Ratz's Alpha First Aid & Trauma Kit (AFAK) V1.0

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Ratz's Alpha First Aid & Trauma Kit (AFAK) V1.0

Post by ratz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am

Ratz’s AFAK System (Introduction)

Now that we've completed the blueprint of our Bug Out/In strategy, we thought we'd kick off the implementation of our plans with the building of our first aid kits. During our research, we realized how unprepared were were not only for large scale disasters but even for those unexpected medical ones around the house as well. That's when we decided that the first aid kits would be a great place to start and if for any reason our commitment for the entire project waned, we'd still end up with a pretty complete first aid/trauma kit for any unforeseen emergency.

In all there would be a total of five (5) first aid kits designed specifically to be integrated into our six individual systems:
  • · Bug Out Bag
    · Bug In Box
    · Get Home Bag (GHB)
    · Every Day Use (Home)
    · Vehicle Emergency Kit
    · Get Home Altoids Tin (GHAT)
AFAK PHILOSPHY OF USE
The largest of these kits is our Alpha First Aid Kit or AFAK which was designed to:
  • · Provide a family of three with advanced first aid/intermediate trauma solutions in a Bug Out/Bug In scenario for 72 to 120 hours
    · Serve as a backup trauma kit to our everyday home first aid kit
INJURY TYPE ASSESSMENT
We designed our AFAK to respond to the most common injuries resulting from the most likely threat that is specific to where we live and work. Since we live, work, go to school and play in San Francisco...EARTHQUAKE is the most likely disaster scenario.

After some research of injuries resulting from the most recent earthquakes in Northridge, Haiti and Japan, the most documented injuries included (in no specific order):
  • · lacerations
    · fractures
    · dislocations
    · burns
    · crushing
THE LIST
I started with a blank spreadsheet up on one screen and pulled up the First Aid forum from ZS Board and went through every post in every thread, one at a time, seeing what other members stocked their first aid/trauma kits and all the while keeping in mind the following questions for each item:
  • · Am I qualified or even know how to use this tool/technique?
    · Does this item meet the requirement of our system?
    · Does this treat the most common injuries we're likely to face?
    · Does this item point to something I missed in our requirements?
After compiling the first draft of the list for all of our kits, I slept on it for a few days, reviewed my list line by line, editing the items and tweaking the numbers. After two iterations, I now had my FAK shopping list. I gave myself a good deal of latitude to make adjustments as I went.

SOURCING THE MATERIALS
I went through the entire house, both cars, and every "emergency kit" we could find and laid out every bandage, tape, cold pack and OTC medications. You'd be surprised how much a family of three could accumulate over 20 years. I weeded through every piece, throwing out all of the old ointments, creams, swabs, wipes, and outdated OTC meds.

After everything was sorted, I fulfilled as much off our list with what we had. It wasn't much but everything helped, especially in the "Band-Aid" department. The remainder went back into the central "House FAK".

I did some spot searches on prices for key items on my list and checked out their prices along with shipping. Narrowed down the selection to two vendors, DealMed Medical Supplies and Chinook Medical Gear where I bought the bulk of my items. Then it was a matter of pulling up my spread sheet and going down the list of each item I needed and determining which of the two had the better price at the quantities I needed. Rescue Essentials, Amazon and eBay rounded out the rest of the items.

All of the OTC medications, personal care and less expensive items were purchased at bulk and/or on sale from local national supermarket chains, Costco and Walgreen’s.

THE BAG
I took a different route than many when it came to the selection of my pack. I decided to purchase all of the components first then find the smallest pack to carry them. It took close to three months to collect all of the items. As each shipment arrived, I placed the items in banker boxes until I had everything on my list.

All of the components packed tightly into 1-1/3 banker boxes, I did the math and determined that I needed about 2,400 cubic inches of storage. Took a look at a number of bags and it just happen that most STOMP packs were about 2,800 cubic inches.

I considered Blackhawk, London Bridge, Voodoo Tactical and a couple eBay no-names. All said and done, our decision came down to my intended use versus cost. We have no intentions of taking this camping or on treks or even training runs (we have a special bag just for that). This STOMP will only see field use during a bug out event.

Special thanks to everyone who contributed to the First Aid forums of ZS. Thanks for your advise, detailed information and inspiration.

