Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:50 am

IllicitDreams wrote:The only thing I didn't see, (and I may have overlooked it while I was picking my chin up off the floor. If I did forgive the mistake.) were glucose gel packs.
You didn't miss them, I simply over looked putting them in there.

Thanks!

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:31 am

All right Gunny, pretty kick-ass setup you've got here, but this isn't a FAK anymore, but a Aid-bag. Furthermore, because the inclusion of IV, etc it isn't legal and usable for untrained people, as doc simon said in the sticky FAK post.

Now that's out of the way...

Holy shit gunny. This may be a silly question, but are you a medic?

My comments:

- I'dd put your NPA's in a small ziplock to prevent them becoming dirty.
- You need some sort of fat-marker pen (in addition to your other pens)
- Replace your EPI-pens with the Twin-ject versions?
- Maybe it's a good idea to use the pouch under the compartements where all the Kerlix is for gloves?
- Where are your gloves?
- Where are your EMT-sheers and duct-tape?
- Any reason you have the powder Quick-Clot instead of a ACS-version?
- I'dd replace the finger-splint with a couple of SAM finger-splints
- +1 on the ring-cutters
- I'dd add some things to your IV-sets like a opsite-dressing, 3-way saline lock, saline-ampule and syringe to flush your needle before connecting the IV.
- How about a IV-module from Statpack: http://online.boundtree.co.uk/Scripts/p ... oduct=1109
- How about a pocket-mask and some OPA's?
- Stetoscope and BP-cuff?
- A glucose-meter
- If possible, replace the Ashermans chest-seal with the Bolin chest-seal (BCS)
- Where did your SAM-sling go? :(
- I've run out of things to say...

*Edit* No I haven't:

- some instant cold-packs
- space-blankets
- write down on the compartements whats in them (for example write 'C.A.T.' on a piece of tape and stick that on the compartement that has CAT's in them
- Some instant-hot packs for your IV's. There are specific, reusable IV-heat-packs: http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_inf ... ts_id/2302
- Maybe a gimmick, but a cheap SP02-meter (puls-oxy meter)?
- Burn-treatment?

Nice job and I made a lot of suggestions, but of course my expectations go up a lot when you've got a bag like this...

Good job!
Last edited by JIM on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:46 am

This is my review, which is quite nick picky as you brought your medical bag to a different level. Obviously I dont mention stuff like this to most people's bags as they are not to a level where the things I mention are something for them to worry about. So that in itself should show my compliment for your bag. In case it doesn't... Excellent job my friend- I can say that this bag is stocked much better than most bags that army medics keep. I've certainly gone to the field with worse and what I have right now is marginally better, if at all. So here it goes...

Since you could, in theory, handle a total shit fest with this bag you might want to carry a pad as to write stuff down since you could treat multiple people with it. That way when EMS shows up you can track what you've been doing. Also, always good to have pen and paper in an emergency sich'eation.
Left Side. Note the attachment points: no idea what I'm going to do with those yet.
One of them are designed to hold a set of shears, the other usually holds a pen, knife, or gloves if anything. (for me at least)
1 ACE Bandage (which I've removed to help the bag close.
Just it on the bag and zip it up, it's not packed that tight. Pussy!

The two spare ETDs (From now on Izzys will be known as ETDs as that is the trade name they are headed towards, BTW ETD = emergency trauma dressing) you have under the kerlix will fit into the compartments with the other ETDs, I keep three in mine where you have two. It is a little difficult but you can get em in there. Then you can have space for BP Cuff, stethiscope, or the above mentioned note pad.
2 White 8 Hour Lightsticks
Are you sure those are white? They look like the infa-red kind to me, but I cant see all of them.

On your IV kits I think might have used a bit too much tape holding them together. I used to tape heavy like that but now I use much less tape, never had one fall apart on me. However sometimes with too much tape it's hard to get one apart. I also know they belong to your friend, but this is for everyone else reading's benefit, you might mention it to your friend.

If I were you I know exactly what I would put in that unused pouch...
A superb field medical reference. Your aid bag has medications and many other capabilities than trauma. If you need it for some sort of illness then you might want a reference to help diagnose. For that matter- if it is minor trauma that is giving you trouble a reference will still come in handy.

As soon as I post my aid bag (which sadly will be delayed a few more days, (god damn government computers)) I think that you will find a whole new way to store your pill meds in a more organized fasion and free up that pouch.

Get rid of that backwards flag, Ugh. Brady does that shit too... That patch goes on your right shoulder, one that goes on your bag should be normal. It's a felony for the flag to be on your bag like that. Also...

