New BOV options under 25K?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GSHX2

New BOV options under 25K?

Post by GSHX2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 am

I always purchase new and keep 'em for 10 years or so. Not just me anymore, gotta think of the GF and two kids 9 and 6. I commute about 40 miles one way supplemented by car pooling, my truck is putting the hurt on me!

Thinking this:
http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/xv-crosstrek/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always had American but am thinking it is time for something different and not basing my choice on tradition for me.

Not really an off-roader, I am more the dirt road kinda guy since I only ever have one vehicle so it has to be my daily driver.

Thinking of pulling the trigger in about two months.
Any suggestions?
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: New BOV options under 25K?

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am

Interesting. It looks like an Outback with a smaller engine (2.0L versus 2.5L). And with better fuel economy than either the Ouback or the Forester. And a lot more ground clearance than an Impreza.

That model should do very well up here in New England. They are not off road vehicles, but they are very capable in a variety of surface conditions. Seems like I can't ski any major mountain in New England these days without finding a new Subaru at the top of the peak, encased in hoar frost, decked out in US Ski Team livery. I've spoken to the ski patrol and they all insist they're driven up the mountain, not towed by the sno-cat.

FYI: it's likely made in Lafayette, Indiana.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 am

Let me see if I'm hearing you correctly. You have a budget of $25k, need to be able to go off-pavement without going full-4x4-retard-offroad, and wish to buy new. You also need to haul at least 4 people?

Hard to argue with a Subaru. A compact SUV might also fit the bill, like an Xterra or smaller Jeep.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 am

Pretty sure it's just a lifted Impreza, which is a pretty good car. Should be capable. After a little adventure I took last year with my Honda Pilot (which is just a 2WD Minivan with a lift kit) I've completely re-evaluated what a BOV actually needs to be for about 99% of people about 99% of the time.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:48 am

In Colorado your most likely to be going through snow right? How much deep snow do you get in your area? Clearence is the name of the game when it comes to snow. I wouldn't trust a lower siting car. It doesn't matter how good your 4 wheel drive is if your plowing snow with your bumper. I have an 08 Jeep Liberty and i love it. When I was in college in West Virginia it made it through all kinds of bad weather like a champ. A brand new Liberty Sport (what i have) MSRP is about 23-24k. You could find a used one cheaper but I wouldn't go older than a 08.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:21 pm

For commuter driving snow is an issue roughly 8 days a year. I now have a 2wd f150 and the clearance is the help there. I use good tires and make sure the tank is topped for extra weight, never had to sand bag it like I would in the NE when I was growing up. I drive at odd hours because I do shift work which is a double edged sword. Not much traffic and less people who think 4wd means 4 wheel stop, the flip side is that the plows aren't out at midnight when I am driving. I got mandatoried one time last year (lots of people not coming to work because of road conditions), since I car pooled I was stranded without a ride after a 16 hour shift. A buddy coming on shift lent me his older Subaru with bald tires to drive home and get some sleep since I had to be back in 8 anyway. I was impressed at how well it handled the mountain passes even with bald tires. The ground clearance on his car was sufficient but I like the idea of having more so the choice to go with the cross trek.

I also like the little more clearance for some of the dirt roads I use to get to hiking trails. Never needed 4wd but I am thinking for visits to family in the NE. Along the lines of better to have and not need.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

GSHX2 wrote:For commuter driving snow is an issue roughly 8 days a year. I now have a 2wd f150 and the clearance is the help there. I use good tires and make sure the tank is topped for extra weight, never had to sand bag it like I would in the NE when I was growing up. I drive at odd hours because I do shift work which is a double edged sword. Not much traffic and less people who think 4wd means 4 wheel stop, the flip side is that the plows aren't out at midnight when I am driving. I got mandatoried one time last year (lots of people not coming to work because of road conditions), since I car pooled I was stranded without a ride after a 16 hour shift. A buddy coming on shift lent me his older Subaru with bald tires to drive home and get some sleep since I had to be back in 8 anyway. I was impressed at how well it handled the mountain passes even with bald tires. The ground clearance on his car was sufficient but I like the idea of having more so the choice to go with the cross trek.

I also like the little more clearance for some of the dirt roads I use to get to hiking trails. Never needed 4wd but I am thinking for visits to family in the NE. Along the lines of better to have and not need.
Sounds like you've done your homework and are making an informed choice. My WRX is 10 years old, I bought it new, and other than the AC and the washer fluid tank leaking out, it has had absolutely no other problems that weren't the result of me doing something wrong. It's also modified and I drive the shit out of it every day.