We welcome any criticisms and suggestions to make our system a better one. So... without any further adieu, we humbly submit our AFAK V1.0 for your consideration and review. Check back from time to time as I'll will most certainly consider your suggestions.
Last edited by ratz on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Ratz's AFAK V1.0 Panels 1 & 2

Post by ratz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:12 am

Voodoo Tactical Field Medical Backpack, STOMP Bag (Black)

▲ First Panel (left to right)

Row #1
(4) Triangular (Cravat) Bandages, 40”x 40”x 56”
(8) Safety Pins

(1) Rothco 9-LED, 3 Mode Headlamp
(3) Energizer Lithium Ultimate AAA Batteries

(30) Dynarex Sterile 12-ply Gauze, 4”x 4”

Row #2
Burn Module
  • (10) Water·Jel Burn Jel, 3.5g
    (3) Water·Jel Burn Dressing, 4”x 4”
    (1) Water·Jel Burn Dressing, 4”x16”
(24) Netrile Gloves

(2) 3M Durapore Silk Tape, 1”
(4) 3M Durapore Silk Tape, 2”

▲Second Panel (left to right)

Row #1
(2) Quick Clot, 25g
(1) CPR Shield with Alcohol Wipe and Gloves
(2) Israeli Bandages, 4”
(10) Sterile ABD Pads, 5”x 9”
(20) Sterile Non-Adherent Pad, 3”x 4”
(2) Emergency Blankets

Row #2
(2) Thermometers
(30) Thermometer Sheaths
(3) Tongue Depressors
(1) Bite Stick
(2) 20cc Irrigation Syringe w/catheter tip
(5) Stainless Steel Blunt 19ga Needle with Luer Hub
(2) Disposable #10 Scalpels

(1) Adson Brown Tissue Forceps 4.75"
(1) Iris Scissors, 3.5" Straight
(1) Hemostat, Locking Straight 5.5"
(1) Iris Scissors, 3.5" Curved
(1) Mayo Heger Needle Holder, 6"
(1) Hemostat, Locking Curved 5.5"
(1) Spencer Stitch Scissors, 5.5"

Row#3
(1) CAT Tourniquet
(1) Eye Wash, 4oz
(1) Hydrogen Peroxide, 8oz
(2) Israeli Bandages, 6”
(1) Irrigation Saline, 250ml

Row #4 - zippered side pouch (not shown)
(6) PriMed 4.5”x“4.1yd Compressed Gauze

ratz

Ratz's AFAK V1.0 Panels 3 & 4

Post by ratz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:13 am

Third Panel

▲ Admin & Protection Module
(1) Safety Glasses
(20) Surgical Masks
(2) N95 Face Masks (not pictured)
(1) Biohazard Bag w/ 1 pair Netrile Gloves

(1) Purell Hand Sanitizer, .5oz
(1) Right in the Rain Notebook
(2) Regular Notebooks (not pictured)
(1) 3M Durapore Silk Tape, 1”
(2) Sharpie Markers
(1) BIC Lighter (secured)
(1) EMT Shear
(1) UniBall PowerTank Retractable, Blue
(1) Surefire Stylus Pro

▲ Bandage Module
(3) CoFlex Foam Bandage, 1”
(2) CoFlex Foam Bandage, 3”
(2) ACE Bandage, 3”
(2) ACE Bandage, 4”
(2) ACE Bandage, 6”
(2) Level One Padded Aluminum Splint, 36” rolled
(1) SAM Splint User Guide
(1) SAM Splint Quick Reference Card

▲ Fourth Panel

▲ Upper Pouch

Wipes, Packets, and Swabs Module
(1) AirLok 6x9 Pouch
(20) Water·Jel Hydrocortisone Cream 1%, .5g packet
(6) Compound Tincture of Benzoin USP 10% Swabstick
(42) BZK Antiseptic Towelettes
(20) Water·Jel Triple Antibiotic, .5g packet
(20) Sting Relief Wipes
(50) Iodine Prep Pads

Airway Instrument Bag

OTC Module
(50) Ibuprofen, 200mg
(50) Acetaminophen, 500mg
(50) Aspirin
(2) Uncle Bill’s Forceps
(1) Finger Nail File
(10) DEX 4 Glucose Tablets, Grape
(10) DEX 4 Glucose Tablets, Raspberry
(50) Cetirizine (Zyrtec), 10mg
(50) Loperamide (Immodium), 2mg
(1) Goldbond Powder, 1oz
(48) Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed), 30mg
(40) Lratradine (Claritin), 10mg
(30) Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), 25mg
(18) Ranitidine (Zantac), 150mg
(24) Gas-X
(1) Aloe Vera Gel
(1) Eye Relief Drops with Antihistamine
(1) 3M Durapore Silk Tape, 1”
(1) 3M Durapore Silk Tape, 2”

