Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

reversibleraincoat
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 4:13 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness.
Location: Olympia

Post by reversibleraincoat » Sun May 18, 2008 12:17 am

Some women don't use tampons, so you might want to pack some pads as well. Also, I don't know how well pads would work as wound dressings - the adhesive side is opposite the absorption side, and the adhesive is terrible, so they wouldn't stick independently of tape. Might as well use some gauze and avoid the funny looks from the patient. :)

User avatar
Gunny
* * * * *
Posts: 11095
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Post by Gunny » Sun May 18, 2008 12:40 am

reversibleraincoat wrote:Some women don't use tampons, so you might want to pack some pads as well. Also, I don't know how well pads would work as wound dressings - the adhesive side is opposite the absorption side, and the adhesive is terrible, so they wouldn't stick independently of tape. Might as well use some gauze and avoid the funny looks from the patient. :)
Couldn't hurt for sure.

And welcome to the forums :)

User avatar
colinz
* * * * *
Posts: 2602
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Brisbane

Post by colinz » Sun May 18, 2008 12:45 am

Nice bag Gunny!! I am very jealous. :)

I don't see any burn treatment stuff in there though?

User avatar
Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3577
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Ft. Polk LA
Contact:

Post by Citizen Simon » Sun May 18, 2008 8:12 am

JIM wrote:You can apply all the gauze in the world: it won't help. You need both gauze AND pressure to stop a (serious) bleed.
I think after the first 90 to 100 pounds of gauze you applied you could stop bleeding with gauze without applying any pressure yourself... :twisted:

All the gauze in the world is a lot of gauze. :lol:
Image
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

User avatar
Gunny
* * * * *
Posts: 11095
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Post by Gunny » Sun May 18, 2008 1:41 pm

Doc Simon wrote:
JIM wrote:You can apply all the gauze in the world: it won't help. You need both gauze AND pressure to stop a (serious) bleed.
I think after the first 90 to 100 pounds of gauze you applied you could stop bleeding with gauze without applying any pressure yourself... :twisted:

All the gauze in the world is a lot of gauze. :lol:
Heh you could just wrap the patient in gauze like a mummy like I do. That method works everytime some of the time. ;)

IAmWillIAm
*
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:50 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Resident Evil(s)
The Evil Dead
Contact:

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by IAmWillIAm » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:24 am

This is kind of off topic, but still has to do with your trauma kit, Gunny. I understand that you are carrying this kit in your BOV (Which I'm assuming is also your main transport vehicle) and so you might want to include some a fire extinguisher (I'm sure you already got one of those, though) road flares or strobe light, and seat belt cutters/window punch-- if not in your trauma bag, then at least in the trunk of your BOV-- in case you come across a car wreck.

I say this only because (at least where I come from, where there be some crazy b*tches on the road) you're probably more likely to witness or come across or be involved in a car wreck than anything else. (Again, this is me assuming, and as we all know, if you make an assumption you are an ass and an ump will shun you).

And if you can find the room in that beast of a bag, I'm sure you could slip the jaws of life in there somewhere :lol:
P.A.C.E- Primary Alternate Contingency Emergency
Always Be Prepared.
LowKey wrote:" Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons (A.6157/Titone);"

All of them. Even the dreaded assault flintlock used by "assault troops" during the war. The Revolutionary War....

colonelklink
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by colonelklink » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Awesome pack dude, but acu makes the baby jesus cry :(

User avatar
Gunny
* * * * *
Posts: 11095
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by Gunny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 am

colonelklink wrote:Awesome pack dude, but acu makes the baby jesus cry :(
I'd yell at you if your forum name wasn't so chock full of win.

The bag is London Bridge. It could be bright pink for all I care, but it's a $425 pack I got for $150.

IAmWillIAm: My truck squats due to my truck bag I keep. I'm good to go in that area. If you poke around the personal experiences section you'll see a few posts by me where I've rendered aid in MVA's. One of the main reasons I became interested in medicine was partly my talent for seeing wrecks happen and partly due to knowing Doc Simon.

Thanks for the ideas though, never hurts to cover all your bases.

colonelklink
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by colonelklink » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 am

Gunny wrote:
colonelklink wrote:Awesome pack dude, but acu makes the baby jesus cry :(
I'd yell at you if your forum name wasn't so chock full of win.

The bag is London Bridge. It could be bright pink for all I care, but it's a $425 pack I got for $150.

IAmWillIAm: My truck squats due to my truck bag I keep. I'm good to go in that area. If you poke around the personal experiences section you'll see a few posts by me where I've rendered aid in MVA's. One of the main reasons I became interested in medicine was partly my talent for seeing wrecks happen and partly due to knowing Doc Simon.

Thanks for the ideas though, never hurts to cover all your bases.

I'm just giving you shit dude :wink:

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by crypto » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:48 pm

colonelklink wrote:Awesome pack dude, but acu makes the baby jesus cry :(
I've come to love ACU. specially when it gets a little grimy/dusty.

It works.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3577
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Ft. Polk LA
Contact:

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:49 pm

crypto wrote:
colonelklink wrote:Awesome pack dude, but acu makes the baby jesus cry :(
I've come to love ACU. specially when it gets a little grimy/dusty.

