Blow Out Kit

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Blow Out Kit

Post by GunsUp » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:17 pm

I have decided to standardize my blow-out kits so that when I train with one I will train with what is in all of them. I have based this more or less what is in the USGI IFAK. I packaged them in a way that they fit in a double mag pouch. I will vacuum seal them to slightly reduce size and provide protection from the elements.

4" Izzy
CAT tourniquet
2 pairs nitrile gloves
H&H PIMED 4.5" x 4.1 yd gauze
Triangle Bandage 40"x40"x56"
28Fr NPA (Rouche)+ surgilube pack
Asherman Chest Seal (10x 6" strips of duct tape attached to plastic side of package for occlusives)
25g Quickclot sport packet

I have built four of these, One for BOB, one for each car and one for training: I plan on adding 1-2 more to the set eventually (home and travel/hunting) as well as a stripped down version for EDC.

Questions:
What would you add / remove?
What do you think of the components (quality-wise)?

AZMedic

Re: Blow Out Kit

Post by AZMedic » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Make sure you didn't get stuck with a fake Cat.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Ehh, the Quik-Clot Sport is sketchy at best, I'd get some Celox instead if these are meant for serious injuries. Out of testing done, (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18211317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), Celox beat them all.
C(ELO)X reduced rebleeding to 0% (p < 0.001), H(em)C(on) to 33% (95% CI = 19.7% to 46.3%, p = 0.038), and Q(uik-)C(lot) to 8% (95% CI = 3.3% to 15.7%, p = 0.001), compared to 83% (95% CI = 72.4% to 93.6%) for S(TAN)D(ARD GAUZE). CX improved survival to 100% compared to SD at 50% (95% CI = 35.9% to 64.2%, p = 0.018). Survival for HC (67%) (95% CI = 53.7% to 80.3%) and QC (92%; 95% CI = 84.3% to 99.7%) did not differ from SD.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 am

Is the sport designed for more like abrasions and one layer deep as the rest of the stuff is more designed for all the way in per se?
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
He's crotchety enough.

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 am

AZMedic wrote:Is the sport designed for more like abrasions and one layer deep as the rest of the stuff is more designed for all the way in per se?
IIRC, the Quik-Clot sport is "For External Use Only" and the directions show it used like a 4x4 sponge, not a hemostatic packing.

wild_weasel

Post by wild_weasel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:06 am

Just a suggestion, I have added a couple CPR shields to my Blow Out Kits. Since they are appropriate for current First Responder / EMT-B airway management and body substance isolation (BSI) protocols.

Cheers,
W-W
To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 am

Something for pain meds, maybe? I figure, anything that requires you using these, is gonna be hurting like hell. I'd also pack something for shock, like a space blanket, but you may have those packed elsewhere in your kit.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:Something for pain meds, maybe? I figure, anything that requires you using these, is gonna be hurting like hell. I'd also pack something for shock, like a space blanket, but you may have those packed elsewhere in your kit.
Pain meds and a space blanket can be dug out of a pack. The items in that kit are meant for a life-or-death situation in which the main thing you want to do is to maintain a patent airway (keep him breathing), and stop the bleeding. If your blow out kit is full of extra crud, it'll take a longer time to get to that tourniquet, time you may not have. Any extra space in the kit should be filled with gauze, if you ask me...

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 am

Ah- good point, but I had considered that on the space blanket. When I was in the army, we didn't have these kits, though I'm sure that they would have been really great to have in just about any war we've ever had, if you want to go back far enough. On the pain meds thing tho, I was thinking- is there such an item on the market that is an injector, that is geared toward treating pain/shock/maybe blood loss, that could be used like an epipen? I remember that the gas mask training (it was just NBC back then) included a 'stabby stick' injector for treating nerve agents, that my epipen reminds me of yet. Seems to me that, once bleeding is under control, something like this might be handy, but my med training never extended too far, and is ancient now. So, what do I know?
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:30 am

Army issues a morphine autoinjector along with combat pill packs, but those are a LOT of RX painkillers and antibiotics. Ask your doctor.