Instrument Bag
(2) Instant Cold Compress, Medium
(2) Instant Cold Compress, Large
(2) Instant Hot Compress, Medium

(1) 40 yd Duct Tape, Compressed

Bottom Pouch
(3) CeraLyte 70 Hydration Mix – Lemon, 50g

(1) Chinook Dental Module
  • 2 Nitrile Gloves, Large, OD
    2 Nitrile Gloves, Medium, OD
    1 Mouth Mirror
    1 Dental Floss, 25 yd. OD
    1 Wax Stick
    1 Spatula
    4 Toothpicks
    1 Tweezers
    3 Orasol Packet
    1 Clove Oil (Eugenol)
    1 Dentemp OS (Filling Material)
    1 Actcel Hemostatic Gauze, 2”x“2"
    10 Cotton Pellets
    5 Cotton Roll
    3 Gauze Dressing, 3"x3", 2's
    8 Ibuprofen, 200 mg Tablet
    1 Hazardous Waste Bag
    1 Instructions
(1) Second Skin Blister Pack
(2) Moleskin Sheets

* Made from a 99¢ Hanging Fabric CD Holder from a local Japanese Dollar Store. Added some Velcro dots and Wala! Pseudo doctor's roll.

▲ Bandage Module (hydration slot)

(20) Alcohol Wipes
(20) 7/8” Spots
(20) ½”x 2” Non-Adhering
(30) ¼”x 4” Steritrip
(50) Butterfly, Medium
(10) 2”x 4”
(10) Knuckle, Cloth
(10) Fingertip, Cloth
(20) 5/8”x 2-1/4”
(20) 1”x 3”, Non Adhering
(6) Oval Eye Pads
(10) 2-1/2”x 4”

(1) EMT Shears with a Zip Tether (not pictured)

Nickthezombiehunter

Re: Ratz's Alpha First Aid & Trauma Kit (AFAK) V1.0

Post by Nickthezombiehunter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Nice job, a very complete system. They only thing that I would add to your kit as another CAT and an occlusive dressing. Otherwise good job.

N-

Prepared American

Post by Prepared American » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Looks very well thought out, you seemed to have avoided the pitfalls of advanced gear that you may or may not have training in. I also really like the dental kit, this is to often overlooked yet would be a must have in long term disaster. I noticed the irrigation syringe but no sterile water or sterile saline to irrigate with,, I may have overlooked that. All in all I give your AFAK two thumbs up. Good job.
Hoping to bring back common sense to the prepping community.
dogbane wrote:It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

ratz

Post by ratz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks to the two of you for the props. This was truly a project of patience. It took close to four months to research and accumulate all of these components.
Nickthezombiehunter wrote:Nice job, a very complete system. They only thing that I would add to your kit as another CAT and an occlusive dressing. Otherwise good job. N-
Yeah, the second CAT was on the short list of things to finish off. I wasn't sure if I should get another CAT or another tourniquet like a SOF or SWAT. I suspect by having two of the same thing, would reduce confusion in time of need. Thanks for suggesting the occlusive dressing. I'll look into it. Didn't even hit my radar. Thanks!

Prepared American wrote:Looks very well thought out, you seemed to have avoided the pitfalls of advanced gear that you may or may not have training in. I also really like the dental kit, this is to often overlooked yet would be a must have in long term disaster. I noticed the irrigation syringe but no sterile water or sterile saline to irrigate with,, I may have overlooked that. All in all I give your AFAK two thumbs up. Good job.
There were components like the airway, IV, and suture kits that I simply felt uncomfortable including simply because I had absolutely no idea how to use them. In case of a real emergency, I'd hate to be tempted to use them if I had them and jeopardize the lives of loved ones. These items DID however, start me thinking about possibly taking advanced courses offered locally.

Chinook offered the complete dental kit making it a no-brainer. Interesting story, the dental kit was in my final order (for now) and it took three weeks longer than all of my other orders from them. When I called, they indicated that it was the dental kit that was holding up my order and they were in the process of fulfilling dental kit orders to our soldiers in the Middle East. I said, "No problem, please take care of them first! I can wait."

As for the sterile saline.... 250Ml bottle... Second Panel, Row #3 last item on the right. :D

Prepared American

Post by Prepared American » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:58 am

Yeah I saw it after I posted and went back to look at it. It is a wise man that recognizes his limitations and chooses not to over indulge or to seek further education to raise their personal bar.

