
Random pics from the last couple days. Lots of work to do, I have a buddy coming this weekend to help me button up the windows.

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:04 pm

That's DAMN sexy. I want one!

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:04 pm

There are 20 others...

Return to “Transportation”