Get yourself one of these and welcome to the club of London Bridge Stomp II.
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:36 am

Damn... that's a kinda intense load out and equipment selection. I'd have reservations about the IV stuff. Not sure you might even want to be carrying that. ALS skills are legally restricted to on-duty, ALS certified personnel with active medical command.

But if you insist, then dump the ringers and stick normal saline. Ringers is not used for all situations, whereas normal saline pretty much is. I wouldn't go fucking with someone's electrolyte balances, especially their potassium, with no way to know what their levels are to begin with.

Did I miss the BP cuff somewhere? I can't begin to stress the importance of obtaining a blood pressure (if there is one).

No OPA's?
"Four things greater than all things are,—
Women and Horses and Power and War."
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:38 am

JIM wrote:Maybe a gimmick, but a cheap SP02-meter (puls-oxy meter)?
Unless he's got an O2 cylinder in that bag somewhere, a pulse ox will be a waste of space.
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:45 am

GanaEMT wrote:
Unless he's got an O2 cylinder in that bag somewhere, a pulse ox will be a waste of space.
I dont carry O2 but I have a pulse ox. When I call my SOAP notes up from the field that's part of what I must include.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 am

Gunny, that bag is COMPLETELY INSANE. In a good way. Perhaps I will do EMT-B training...

-Erik

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:00 am

Doc Simon wrote:
GanaEMT wrote:
I dont carry O2 but I have a pulse ox. When I call my SOAP notes up from the field that's part of what I must include.
Yeah, that gives me a different view. Being able to trend someone's O2 levels is helpful to the receiving team. I'm just used to low O2 = treat it.
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:22 am

Gunny, as a completely un-medical notation, the backwards flag is *only* for your right arm. The idea is that any US Flag displayed on the right side of a vehicle or uniform has to look like that, lest it look like one is travelling backwards or retreating.

Anything on the front or back gets a normal flag though.

EDIT: Oh, Simon covered it, but thats why it's done like that. Imagine a flag on a pole waving in the wind, and it makes sense. When you look at it from the right side, you want it streaming backwards from the standard when you're moving forward.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Gunny, you're bag has me sporting wood.

That is all.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:46 pm

JIM wrote:All right Gunny, pretty kick-ass setup you've got here, but this isn't a FAK anymore, but a Aid-bag. Furthermore, because the inclusion of IV, etc it isn't legal and usable for untrained people, as doc simon said in the sticky FAK post.

Now that's out of the way...

Holy shit gunny. This may be a silly question, but are you a medic?

My comments:

- I'dd put your NPA's in a small ziplock to prevent them becoming dirty.
- You need some sort of fat-marker pen (in addition to your other pens)
- Replace your EPI-pens with the Twin-ject versions?
- Maybe it's a good idea to use the pouch under the compartements where all the Kerlix is for gloves?
- Where are your gloves?
- Where are your EMT-sheers and duct-tape?
- Any reason you have the powder Quick-Clot instead of a ACS-version?
- I'dd replace the finger-splint with a couple of SAM finger-splints
- +1 on the ring-cutters
- I'dd add some things to your IV-sets like a opsite-dressing, 3-way saline lock, saline-ampule and syringe to flush your needle before connecting the IV.
- How about a IV-module from Statpack: http://online.boundtree.co.uk/Scripts/p ... oduct=1109
- How about a pocket-mask and some OPA's?
- Stetoscope and BP-cuff?
- A glucose-meter
- If possible, replace the Ashermans chest-seal with the Bolin chest-seal (BCS)
- Where did your SAM-sling go? :(
- I've run out of things to say...

*Edit* No I haven't:

- some instant cold-packs
- space-blankets
- write down on the compartements whats in them (for example write 'C.A.T.' on a piece of tape and stick that on the compartement that has CAT's in them
- Some instant-hot packs for your IV's. There are specific, reusable IV-heat-packs: http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_inf ... ts_id/2302
- Maybe a gimmick, but a cheap SP02-meter (puls-oxy meter)?
- Burn-treatment?

Nice job and I made a lot of suggestions, but of course my expectations go up a lot when you've got a bag like this...

Good job!
I'm not a medic, but I do know a little bit ;)

Let me address a few things you've mentioned (thanks sincerely for your analysis).

NPA's: I've never had them get dirty and honestly, I like having them where I can reach and grab one quickly. I DO however, need a few smaller ones.

Fat Marker Pen: I've 2 sharpies and 1 very large sharpie (with a chisel point which writes about 1/3 of an inch wide)

EPI Pens: I wish I had the Twin-ject versions, but as it stands I've two epi's and they work pretty damn well. I wouldn't mind a child's version though.

