Winter Car kit

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Richter

Winter Car kit

Post by Richter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I've been lucky that I didn't have to drive far or in the freeways in this recent heavy snowfall but one day I will have to. I have my GHB but I am wondering what you guys keep in your car for winter. Chains? food? Water? towing/pulling equipment? flashlights? I'm looking to "winterize" my Jeep even further.

Please describe what you have and if possible, post pictures. Thank you

Lugnut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead!!

Re: Winter Car kit

Post by Lugnut » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm

I have an AWD sedan and keep a box in the trunk.

I have the following in it right now:

Heavy fleece blanket
Heavy jacket
reflective vest
slime brand fix-o-flat
tow/snatch strap
road flares
LOTS of hand/foot chemical warmer packets
8x10 tarp
100' of 3/16" poly line
D-cell flashlight with extra batteries
$200 for tow truck/gas/ride/whatever might be needed
A good book
Jump box
FAK I put together myself

I'm missing my reflective triangles and my ice scraper. Need to add some snacks tooo.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Good thread question

We worry about avalanches here, a lot. Spring is the worst time for these. Get stuck between a pair and you will be stuck for a long while. So we carry:
2 wool blankets
Heavy gloves, wool hats and scarves (we have Arctic quality coats at all times in the winter)
Shovel (for snow)
Coleman single burner stove (multifuel) and 1 qt of fuel
Small Coleman cook kit
1 qt thermos (filled B4 we leave home)
Mix of freeze dried food, Clif bars and other snax foods
Extra batteries for the ham rig
VS 17 panel
Loose books
And all the usual car stuff - flares, jumpers, tool kit, etc., etc.
Since we have 4x4 and studded snows, no chains.

Most of the time we plan ahead & wait till they finish doing their 105mm cannon work (Alaska DoT - the most heavily armed road crews in the US) and have the snow moved off the roads. On bad years we lose a couple of cars to the snow. Or bulldozers....or a train.

Mostly, it is just waiting for the bulldozers to get finished.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:54 pm

I keep a similar kit to the two above, but I also have a few extras such as a Swedish army evac blanket, a thermarest pad, a complete set of warm clothes, spare pair of boots, 2 tarps(one canvas, the other poly), an alcohol stove setup, a box full of food, 2 1/2 gallons water, 2 gallons gas, an Alice pack that most of it rides in.

Edit to add that I have a korean war vintage E-tool and My Kabar Kukhri in the car too.
Last edited by Dawgboy on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

urthshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, etc.

Post by urthshu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:01 am

We get blizzards a lot up here in NY. I keep:

a AAA Road Kit which has the red blanket, jumper cables, signal flare, fix-a-flat and FAK amongst other goodies.
a folding shovel
towing straps
solar flashlight & a regular one in the AAA kit
some carpet remnants
a bag of sand
two emergency candles in tins
snacks, like cliff bars
a handheld cb
a GHB [which includes an esbit stove & coffee fixins]
simple tools, like sockets and wrenches
Duct tape
bailing wire
those hand warmers hunters use all the time
snowshoes
spare cellphone - a $20 nokia
$30 in small bills
and a gas can.

This is geared towards moving the damned car first, then getting help, then spending a night or 2 in the car, then ditching it - in that order. It would take a lot to get me to ditch it in winter.

edit: I always keep water in the car, so didn't think of that.
Let’s Add Graphic Warning Labels to the Communist Manifesto

Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan

Post by Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:35 am

I drive a FWD audi.
Got a very basic kit in the trunk.

*Spare tire + tools to swap tires.
*Starter cables.
*12volt halogen search light, corded.
*An old blankett.
*A few pares of 'working gloves'.
*Engine oil,1 gallon.
*Radiator fluid.
*A pack of babywipes.
*Towstrap
*Haynes manual for my car
*Snow shovel

Basic FAK in the glove box.
Icescraper and maps in doorpockets.

The only real "winter kit" is the snow shovel. The rest is kept in the trunk all year.
Might be missing something. I'll have to check it and update.

*Edit* A smallish snow shovel ofc. */Edit*
Last edited by Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:35 am

thanks for the replies so far guys. Some good ideas here....
urthshu wrote:This is geared towards moving the damned car first, then getting help, then spending a night or 2 in the car, then ditching it - in that order
I like this idea
TacAir wrote:Most of the time we plan ahead & wait till they finish doing their 105mm cannon work (Alaska DoT - the most heavily armed road crews in the US)
we have them too, maybe not as many since we are not Alaska but we're putting it down too lol

maybe depending on how many responses and pictures we get, the mods can make this a sticky???
Last edited by Richter on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

WESBC

Post by WESBC » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:26 am

On top of what I normally carry http://wesleycatig.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... d-out.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'll toss in another hoodie for those chilly 50°F socal nights :)

Richter

Post by Richter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:21 am

bump, still wanna see what others carry

Lugnut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead!!

Post by Lugnut » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:23 am

Richter wrote:bump, still wanna see what others carry
Same here.

I noticed the local hardware store has short little shovels for $12 might pick one of those up later today and throw it in the trunk for snow.

Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan

Post by Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:50 am

A small shovel is a great tool to have. Last winter I had to do some inspired driving to avoid hitting a deer. Ended up with the car across the road and both bumpers stuck in snow. Did some digging and managed to get out in a couple of minutes, without the shovel I would had to wait for someone to tow me.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am

For those of us living in semi-arctic climates: a pair of insulated work gloves. Reflective.

