Stupid Little Things That Hurt Like Hell

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Re: Stupid Little Things That Hurt Like Hell

Post by maldon007 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:56 am

Not exactly minor, but seemed like a minor threat... Screwing in a drywall screw, bit slipped off, went through the outside edge of my thumb. For gods sake, dont lean on the drill while you're holding the screw! Get a fancy holder bit or tap start with a hammer.

Raising up my head under an open cabinet door sucks as well, especially with sharp cheapo mica corners.

Burnt fingers from lightbulb changes.

Poke yourself in the eye with the arm of you sunglasses.

Throwing out your back on some stupid thing, like trying to hold open a heavy door & grab a bag of groceries.

My favorite of all time, throwing out my back, while running a dozer, because I was trying to dodge a hornet buzzing my face... wtf! Then, in true chain reaction form, this happened (on my kids eyes)...

1. Back was so twisted I couldnt drive, so boss tells a coworker to drive me home.
2. My old beater company truck had the fuel tank/pump for the equipment, so since I left it on the job, another guy used it while I stayed home to mend.
3. Guy fills his track-hoe with fuel, forgets the truck is right next to it (since he doesn't normally do so), starts up machine, turns the cab, the ass-weight crushes my trucks roof in, bends the axles as well, as it gets dragged in a 10' semi-circle, ending up against the tracks.

...but I got a new truck out of the deal, so waddya gonna do? Btw, one guy swore I somehow arranged it all, faking the injury & hornet story, to get a new company truck & a friday off :lol:

hamrad

Post by hamrad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 am

eating something that you should have let cool for another minute. the pain is brief but that raw feeling lasts a while and you can forget tasting anything else all day!

getting really sunburned and having to take a shower. not only does the water hurt but then you actually have to rub your skin! :gonk:

running around the church as a kid bare foot. looking back to see how close my friends were no doubt but failed to see the short wall of cinder blocks sticking about 6" out of the ground. toenail...gone!
KK4EMP

"we need a plan of attack."
"i have a plan...attack."

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 am

Actually guys, the shins? Hitting the shins is a physical torture method used by the SS and Gestapo in WWII................I'm serious.

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 am

Jamming a finger. Or worse, dislocating it, but that's a little more serious.

Jammed my finger trying to catch a softball once. Slammed right into the tip of my thumb. It hurts like hell and stays sore, swollen, and tender for weeks if it's jammed bad enough. Shit sucks.

Cracking your elbow on the edge of a table or a door, or on a passing snack cart while on a Delta Air flight from LA for my room mate's wedding last month! D:<

Let's not forget stubbing your toe, especially when you stub it bad enough to break the toenail. Then you've got to cut it way shorter than any mortal should suffer, and probably get hang nails, and those stupid bruises or whateverthefuck under the nail... Ugh.

If any of these happen to you, well, my advice: hang yourself. You'll thank me when it's over. :)

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 am

xd dude wrote:When I was on the swim team in high school, I was entering the locker room through the huge heavy metal door. Someone on the other side kicked it open and the bottom of the door ripped off my big toe nail. If you didn't know what happened, it would have looked like there was an animal slaughtered there.
No kidding! I was stunned at how much it bled when I tore that nail off.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

When your not really paying attention and you pull back the cuticle on your finger. Worse pain for the next few days.
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Worst injury I've ever had was falling off a bike and getting road rash on my entire left side. The whole side: face, shoulder, arms,torso, legs, feet. After getting my tonsils out, I made the mistake of drinking coffee 30 seconds after it was done brewing. Right away in the morning before I'd had any of the Vicodin the doc prescribed for the post-procedure pain.

None of that compares to: A) getting a cardboard cut UNDER a fingernail; or B) the cracks I get at the corners of my fingernails when winter gets really cold and dry.

My dad's had 3 herniated disks, gall stones, fell out of a van going 55 down a highway, etc, etc, but he swears the worst pain he's ever had was a twig (a twig, maybe 1/8 inch diameter) that dug itself 2 inches into-and-under his scalp while he was scouting for bowhunting.