There is probably someone on ZS or elsewhere on the Internet that has had a similar experience with a Jeep as a counter to my single anecdote.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Expedition Portal gives high marks to the Grand Vitara and props to the Toyota RAV 2 door AWD and the Honda Element which comes with a pop up camper. Who knew?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resourc ... world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've always bought used, because I can't bear the depreciation hit a new car takes. Here are some models to consider.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resourc ... er-5k.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:36 pm

I turned in my clunking Jeep Cherokee Sport (which I loved, it was my second one) for a 2010 Subaru Forester during the cash for clunkers nonsense. Best decision EVER! I love my Subaru. The Forester gets us around year-round here in the S. App. foothills with the doggy and all our gear. Whichever model you decide on, I cannot recommend Subarus enough. The newer Outbacks are hot too.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

A new BOV that's under 25K? You could try a Jeep Patriot...

It's a bit on the small side, but cubes out well when you stuff it, with a highway mileage around 30 mpg... (I wish Jeep still offered the diesel option!)

The basic Sport model, with manual transmission and 4WD should keep you well under 25K (including destination and taxes!) for the 2012 or 2013 model year:

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201205 ... /colors.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The "mineral gray" is probably the most environmentally-neutral color currently offered)

The 2012 Tacoma Zombpocalypse- by Haus Maus Fibers, Farthings, and More, on Flickr

And it's built in Illinois, (if that matters to you.)

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 pm

If Jeep still made vehicles with a straight 6, only then would I consider buying one again. Goodbye straight 6, may you rest in peace :gonk:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm

omega_man wrote:If Jeep still made vehicles with a CRD, only then would I consider buying one again. Goodbye straight 6, may you rest in peace :gonk:
This, but the CRD that was only in the Liberty for a couple years...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Ooh, I like that. I'm looking at picking up a new vehicle with a similar set of priorities to you sometime next year. Jeep Patriot was winning, but this is mighty tempting too...

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 pm

I had a Subaru for 6.5 years and it was a great car. When it's time to buy a car for me again it's one of the brands on my short list. With all-season tires, that thing got better traction in snow and slush than either of the Jeep Wrangler's I've had, and was way better than the 4wd truck I have now. In fact, one of my proudest moments in my car was on a day when people were sliding off the road into ditches and staying home from work and school. I got a ticket for "Excessive Acceleration" that day. :D

Now, we don't get snow in STL like you do in your area, so ground clearance is certainly a consideration. And that new 2.0 gets fantastic gas mileage, but it's a little pokey compared to some of the other engines Subaru offers.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Subaru man! Get it.

Also, would y'all mind if I moved this to the vehicle page?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Abel

Post by Abel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I have a 2007 Grand Vitara, and I've had zero problems with it. Basic maintenance, replace parts as they wear out (just did the rear shocks at 67,000 miles), that's it. I will say that I have wished the cargo area was a bit bigger sometimes, but it's got a ton of safety features, lots of airbags, and the back seats are roomy enough for two full-grown adults, much less kids.

Very accomplished off-road. Climbs like a goat on dirt/gravel, and very sure-footed in snow. To be fair, I haven't driven it in the kind of snow conditions the NorthEast gets, but it has dealt with mountain snow in New Mexico and the higher elevations of Arizona. All of that done on bone-stock suspension, and standard-sized tires.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm

All Subarus are AWD (all wheel drive), correct? Do they make anything with 4WD? Sorry if thats a dumb question. I've never owned one
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Hmmm, someone should just move this thread to the "I heart Subaru" forum... :crazy:

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:30 pm

They are making a diesel version of the Grand Cherokee next year I think. It's not under $25k but I thought it worth mentioning.

Hard to argue against the Subaru.

Vicarious_Lee

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:15 pm

74 or more wrote:All Subarus are AWD (all wheel drive), correct? Do they make anything with 4WD? Sorry if thats a dumb question. I've never owned one
They now have the BR-Z, which is a RWD sport coupe. It finished ahead of the McLaren MP4 12-C in Motor Trend's "Best Drivers Car 2013" to take 4th place. :shock:

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 pm

AR>Glock>Subaru>PBR :ooh: (actually, the aforementioned in any order is A-OK with me)

awmiscool

Post by awmiscool » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
74 or more wrote:All Subarus are AWD (all wheel drive), correct? Do they make anything with 4WD? Sorry if thats a dumb question. I've never owned one
They now have the BR-Z, which is a RWD sport coupe. It finished ahead of the McLaren MP4 12-C in Motor Trend's "Best Drivers Car 2013" to take 4th place. :shock:
And a 0-60 of almost 8 seconds with auto! A family sedan from late 90's is faster. Yeah yeah yeah "handling", but still. If grandma can beat you in her toyota camry, I don't think its worth buying.

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Subaru man! Get it.

Also, would y'all mind if I moved this to the vehicle page?
Oopps! I kinda live on the equipment page and forget that there are others :oops:

Packing my bags, move away!

100% Skill, 50% Luck

Vicarious_Lee

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

awmiscool wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:
And a 0-60 of almost 8 seconds with auto! A family sedan from late 90's is faster. Yeah yeah yeah "handling", but still. If grandma can beat you in her toyota camry, I don't think its worth buying.
Wait for the turbo model, and lots of people like cars like this because you can actually thrash them on public roads. A Corvette Z06, not so much.

Return to “Transportation”