Instead of sutures consider super glue, if you can guarantee that you have the wound cleaned and disinfected, and their is no vascular, neurological or tendon compromise I would see no immediate danger to life or health in closing the wound with super glue.
Hoping to bring back common sense to the prepping community.
dogbane wrote:It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

J-Bean Sammitch

Re: Ratz's AFAK V1.0 Panels 1 & 2

Post by J-Bean Sammitch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:52 am

Very Nicely Done!! This is a project that I would really like to emulate. My own meager FAKs bow in awe! :lol:

I do have one observation regarding the thermometers. Please let me know if I'm wrong, but they look like they're the glass, mercury-filled ones. (I saw two little blobs of silver and assumed that they were the bulbs.) It doesn't look like they're in any kind of protective case. If, in an earthquake, something were to hit/fall on/impact the edge of the bag, the thermometers would take the brunt of the impact. If they shatter, the bag they're in may puncture, releasing glass and mercury into the main compartements. Swapping the position of the tongue depressors/bite stick and the thermometers would afford a little more protection in terms of breakage. Just my $.02.

Again, very nice bag.

edit:
PS: Subscribed for future reading!!

ratz

Re: Ratz's AFAK V1.0 Panels 1 & 2

Post by ratz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:01 pm

J-Bean Sammitch wrote:Very Nicely Done!! This is a project that I would really like to emulate. My own meager FAKs bow in awe! :lol:

I do have one observation regarding the thermometers. Please let me know if I'm wrong, but they look like they're the glass, mercury-filled ones. (I saw two little blobs of silver and assumed that they were the bulbs.) It doesn't look like they're in any kind of protective case. If, in an earthquake, something were to hit/fall on/impact the edge of the bag, the thermometers would take the brunt of the impact. If they shatter, the bag they're in may puncture, releasing glass and mercury into the main compartements. Swapping the position of the tongue depressors/bite stick and the thermometers would afford a little more protection in terms of breakage. Just my $.02.

Again, very nice bag.

edit:
PS: Subscribed for future reading!!
Thanks! As for the thermometers they are digital, disposable and in their own protective cases. Must be an optic illusion. Because they have batteries that are integrated into them, thermometers are on our component rotation list.

BTW, I'm OLD and didn't even think they made the 'ol glass ones anymore. Yikes! :shock:

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Win #1 - weeded through every piece, throwing out all of the old ointments, creams, swabs, wipes, and outdated OTC meds

Win #2 - Defined need, researched and THEN made purchase.

Win #3 - Multilevel FAK set, layer-ing is a method I fully support!

Win #4 - Well laid out and in one place. NUff sed.

Suggestion one - get a small magnifing glass, those splinters can be hard to see.

Question #1 - when and what will be the next training set will you/SO/others in your family/group be taking?

So, bag full of win! Very cogent post BTW, thanks for that as well.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ratz

Post by ratz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 am

TacAir wrote:Suggestion one - get a small magnifing glass, those splinters can be hard to see.
DOH!!!! :oops: That's why it's important to have a different set of eyes to check out your pack. Thanks! Note to self, "Add one magnifying glass to kit. Can also be used as fire starter".
TacAir wrote:Question #1 - when and what will be the next training set will you/SO/others in your family/group be taking?
Mr. Ratz: It's been a long time since my basic CPR certification. In fact I think I let it lapse. So 1) re-cert for CPR; 2) Advanced CPR/First Aid; 3) NERT (CERT); maybe... EMT-B or First Responders (but they don't make one for Urban)

Mrs. Ratz: 1) Basic CPR/First Aid; 2) Basic Handgun

Baby Ratz: 1) Basic CPR/First Aid (through school); 2) Basic Handgun with mom.

My goal is to re-certify for basic and the girls their handgun training by years end. I'll try to squeeze in advanced. NERT starts up in 2011.
TacAir wrote: Very cogent post BTW, thanks for that as well.
Thanks! I hope that the path I took will help other rookies save time and money. It was a lot of information to absorb! Had to do something with it! :lol:

ista_hota

Post by ista_hota » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:38 am

Looks very concise. I'll echo a second TQ and add that at least one of them should be on the outside of the bag - this assuming that you arent running one on web gear or whatever.

