Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MadMichigander13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead 2 - Army of Darkness

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by MadMichigander13 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:45 am

I actually broke my kit up into 5 parts:
1. Trauma Kit in a MOLLE Medium pouch on my Pack's waistbelt:
a). 1x Isreali Bandage
b). 1x Quickclot Combat Gauze Pack
c). 1x 4x4 Quickclot-silver Gauze Pad
d). Cat Tournaquet
e). Snakebite kit
2). Main kit a the top of the main compartment of my ruck:
a). 1x 4x4 Quickclot-sliver Gauze Pad
b). 2x 2x2 Quickclot-silver Gauze Pad
c). 1x Quickclot Gauze Pad
d). 1x ACE 3" Compression Bandage
e). 6-8x 4x4 Gauze Pads
f). 3x Sam finger splints
g). triple-antibiotic ointment packs (at least 30)
h). 2x Burn-Gel bandages
i). Antihistimine
j). Immodium AD
k). Exlax
l). Betadine wipes
m). 3M NextCare bandages (medium, large, 4")
n). Motrin tablets
o). 2 packs of Oral rehydration salts
p). Scissors-Bandage
q). Tweezers
r). Liquid Crystal Thermometer
s). Face Mask
t). Nitrile Gloves.
u). Blister Kit
v). Moleskine
w). 3M medical tape
x). Wound closure strips
y). Sting relief wipes
3). Reserve supplies (in otterbox at bottom of ruck)
a). 2x packs of Oral Rehydration Salts
b). 2x Burn-Getl Bandages
c). Immodium AD
d). Exlax
e). Betadine Wipes
f). triple-antibiotic ointment packs
g). Role of 3M medical Tape
h). 2x Face Masks
i). 2x Nitrile Gloves
4). Field Minor Surgical Kit (Not yet packed)
5). SAM Splint at top of rucksack by Main Medkit.

The reason I don't pack nasal-airways, or chest seals; is because I figure if I get a groin-hit/sucking-chest wound/gutshot, I am probably hosed since I doubt I will have a surgeon with decent surgical facilities available. BTW Gunny, nice setup.

MadMichigander13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead 2 - Army of Darkness

Re:

Post by MadMichigander13 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Gunny wrote:
MarkTBSc wrote:Two things that have occurred to me with time and thought. Firstly on the subject of tampons and sanitary towels (I dearly hope I don't sound too weird saying this), you might want to consider the smaller version. By the look of the ones in your bag, you went for the applicator version. For the same size, you could fit in four or six of the tiny lil-lets. Also, they can be used for bullet wounds. Stick a tampon in a bullethole and it plugs it nicely.

Sanitary towels, the ones with wings and the adhesive strips? Perfect wound dressings. Just slap one on if you're out of other materials... Not to mention the girl-approved uses.

I can't take credit for these suggestions. I've just been reading too much John Ringo of late.

Secondly, a surgical set. You can find WW2 surgical sets on ebay. Forceps, hemostats, needle holders and clamps in a small package. Not too big and not too heavy. I'm not suggesting that you could use them, but if a doctor was to hand but without his equipment in an emergency situation then a surgical kit might save someone's life.
I appreciate your reply. Two things:

If you're using tampons in wounds, you either need to get more training or invest in some Kerlix. A tampon in a wound is the very last resort usually reserved for those who read about medicine on an internet forum ;)

Secondly, I've got a complete surgery set sufficient for debriding, suturing and similar. Did you read my contents list?
I got a field minor surgery set from the military surplus store I frequent nowadays, it is made in Pakistan. You'll have to check the intruments over, the pin-probe on mine had a burr on it; and they will have to be sterilized. The only way I could think of doing that was to boil the instruments, then add either hailzone (water purification), or chlorine bleach.

MadMIchigander

Lybrion1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Lybrion1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Great bag, probably will fix mine up to be more universal like yours. That being said, however, I would like to make a suggestion. Dental first aid gear. Temporary dental caps, oragel, maybe even dental tools, including extraction pliers. In an apocalyptical world, dental hygine may be a bit neglected, but as most of us have had first hand experience, dental pain can be quite distracting. Just a thought.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Lybrion1 wrote:Great bag, probably will fix mine up to be more universal like yours. That being said, however, I would like to make a suggestion. Dental first aid gear. Temporary dental caps, oragel, maybe even dental tools, including extraction pliers. In an apocalyptical world, dental hygine may be a bit neglected, but as most of us have had first hand experience, dental pain can be quite distracting. Just a thought.
2nd that...that's my next major FAK purchase, and dental emergency kit. A tooth/mouth injury will take you out of the fight FAST!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Throw some clove oil in any emergency dental repair bag, it is an effective numbing agent, works even directly on exposed teeth. Cheap stuff, works great.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Lybrion1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Lybrion1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Forgot about the clove oil...Good call...I have used it myself in a pinch. Works pretty good.... Thanx....

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 am

I'm just posting here to say...damn...nice job andto steal ideas for my truck kit...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 am

LEO here, just bought a bunch of stuff from the OP to stock up my bag. Thanks a lot guys!
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Return to “First Aid”