I'm convinced that the little shit hurts worse than big stuff.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Manifolf stud on a Hemi pinning your thumb to the shock tower on a Durango.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:56 pm

1. Snapping plastic shelves together while not wearing a bra and pinching my lady parts in the shelf.
2. Ironing something to wear to work while extremely pregnant and accidentally passing the edge of the iron across my bare stomach.
3. Thai hot sauce in my eye.
4. Melting caramel in the microwave and then stupidly poking semi-melted sugar with a fingertip to see how melted it is and discovering that a) it's more melted than it looks, b) melted sugar sticks to skin, c) it sticks to fingers that are used to scrape it off the first finger, and d) melted sugar is like magma.
5. Having a 4 blade razor blade take a divot out of a fingertip when rummaging around in a cosmetics bag.
6. Accidentally stapling a finger at the office.
7. Taking a bite out of a boiled egg that was heated in the microwave and having the egg explode in my face, which caused a steam burn on my lips (not to mention the embarrassing puff of egg bits that coated my face and hair).
8. Using a knife to chip open the mouth of a bottle that was plugged with ice and having pressure from my other hand on the bottle cause the ice plug to eject from the bottle, hitting me square in the forehead, which left a painful knot and a tiny pinprick cut from the ice.

Peach

PotatoMuncher
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Anything Romero
Zombi 2
etc

Post by PotatoMuncher » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Back in 2007, I shut a .50cal feed tray on my right thumb. Not the best feeling in the world.
ZSC:40
Greater New Orleans

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 pm

BullOnParade wrote:Working in a machine shop you learn a few.

Tiny metal slivers - steel is way more irritating than wood. You'll go crazy if you don't get it out, even if (as mentioned above) it means cutting away a much larger area to be sure you get it.

Touching a grinding wheel - I've done it once, it wasn't deep, and it felt like constant rug burn for a week. I've heard horror stories of guys going deeper, I imagine an impromptu grinding of your finger bones wouldn't heal well in the best of conditions.
Syringe needles work great for getting metal splinters out, they are essentially a tiny scalpel and they definitively lessen the carnage(they actually cut cleaner, and they cause less of a ripping feeling than a scalpel does)

A powerful magnet is also a big help, especially with metal splinters in eyes.....

CarolinaPeach: thank's for number 4 :twisted:
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:09 pm

MasterMaker wrote:CarolinaPeach: thank's for number 4 :twisted:
Anytime, MasterMaker. I'm glad I could pass my knowledge along. :lol:

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:36 pm

As a welder 99.9 percent of my day is filled with hurty things. The absolute worst is melting a fingernail - yes, they will melt/scorch/burn you get to add the pain of a burn to the pain of tearing a nail off while adding the smell of cooking people.

M14fan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead

Post by M14fan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Stepping on a hair. Believe it or not, you can step on a hair, usually fresh from a haircut, in the neighborhood of 1/2 inch and cause it to penetrate your foot. Feels a lot like a thin shard of glass but almost impossible to find. Hurts with every step.
"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing.
I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing.
They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...And I won't." John Wayne in 'The Shootist'

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 pm

IANMCDEVITT wrote:Actually guys, the shins? Hitting the shins is a physical torture method used by the SS and Gestapo in WWII................I'm serious.
Pulling off nails or shoving things (like splinters) under them, is also a form of torture. Physically minor, VERY ouchy...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:31 am

In no particular order:

Salsa to the eye.
Splinters under the fingernail.
Puncturing fingertips with a guitar string.
Scorpion sting to the elbow.
Dropping a saxophone on bare feet.
Drilling into your finger with a drill press.
Flaming duct tape to the calves.
Stapled pinky.
Sizzling knuckles in the oven.
Chair leg smashed into your instep.
Thrown out back by way of violent sneeze.

I wouldn't call it pain in the typical sense, but the the most unbearable agony I ever felt was caused by swimming in a (unbeknownst to me) freshly chlorinated pool a day after getting a bad sunburn on my torso. The itching was so bad it felt like millions of bug bites all over my body. And no amount of showering or aloe Vera or any other concoction would make it go away. Lasted for several hours. I completely lost it.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Recon101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Degeneration, The Walking Dead, Dead, and 28 Days and Weeks later.