And a spare fuse or two takes little place, and can be the difference between misery and comfort.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Redemption
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Bruce Campbell

Post by Redemption » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Good ideas/kits everyone.
I wanted to suggest adding
tire plugs to everyones kit and a 12v
compressor.
I live in a very wooded area and often need
a chainsaw to get anywhere so that's in there too.

*edit to add: I used to keep salt/sand/kittylitter in my
jeep but found we rarely needed it, and the temps we
get usually won't allow the salt to melt anything anyway.
I'm your Huckleberry.

Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan

Post by Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Instead of salt. You could get a second rubber floor mat for the trunk. I've used my rubber floor mats when stuck in snow and they work pretty good, but are too small to be quite honest.

For those living in rural areas with bad roads, maybe one of these would be a good addition to the winterkit?

Google tirfor for more info

Richter

Post by Richter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:42 pm

Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan wrote:Instead of salt. You could get a second rubber floor mat for the trunk. I've used my rubber floor mats when stuck in snow and they work pretty good, but are too small to be quite honest.

For those living in rural areas with bad roads, maybe one of these would be a good addition to the winterkit?

not a bad way to get pulled out of the snow...

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Good post as I was planning to assemble my kit.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

XtraBright

Post by XtraBright » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Richter wrote:
Kn'a'ckeH'a'xan wrote:Instead of salt. You could get a second rubber floor mat for the trunk. I've used my rubber floor mats when stuck in snow and they work pretty good, but are too small to be quite honest.

not a bad way to get pulled out of the snow...
Those things are great and i can recommend them but i would add a winch anchor for situations when the next tree is 400 yards away...

A more massive approach is the "cross" we use to winch or save trucks and trailers until the crane arrives.

2 massive flat irons with holes (left, center, right) are put on the floor making a cross. The ends are fixed with long (2 feet) earthnails while the center contains an earth nail with ring.

Once set up the winch and cable are basically the limit of forces.
"Heisenberg may have been here."

urthshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, etc.

Post by urthshu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Lugnut wrote:
Richter wrote:bump, still wanna see what others carry
Same here.

I noticed the local hardware store has short little shovels for $12 might pick one of those up later today and throw it in the trunk for snow.
I just got a pair of cold war era eastern euro folding shovels from the surplus dept @ sportsmansguide. Seem OK enough. But I've gotta say, the last thing I want to ever do is dig out my car with a little folding shovel - its more for busting ice around the tires than anything else. A full-sized, or kid's, snow shovel thrown in the trunk is a better way to go IMHO.

urthshu

Post by urthshu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Thats what my scraps of carpeting is for. Heck, you can cut 'em off free for yourself if anyone's throwing out a rug.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:56 pm

I have basics-tow strap, a farm jack (Hi-Lift) that doubles as a sort of come along if needed. I have a wool blanket, an emergency bivy sack, some snacks, some water, a basic toolkit, a good FAK, a reflective vest, an avalanche shovel (basically its a collapsible snow snowshovel I used to use when mountaineering), and a CB radio. My goal too is to get unstuck first, then hoof it if needed. The blanket is more in the event I have to wait out rescue. I have a Wrangler, so I am more concerned with a rollover than getting stuck.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Richter

Post by Richter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 am

does anybody have any extra clothing in your cars? I don't know about you but I don't usually wear extra heavy clothing when I am only going from the car to the inside of a building. I usually only wear some jeans, skater or tennis shoes a t-shirt and a fleece jacket. Maybe thin gloves. So clothing would be a good idea, right? or would it be too much junk in the trunk?

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 am

Richter wrote:does anybody have any extra clothing in your cars? I don't know about you but I don't usually wear extra heavy clothing when I am only going from the car to the inside of a building. I usually only wear some jeans, skater or tennis shoes a t-shirt and a fleece jacket. Maybe thin gloves. So clothing would be a good idea, right? or would it be too much junk in the trunk?
Depends on the climate?

A blanket is ALWAYS useful, multipurpose, and generally good to have. Heck, have a thin fleece one for every seat in the car.
If you ever have a car breakdown in the middle of nowhere you'll be able to; block out the sun, or insulate to keep warm, or make an improvised poncho/kilt/whatever, or improvise a sleeping mat, or have a picnic without getting your $ss wet. Amongst many, many other things.

A couple of thin wool clothing items takes little space, and adds a lot of survivability/comfort (hats, gloves, buffs, socks, underwear).

I recently had a little taste of the ZPAW (i.e. I spilled a full mug of coffee on my lap... thankfully not scalding hot), and sure was thankful for the spare pants'n'underwear in my trunk.

In my case, since I live next to the North Pole, I also have a seriously thick wool jacket, but that's probably too bulky to be justified in most climates...
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

WESBC

Post by WESBC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:35 am

I keep a spare set of clothes in my car at all times.

Levi's 501's, (used to be an old pair of boot cut jeans, and when I finally had to use them, I felt weird)
Polo Shirt
Under shirt
Socks (black and white)
Boxers
Multiple gloves
Beanie
Hoodie
Extra Hoodie
Blanket

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 am

Sorry, I DO carry an extra pair of pants, a feece layer, and a windproof layer, in my jeep. I posted late last night. But, I normally dress for the weather. Again, the change of clothes is in the last ditch plan of walking out-I will have dry clothes with me.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Return to “Transportation”