Gloves: I've added gloves into one of the empty cells as well as a few other stash points around the bag. So far, I don't like ANYWHERE I have the damn gloves, so I'll have to play with it. Ideally I'd have a pouch on the outside like EMDOM's Grobes pouch, but, meh, I can't attach it yet.

Sheers: They're in another FAK and I need to transfer them over.

Duct Tape: I don't have any (hangs head). I'll fix that tonight with a business card wrap's worth, or I'll stick a roll to the outside like Doc Simon does.

I've the granular Quik-Clot because it's what I have on hand. I do have a pouch of the ACS in my truck (which I wrecked and is in the shop) so I'll transfer that over soon.

Finger Splints: I'll pick up a few SAM splints, but for now, the splints I have work fairly well.

The IV's aren't mine, they're just for the demo.

I've got a pocket mask in the main slit pouch, but like the duct tape, I'd like to attach it to the outside somehow.

I've added my 'scope but need a BP cuff.

Don't have a glucose meter.

I like the ACS's and hope like hell I don't ever have to use them. How are Bolin's better?

No room for the SAM Pelvic sling just now.

I'll add some cold packs, space blankets and a note pad.

I've a pulse-ox meter I need to add.

I had a bunch of Burn-Gel that I gave away to Lizard's FD because their medics refused to treat the firefighters for burns one day.

Thanks again JIM :)

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Doc Simon wrote:This is my review, which is quite nick picky as you brought your medical bag to a different level. Obviously I dont mention stuff like this to most people's bags as they are not to a level where the things I mention are something for them to worry about. So that in itself should show my compliment for your bag. In case it doesn't... Excellent job my friend- I can say that this bag is stocked much better than most bags that army medics keep. I've certainly gone to the field with worse and what I have right now is marginally better, if at all. So here it goes...

Since you could, in theory, handle a total shit fest with this bag you might want to carry a pad as to write stuff down since you could treat multiple people with it. That way when EMS shows up you can track what you've been doing. Also, always good to have pen and paper in an emergency sich'eation.
Left Side. Note the attachment points: no idea what I'm going to do with those yet.
One of them are designed to hold a set of shears, the other usually holds a pen, knife, or gloves if anything. (for me at least)
1 ACE Bandage (which I've removed to help the bag close.
Just it on the bag and zip it up, it's not packed that tight. Pussy!

The two spare ETDs (From now on Izzys will be known as ETDs as that is the trade name they are headed towards, BTW ETD = emergency trauma dressing) you have under the kerlix will fit into the compartments with the other ETDs, I keep three in mine where you have two. It is a little difficult but you can get em in there. Then you can have space for BP Cuff, stethiscope, or the above mentioned note pad.
2 White 8 Hour Lightsticks
Are you sure those are white? They look like the infa-red kind to me, but I cant see all of them.

On your IV kits I think might have used a bit too much tape holding them together. I used to tape heavy like that but now I use much less tape, never had one fall apart on me. However sometimes with too much tape it's hard to get one apart. I also know they belong to your friend, but this is for everyone else reading's benefit, you might mention it to your friend.

If I were you I know exactly what I would put in that unused pouch...
A superb field medical reference. Your aid bag has medications and many other capabilities than trauma. If you need it for some sort of illness then you might want a reference to help diagnose. For that matter- if it is minor trauma that is giving you trouble a reference will still come in handy.

As soon as I post my aid bag (which sadly will be delayed a few more days, (god damn government computers)) I think that you will find a whole new way to store your pill meds in a more organized fasion and free up that pouch.

Get rid of that backwards flag, Ugh. Brady does that shit too... That patch goes on your right shoulder, one that goes on your bag should be normal. It's a felony for the flag to be on your bag like that. Also...

Get yourself one of these and welcome to the club of London Bridge Stomp II.
Doc, your turn:

I'm going to triple stack my ETD's (I'll miss the name IZZY) in those compartments like you mentioned and see how that works. I need to stop babying this bag, you're right.

I've a stack of Write in the Rain tablets, I'll toss one or two in.

Yup the light sticks are the 8HR White version. I've also a bunch of the IR ones, but as a civie, I don't have much use for them. Might add one, who the hell knows when I'll have to signal someone with NOD.

Which medical reference would you add? I'm all for the idea, thanks!

I'll ease up on the tape for the IV's and tell my EMT buddy your idea. It might be difficult to get at the IV's your right, just didn't want to lose something like the catheters.

Don't worry about the Flag guys, I've changed the front of my bag around a little. Pics to follow soon.

C-mon Doc, you let me off easy, fuck this bag up man. Don't be a pussy ;)

Oh, shit, forgot. I've got to get one of those patches.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:53 pm

GanaEMT wrote:Damn... that's a kinda intense load out and equipment selection. I'd have reservations about the IV stuff. Not sure you might even want to be carrying that. ALS skills are legally restricted to on-duty, ALS certified personnel with active medical command.