I'd get a bit more diagnostic gear in there. Basic steth and cuff, ENT set - your first priority is figuring out what the fuck the problem is. Also redundancy for the headlamp - pen light and/or chemlights (disregard this I just noticed the penlight in your admin section - still, ass a chemlight and/or a lamp diffuser). If it's man made its fallible.

I didn't see a sharpie? Possible I missed it in the many lines of text... if not add one, you have materials for writing on paper, now you need to write on people.

Magills.

Shears are great but they blunt fast and can be cumbersome - aaaand they're kinda buried. Toss another set on the side of your bag and/or get a rescue hook. You don't wanna have to dig to china just to get access to SEE what you are dealing with, keep it all as linear as possible in terms of what is put where for what stage of access. Same applies to your PPE - you are NOT going to need 24 pairs of nitrile gloves RIGHT THE FUCK NOW lol... drop it down to say... 4 pair and swap the remainder with some of your other PPE stuff in your admin section - that way you don't have to fuck with opening both sides of your bag before even getting to work.

I'd personally move one of your AFDs into the front of the bag but that's just me.
There were components like the airway, IV, and suture kits that I simply felt uncomfortable including simply because I had absolutely no idea how to use them. In case of a real emergency, I'd hate to be tempted to use them if I had them and jeopardize the lives of loved ones.
I'd organize at least a basic airway kit and here's why... YOU might not be able to use it but you never know when you'll run into a situation where you can hand that bag off to someone who does. If I'm caught with my pants down at a random incident and you randomly come up and hand me a bag full of gear I will literally suck y..... I'll thank you generously.

IV and suture kit I can see your hesitation, especailly if you're nervous carrying sharps and shit - but there's like no reason at all to not add at least a simple NPA/OPA set into a kit this well put together, it's gonna cost you like... $15 and you never know.

Overally great start man, well thought out and good money invested - solid 8/10 :D

ratz

Re: Ratz's Alpha First Aid & Trauma Kit (AFAK) V1.2

Post by ratz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Just a quick update. First off thanks for all of the props, suggestions and constructive criticisms. Thanks to all of you, I learn more everyday. Just a few additions to the kit.

RECENT ADDITIONS BASED ON SUGGESTIONS

Nitrile Gloves {ista_hota]: broke down the 24 nitrile gloves into two packs of 12 and placed one in each of the two compartments so that they are available no matter which one I'm working out of. I'd rather not be digging around for something as basic as gloves. But, I'm keeping with the 24 because this kit is meant to provide a family of three with first aid for up to 120 hours. They don't take up much room and that should be enough.

EMT Shears + Tether [ista_hota]: this was included but not pictured in V1.0 and was stowed one of the side pockets on the outside of the pack. I picked up the tether from the local Asian Dollar Store and because it was shiny silver, I just ran a couple coats of Krylon Flat Black to knock off the shine.

Stanley 12-in-1MultiTool: picked this up at our local Ace Hardware during their Labor Day weekend sale for $9.99 a 50% savings. Although I carry a Leatherman Wave as my EDC, I thought it would be good to have some redundancy and in case someone else OTHER than I was using the AFAK.

Folding Magnifying Glass [TacAir]: wasn't EVEN on the original list.Thanks for the heads up! :oops:

Snap-Lights [ista_hota]: after letting the pack sit awhile, I saw that there were a couple critical areas where redundancy was called for. This was one of them. I included two Snap-Lights for good measure.

Immediate Action Card and J&J First Aid Guide Book: The "Immediate Action Card" was a freebie from Rescue Essentials had some good info in it and placed it in the clear pouch on the Instrument Bag. The "J&J First Aid Guide" circa 1979 was something that was re-purposed from an old FAK we had around the house. My plan is to replace it with an InforMed Pocket Guide or another.

Athletic Tape: wanted to bolster my selection of tapes by adding two rolls of athletic tape I picked up at our local dollar store.

I just recently weighed the pack and it's juuuuuuust under 30lbs. :shock: Don't think the Missus will be carrying this bad boy.

That's it for this update. I continue to ponder some of your recommendations. Focused on re-certification and classes for the family before the end of the year. Keep those recommendations coming!

ratz

Post by ratz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 pm

ista_hota wrote:Looking grand man, glad to be of service!
I'm adding 12 more pairs of nitrile gloves to fill in all of the empty spaces tho'.... :shock: j/k :lol:

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:50 am

Throw out the CPR shield and get a pocket mask? Grab a couple NPA's?.....Now start to build your first aid cabinet at home that you resupply from. Also get training.

Return to “First Aid”