Post by Recon101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:03 am

Slamming fingers in doors
Stubbing "pinky" toe
Robe burn
Dropping a hammer on my foot
Salt in the Nose and Eyes (long story)
Critical Failure of a Plate Carrier and having the plates fall out scraping the shins and hitting the feet
Whacking my head off car trunk latches
Getting "karate chopped" in the throat

The single two most painful experiences in life. When I was 18 I worked for Service Auto Glass. It's a windshield wholesaler. Place was stacked to the 100 ft roof in windshields. We drove around these fork lift type machines that you stood on a raising platform like elevator to get the high windshields. Wearing a harness attached to the lift in case you fell. I had gone up about 30 feet, and I had parked a little far from the shelf. So I stretched a leg out, planted it on the shelf and grabbed the windshield. Something i've done 1,000 times before and somehow slipped, while somehow managing to hang onto the shield I felt a nut crushing force from my harness of my 230 lbs of weight and the 80lb windshield experiencing 310 some lbs of that special kind of pain that provokes the gut explosive puking sensation in the stomach and throat.

At which point I flailed, screamed, invented new words, and proceeded to curse in English as well as other languages I didn't even know I knew. After a long agonizing hospital visit, I was off work for three weeks with pay <.< and very, very disgruntled.

This was more painful then the time I accidentally shot myself in the upper right thigh. (I learned quickly, you get no bonus points for a fast reholster.) I was doing concealed carry drills with a hair triggered 1911, some fabric from my pants wedged into the trigger guard on reholster (IWB holster) causing just enough pressure to squeeze off a round.
"Typos brought to you by Auto Correct."

ZombieHunter556X45

Post by ZombieHunter556X45 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:35 am

About a year back my friend had got a nice brushed nickel finish .50AE desert eagle out of a trade. We were doing the usual fingering of a new to us weapon and this was the first time that I had ever held and got to play with one. I had no idea that the buffer springs were so strong on these bastards. I started to pull the slide to the rear and my sweaty finger tips slipped from the slide. It went flying back into battery and caught the webbing of my hand between the slide and the frame. Not a major injury save for my pride a little, but the pressure of the buffer spings was unbearable on the webbing of my hand. The way that slide and frame goes together is a booby trap. Safe to say, I was prepared next time I grabbed that slide.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

Sriracha in the eye.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:08 am

kbilly84 wrote:Worst injury I've ever had was falling off a bike and getting road rash on my entire left side.
Yeah, I've done that KB. The treatment I received in the ER was worse though: they had to remove all the embedded dirt and gravel with a wire brush.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:17 am

No particular order, but I can personally vouch for how bad all these things suck!

Metal baseball bat to the shin (10 years ago, and I am still having complications from it)
Metal slivers ( I've had hundreds, and they all suck really bad)
Those dreaded legos while barefoot
Walking behind someone in the woods and getting whipped in the face with a multi-flower rose bush branch
Using hand sanitizer on a open cut you didn't realize was there
Short fused blackcats
Getting stung from a catfish barb (almost always a guarenteed infection)
Overheating the bottom of your boots while propping your feet up around the fire (once the heat reaches your feet it's too late, and my boots are usually tied on tight, it is pure hell trying to untie them while your feet are getting scorched from rubber that is a few degrees below it's liguid state.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Blue-hot steel chip(from millingmachine) up my nose, where it burned itself a cozy little nest in my nose hairs, and kept on burning causing me to try to shove my entire fist up my nostril in a desperate attempt to get at it.......
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 pm

xd dude wrote:Sriracha in the eye.
jalapeno juice in the nose.
fiberglass splinters in my palm (because I was an idiot and didn't wear gloves when working with it like I'd been told. :oops: )
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Although it was no accident, I do have to add one more.
A suppressed memory from my ill-spent youth.

rock salt - applied sub-dermal via shotgun while attempting to navigate a 4 strand barbed wire fence. The range was a bit long, the salt was stopped just under the skin - the fence found and exceeded the puncture resistance levels of both jeans and skin.
I still to this day do NOT eat watermelon
at all
ever

Return to “First Aid”