But if you insist, then dump the ringers and stick normal saline. Ringers is not used for all situations, whereas normal saline pretty much is. I wouldn't go fucking with someone's electrolyte balances, especially their potassium, with no way to know what their levels are to begin with.

Did I miss the BP cuff somewhere? I can't begin to stress the importance of obtaining a blood pressure (if there is one).

No OPA's?
Again, the IV's are a friend's, not mine.

I need a BP cuff and to move some of my OPA's from my little IFAK over.

Thanks for the read :)

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:33 pm

To make Doc and Crypto happy:

ETA:

Went for a hiking trip today and took some pretty decent pics of my new trauma bag. Behold :D

I got tired of lugging the bag around and decided to let our Sherpa carry/model the bag for everyone.

The only real complaint I had was that the 'chest strap' should've been named 'throat strap.'
As you can see here, it really rides WAY too high. Doc Simon, do you even bother with this strap? I love using the chest straps but in the instance, it's just impractical and uncomfortable.

That being said the bag is super comfortable to hike and all in all, it was a damn good way to spend $150 (yeah that's right, I stole the damn thing).

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Gunny wrote: The only real complaint I had was that the 'chest strap' should've been named 'throat strap.'
As you can see here, it really rides WAY too high. Doc Simon, do you even bother with this strap? I love using the chest straps but in the instance, it's just impractical and uncomfortable.
Actually, your "neck strap" as you call it can be slid down the shoulder pads as you will see if you play around with it for a little bit. For some reason they usually but the sternum strap in the middle or towards the top and I always need to adjust it since I'm shorter then most people. Way to know you're gear before you buy it.
Last edited by TheFreakinBear on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:37 pm

TheFreakinBear wrote:
Gunny wrote: The only real complaint I had was that the 'chest strap' should've been named 'throat strap.'
God Damn. You're a beautiful man Gunny.
Gee..thanks?

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Actually, Gunny, it was just me that got burned. I stayed too deep in the heat. 8)
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:35 am

No, I never use that strap, as a matter of fact it is much worse with armor on. I never hump this bag so I dont ever miss the sternum strap, I'm sure I would modify it if I had to move much with it. Try taking the sternum strap off of a camelbak, as theirs are removable, and putting it in a different spot on your aid bag.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:44 am

Hi Gunny,

The B.C.S. is better that the A.C.S. because it has 3 valves instead of just 1. A.C.S. can clog up faster than the B.C.S. Finally, the B.C.S. has a better glue so it sticks a lot better on bloody surfaces, unlike the A.C.S.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:58 am

Maybe some hemostats too, Gunny. Cheap and they don't take up much room.

Did you have any syringes? Useful for suctioning blood and other stuffs from the nose or mouth.

If you find you're short on space, I'd personally drop some of the kerlix to make room. That stuff is a hog for bag space.
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:36 am

Truly epic FAK; makes mine look like a pile of puke. Consider a LARGE syringe, like you can get from the vet section of a farm supply store. Makes emergency suction when NPA is attached( according to my wilderness EMT instructor, I've never used it); also the syringe can be used for deep wound cleaning, if you've been taught that.
Again, Awesome!
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

KeeblerNinjaClan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by KeeblerNinjaClan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:30 am

*begin soap box*
Are there tweezers? It ain't a first aid kit without tweezers. That's a sweet ass set up, but God dammit what if you have a splinter??? Then what?!? The little girl is crying because she has a splinter and you have no tweezers and can't help her. Talk about embarrassing.
*end soap box*

Seriously though, nice job on the bag. +100 for getting training to use the stuff too. Your gear always makes me jealous
Guns, Gear and Guy stuff
JibbaJabba wrote:Bottom line - you don't want stupid shit happening to you, don't do stupid shit in stupid places at a stupid time.

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:40 pm

KeeblerNinjaClan wrote:*begin soap box*
Are there tweezers? It ain't a first aid kit without tweezers. That's a sweet ass set up, but God dammit what if you have a splinter??? Then what?!? The little girl is crying because she has a splinter and you have no tweezers and can't help her.
He had scalpels.... I think you could remove a splinter the correct way with a scalpel, not so much with tweezers. Though tweezers are a good idea.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

mrkash

Post by mrkash » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Gunny wrote:-2 Tampons
Hmm... Being a guy, I never thought about this... Something I should add, I guess. (The simple things...)

Killer bag Bro! 8)
Mr Kash

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it - Burt Gummer

Return to “First Aid”