It works.
Crypto you're mostly a good man, too bad you'll spend an eternity in a lake of fire over this post.
Image
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

exon111
* * *
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by exon111 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:16 am

crypto wrote:
colonelklink wrote:Awesome pack dude, but acu makes the baby jesus cry :(
I've come to love ACU. specially when it gets a little grimy/dusty.

It works.
ACU's don't work in the desert. The desert is brown not green! Plus there's a host of other problems like the ones mentioned here: http://backyardadventures.blogspot.com/ ... -acus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See, this is what you get when you say you love the ACU :D

User avatar
bethanyb
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by bethanyb » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 am

I know the new FAK has been up for a while but do you have a thermometer or tempadots? Also on the tampons things, I would switch to OB tampons. I carry them in my FAK, they are smaller and don't have an applicator so you wouldn't have to push the tampon out of the applicator to get to it.
I survived Zombie Con 2008! Filtered Manbath - A little bit of shame in every sip.
I survived Zombie Con 2009! There's is more than one Highway M off of Missouri Hwy 8.
I survived Zombie Con 2010! I jumped, skipped and flipped.
I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by crypto » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:44 am

+1 on OB tampons. I once had a truly ridiculous double nosebleed out in the middle of nowhere while driving, courtesy of dry winter and a cold.

I had a couple o.b. tampoons in the glove box and shoved one in each nostril and drove for 50 miles until it was done. You can really jam them up in there and apply direct pressure.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: central tx

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:47 am

crypto wrote:I had a couple o.b. tampoons in the glove box and shoved one in each nostril and drove for 50 miles until it was done. You can really jam them up in there and apply direct pressure.
That conjures up an image I really don't want to see.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

barbara
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by barbara » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:38 pm

How can we get one of these kits???

elricfate
* * * * *
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 am
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by elricfate » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:42 pm

crypto wrote:+1 on OB tampons. I once had a truly ridiculous double nosebleed out in the middle of nowhere while driving, courtesy of dry winter and a cold.

I had a couple o.b. tampoons in the glove box and shoved one in each nostril and drove for 50 miles until it was done. You can really jam them up in there and apply direct pressure.
You keep tampons in your glove box?

My fiance forced me to carry an extra pair of her socks in my glove box (new and clean, thank god) ... but I won't (read: REFUSE TO GIVE UP THE RIGHT TO MY OWN DAMN GLOVE BOX) let her keep tampons in it.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

barbara
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by barbara » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:50 pm

I will ask you again, how do we get one?

User avatar
Ovationman
* * * * *
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: Check VA

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by Ovationman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:11 pm

barbara wrote:I will ask you again, how do we get one?
Get what?

User avatar
JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by JIM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Ovationman wrote:
barbara wrote:I will ask you again, how do we get one?
Get what?
By making an introduction post, filling in some stuff in your profile, getting the apropriate medical training to use the supplies usually found in these kinds of bags, getting those supplies and then taking a look at these threads: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 43&t=23901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=stomp+II" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also there has been a lot of recent threads about STOMP-II bags. You might want to use the search-function. Try to search for: 'STOMP-II' .


Welcome to ZS.
Image

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Paragon
* * *
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by Paragon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm

barbara wrote:How can we get one of these kits???
Twelve fucking minutes later impatient barbara wrote:I will ask you again, how do we get one?
Gunny bought his on sale at Rite-Aid. I'd suggest checking there first. Don't be afraid to ask the store manager to special order one for you if you can't find any left on the clearance table.

Welcome to ZS.

Jim

User avatar
Gunny
* * * * *
Posts: 11095
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by Gunny » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Paragon wrote:
barbara wrote:How can we get one of these kits???
Twelve fucking minutes later impatient barbara wrote:I will ask you again, how do we get one?
Gunny bought his on sale at Rite-Aid. I'd suggest checking there first. Don't be afraid to ask the store manager to special order one for you if you can't find any left on the clearance table.

Welcome to ZS.

Jim
Dude don't be a dick. Go read our rules.

Barbara: drop me an email to gunny@zombiehunters.org and I'll help you get started. An introduction post might not be a bad idea as well.

User avatar
Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3577
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Ft. Polk LA
Contact:

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by Citizen Simon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:08 pm

JIM wrote:
Ovationman wrote:
barbara wrote:I will ask you again, how do we get one?
Get what?
By making an introduction post, filling in some stuff in your profile, getting the apropriate medical training to use the supplies usually found in these kinds of bags, getting those supplies and then taking a look at these threads: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 43&t=23901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=stomp+II" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also there has been a lot of recent threads about STOMP-II bags. You might want to use the search-function. Try to search for: 'STOMP-II' .


Welcome to ZS.
Jim, if you were not a nurse, you would be my hero!
Image
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

User avatar
JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gunny's First Aid Kit **It is Reborn! Page 4&5 (Pics)**

Post by JIM » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Doc Simon wrote: Jim, if you were not a nurse, you would be my hero!
Sigged doc...

I'm starting to see a pattern in my sig line though... :twisted:
Image

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Post Reply

Return to “First Aid”