Ratz's Home Base First Aid Kit (HFAK)

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Ratz's Home Base First Aid Kit (HFAK)

Post by ratz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:15 am

Ratz's HFAK System (Introduction)

It's amazing after 17 years living in the same house all the different places where a family can squirrel things away. That was certainly the case with first aid supplies. Items were in multiple plastic shoe boxes on the same shelf, linen closets, bathroom cabinets, car trunks, workshop, medicine cabinets, our old 72 hour box and even kitchen cupboards.

The first step was to consolidate every first aid item, sort, then weed out any expired or questionable item. From those items, we distributed what we could to fulfill requirements of our other FAKs. What we had left was still a very robust, family first aid kit.

HFAK PHILOSOPHY OF USE
Our home base first aid kit (HFAK) was designed to provide a family of three with a centrally located system that provides basic to intermediate first aid for injuries resulting from non-life threatening, minor incidents that takes place in our home in a non-disaster scenario. Simply an “Ouch Box”.

Any traumatic injury requiring more advanced attention will be met with our Alpha First Aid Kit (AFAK) to stabilize the injury until emergency services can arrive.

All of our OTC needs are met with a separate module system kept in the same place as the HFAK and is organized by ailments:
  • · pain/fever
    · allergy
    · stomach/gastrointestinal
    · cold/flu
    · cough
SOURCING THE MATERIALS
This system was founded on a basic first aid kit, built by necessity and finally bolstered from leftovers from our other four FAK builds.

We designed each of our first aid/trauma kits to work stand alone specific to that particular need or together as an integrated system with built-in overlap and backups while being mindful of controlling redundancy and waste.

THE CONTAINER
Because our HFAK was to be a single point setup, the container had to be big enough to hold everything yet had to be organized in such a way where we could see everything at once and allow us get to what we needed quickly and without having to dig through layers of items.

The only thing we could think of was an EMT case with a cantilevered tray system like those offered by Pelican, Plano and Flambeau.

But at prices ranging from $60 to $320? Eh not so much. So I started investigating tackle boxes and found the Plano #8616 Hip Roof with 6 trays for $17 with Super Saver Free Shipping from Amazon. My father was so impressed with the deal, he asked me to order one for him two weeks ago at the same price. Unfortunately at the time of this writing, the price had jumped back up to $31. :gonk:

It may not be orange like and EMT/EMS case but my Plano 8616 cost only $17 and has two cup holders built into the top!

THE CONTENTS
Since this is a basic first aid kit with leftovers from my AFAK build, I'm going spare everyone and not list every component. Plus it's fun trying to identify everything from the pics. I must be honest, there a several Chinese herbal items in there that have gotten our family out of some pretty scary situations. One of them being golden seal powder which helps stop bleeding. 8-)

Well anyway, here it is! I hope it inspires others to organize their home FAK's and save money at the same time! Cheers!

The "Behemoth" measuring 18.5 x 10.7 x 10.5 inches and weighing in at 5lbs... empty :shock:

Adjustable dividers allow you to create 38-46 compartments. :o

Holds a lot of stuff with room to spare! :D
Last edited by ratz on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TacAir

Re: Ratz's Home Base First Aid Kit (HFAK)

Post by TacAir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 am

The dual tray system is usually better than a single tray system, - the box is less likely to tip.

Time to consider some hardware -
Otoscope - esp if you have kiddos or grand kinder to suport

BP cuff and 'scope fro prerssure checks - mostly for follow on home care.

A colbalt blue light and dye for checking for eye damage/debris

We keep our bulk FA supplies in the same storage area as the HFAK, in plastic bins.

The only thing I would add is a telephone list, poision control, docs phone number, other emergency numbers, family memebers and so on. Tape on the inside, top of box.

Thanks for the post.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Post by ratz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

TacAir wrote:The dual tray system is usually better than a single tray system, - the box is less likely to tip.

Time to consider some hardware -
Otoscope - esp if you have kiddos or grand kinder to suport

BP cuff and 'scope fro prerssure checks - mostly for follow on home care.

A colbalt blue light and dye for checking for eye damage/debris

We keep our bulk FA supplies in the same storage area as the HFAK, in plastic bins.

The only thing I would add is a telephone list, poision control, docs phone number, other emergency numbers, family memebers and so on. Tape on the inside, top of box.

Thanks for the post.
I liked the dual tray system for that same reason it was better balanced. As for the cuff, scope, cobalt light and dye... those are all still under consideration to be integrated into the AFAK.

Good idea about keeping the phone list inside the box... right now one list is by the phone and the other on the inside of the door of the closet where the HFAK and OTC modules are kept.

As always TacAir, thanks!

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Three words. Safety. Orange. Krylon. :D

ratz

Post by ratz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Ech0Sierra wrote:Three words. Safety. Orange. Krylon. :D
Yeah... I checked on this while I was waiting for it to arrive. In fact, Krylon "Fusion" comes in a Pumkin Safety Orange. Once it arrived 'tho. I decided to keep it a "sleeper". :wink:

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Inspiring, ratz. I still have two large drawers committed to FA and Trauma supplies, plus all the car kits, home kits, horse trail riding kits that would never even fit into the double door cabinet that holds all the kit bags...

Every several years I go into the abyss and toss a bunch of expired meds, expired topicals etc., and clean the cabinet and drawers whether they need it or not. (Do little piles of pill powder, mouse turds and dirt mean they need it?) And yes - it's a bit overdue again. I really do like the dual-tray plano boxes and like you, would never spring for 2X-4X the price for one that says "EMT" on the hangtag. I think I'll wander on down to WalMart or somewhere, and do the right thing... soon. Maybe. One or two more posts that shame me will probably do the trick. :oops:

ratz

Post by ratz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 am

Jorian wrote: I really do like the dual-tray plano boxes and like you, would never spring for 2X-4X the price for one that says "EMT" on the hangtag. I think I'll wander on down to WalMart or somewhere, and do the right thing... soon. Maybe. One or two more posts that shame me will probably do the trick. :oops:
Go forth brother and bargain shop. I tell you what is even more insulting. Plano is one of those companies that SELL the $200 EMT cases. Like we wouldn't tell or notice. :roll: Really?

Return to “First Aid”