What Roof Baskets?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

What Roof Baskets?

Post by Cadillac » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:05 pm

So, in my search for a BOV, I'm also doing some stuff to my xB. I already have an inno rack on it that I love. Now I'm looking at a roof basket for my spare tire/camping gear. What roof baskets are you guys using on your vehicles and how do you like them? I know most xB drivers use the Yakima, but that's a bit pricey of a rack. So what about you guys? (Don't really care what vehicle you have it on as they are somewhat universal.)
Benjamin
ZSC:052 Chapter President

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: What Roof Baskets?

Post by Caenus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 pm

I just use discountramps.com. They are cheap and the mounting hardware is ok-ish. I used my own mounting brackets.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

Post by Cadillac » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Caenus wrote:I just use discountramps.com. They are cheap and the mounting hardware is ok-ish. I used my own mounting brackets.
I was looking at the Rage Black Widow from them.
Benjamin

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm

I have the stingray mounted on my tonneau covers.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Domindart
Favorite Zombie Movies: any

Post by Domindart » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I had a Yakima , but bought it used off of Craigslist.
sig and a shotgun so far...

skruface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by Romero or Argento

Post by skruface » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Gobi baskets are super nice, and super expensive.

http://www.gobiracks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:27 am

and a little bit cheaper but the same quality are the BajaRack if it hasnt been mentioned yet.
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:39 am

I really like those Gobi and BajaRacks. They are nice. I think since it's not really going to have offroad use (as it's going on my DD) I may get the Rage Stingray Low Profile. But, please keep posting suggestions. If you guys can, post pictures of what you have too. We can make this a big collective thread of roof baskets for reference.
Benjamin

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 am

yepp, here ya go

http://www.discountramps.com/car-top-ca ... -racks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

nickchowell

Post by nickchowell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 am

http://www.surcoinc.comSurco makes a couple of different styles, one being a regular safari type basket and the other, what they call an urban rack (I think that's it), is low profile with no sides I believe. They aren't terribly expensive either compared to other companies like.

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:16 am

Caenus wrote:I have the stingray mounted on my tonneau covers.
Do you have a picture of it? I just want to get an idea of the size of it (I assume you mean the stingray from discountramps? )
Benjamin

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:46 am

Baja Racks makes some nice stuff as well, especially if you are considering incorperating a roof-top tent at some point.

http://www.bajarack.com/racks

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 am

Cadillac wrote:
Do you have a picture of it? I just want to get an idea of the size of it (I assume you mean the stingray from discountramps? )
Yup, from discountramps

Loaded up:

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am

Caenus wrote:
Cadillac wrote:
Yup, from discountramps

Loaded up:

I like that. looks about the right size for my car. Definitely think I'm going to go with that one.
Benjamin

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am

You might want to check into receiver hitch cargo baskets as well. Cargo is out of the wind so only the weight affects mpg. Weight is also kept low so it reduces rollover risk. On the negative side, weight is well behind the rear axle and unloads the front so there will be a noticeable understeer if you tend to corner quickly.

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 am

Tater Raider wrote:You might want to check into receiver hitch cargo baskets as well. Cargo is out of the wind so only the weight affects mpg. Weight is also kept low so it reduces rollover risk. On the negative side, weight is well behind the rear axle and unloads the front so there will be a noticeable understeer if you tend to corner quickly.
I don't know as though a hitch one would be the best for my application. The only things that will really end up going up there is camping gear when I go, and possibly a spare tire. My ski's are the only other thing that regularly go up there. I injured my leg in the army, so I haven't been as active as I'd like over the past couple years. I'm hoping that these kinds of things will force me to go hiking/biking/kayaking more. (Hey, if I spend the money, I need to justify it!) haha.

edit: oh, and I currently get 28mpg out of my vehicle, with a roof rack on it. I figure the empty basket, which is what it will be rather often, shouldn't lower it more than maybe a couple mpg.
Benjamin

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am

Cadillac wrote:edit: oh, and I currently get 28mpg out of my vehicle, with a roof rack on it. I figure the empty basket, which is what it will be rather often, shouldn't lower it more than maybe a couple mpg.
Empty basket will depend on how fast you drive - drag caused by speed isn't linear, it's exponential, but losing .5 mpg when you get 28 isn't as big a deal as losing .5 mpg when you get 19. :D Loaded you'll lose 2-4 mpg, depending on speed again. I agree with you on the full size spare not working, but with you already having a rack up there already the rest is very doable.

Mostly I wanted to throw out the idea that there is more than one way to defur a feline. Circumstances dictate what's the best choice and for you I'd have to agree a roof top basket would probably be best, mainly because of the spare.

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Here is my current setup: Image

Just an Inno Rack and Fairing on top of my 2011 xB.

Today I ordered the rack (ended up going with this one from discountramps.com Image

and I ordered a proline blizzard ski rack (3 pairs of skis) Image

i'll post pictures once they come in. The rack is only 36" wide and the ski rack is 17" wide (for a grand total of 53" wide.) My rack is 47" wide from the inside portion of the mounts, but 58" wide total, so I'm trying to figure out how difficult it will be to mount them over top of the mounts. We will see.
Benjamin

Domindart
Favorite Zombie Movies: any

Post by Domindart » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 pm

yakima

sig and a shotgun so far...

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:45 pm

just found out Discount ramps is just a few towns over, will be here tomorrow.
Benjamin

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 pm

UPS says the basket arrived. Excited to get home and put it on.
Benjamin

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Got it all together and put on the car:

Benjamin

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Road test! :)

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 am

Tater Raider wrote:Road test! :)

Haven't filled it with stuff yet, but as far as initial impression is that the quality is MUCH better than I expected. It is sturdy and the metal is quite heavy duty. I went with the smaller rack so that I can fit my Ski Rack next to it. The way it attaches to the bar is pretty simple. I still need to see if I can find a way to lock the attaching points, right now it's just like wing nuts. But overall I am very impressed and plan on getting a few more of the Rage brand of products.
Benjamin

Return to “Transportation”