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:48 am

My advise: don't add anything anymore. Your kit is basic, compact and doesn't expire (exept the quickclot perhaps)

In a car, where 2 of the blowout kits will be, you're dealing with extreme temperature difference. Adding stuff like medications will significally reduce the expiration dates an complicates your system and gets further away from the blowout kit concept.

Just keep this kit, get the other recommendations as well, but put them in your FAK, not your blowout kit.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 pm

AZMedic wrote:Make sure you didn't get stuck with a fake Cat.
They are authentic, I'm the one who posted the fake CAT alert, thanks for spreading the word though!
Ech0Sierra wrote:Ehh, the Quik-Clot Sport is sketchy at best, I'd get some Celox instead if these are meant for serious injuries. Out of testing done, (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18211317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), Celox beat them all.
C(ELO)X reduced rebleeding to 0% (p < 0.001), H(em)C(on) to 33% (95% CI = 19.7% to 46.3%, p = 0.038), and Q(uik-)C(lot) to 8% (95% CI = 3.3% to 15.7%, p = 0.001), compared to 83% (95% CI = 72.4% to 93.6%) for S(TAN)D(ARD GAUZE). CX improved survival to 100% compared to SD at 50% (95% CI = 35.9% to 64.2%, p = 0.018). Survival for HC (67%) (95% CI = 53.7% to 80.3%) and QC (92%; 95% CI = 84.3% to 99.7%) did not differ from SD.
Other than the fact that this study is comparing celox and quikclot loose granules as opposed to the granule filled sponges, I have read that study before and find its conclusions biased. I fail to see how a 92% survival rate "does not differ from" a 50% survival rate, but 100% is significantly better than 92%. A difference of a single subject is not statistically significant IMHO. In the discussion portion of the article they admit themselves that "However, this statistical superiority in survival over other agents is predicated on one subject. We believe further tests need to be conducted before CX can claim clinical superiority in terms of survival. However, we feel that our study shows that CX is at least as effective as HC and QC in this area."

Now I'm not saying that celox granules are not significantly better than quikclot sport sponges, but I have no proof of this. If somebody has a study that indicates significantly improved survival rates or any arguments as to why pouring a pouch of sand (Celox) into a wound is better, more effective or easier than putting a teabag (QC Sport) on one, I am all ears. I read somewhere something along the lines of "if you can't pour a powdered drink mix into your canteen how do you expect to pour this into your dying friend's thigh?" and it made sense to me. I think ultimately the hemostatic gauze's are the way to go. But I can't afford to put $40 items in my blowout kits right now (especially since I want at least 4-5 of them), maybe when I go to replace the hemostatic in these in a few years the price will have fallen.
Ech0Sierra wrote:Army issues a morphine autoinjector along with combat pill packs, but those are a LOT of RX painkillers and antibiotics. Ask your doctor.
Yeah nothing can go wrong with asking my doctor for IV antibiotics and opiates :)
JIM wrote:Just keep this kit, get the other recommendations as well, but put them in your FAK, not your blowout kit.
Yeah I didn't mention it, but I have full first aid and survival kits in each of these locations also (excpt the car ones are medicine free for reasons you mention). I EDC a small selection of OTC drugs in my pocket.

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm

GunsUp wrote:If somebody has a study that indicates significantly improved survival rates or any arguments as to why pouring a pouch of sand (Celox) into a wound is better, more effective or easier than putting a teabag (QC Sport) on one, I am all ears. I read somewhere something along the lines of "if you can't pour a powdered drink mix into your canteen how do you expect to pour this into your dying friend's thigh?" and it made sense to me.
To address your first concern. In that same study I posted, Hemcon failed more because it was applied topically ONTO the wound (which may allow bleeding to continue internally) instead of shoved INTO the wound or poured INTO the wound. Again, the point of hemostatics is to clot extreme hemorrhage, which requires application straight to the source. Just know that if you're ever experiencing bleeding that requires a hemostatic agent, you WILL have to apply it INTO the wound and ON TOP OF the severed artery. For me, I prefer the powder that can go deep into the wound that requires it. Are you willing to shove that bag deep into someone's hip to stop a femoral bleed? As to your second concern, Celox-A is packaged into a syringe-like applicator, which allows for a relatively clean application of Celox deep into the wound, with high accuracy, minimal spillage, and no chance of wind blowing the powder away.. http://sammedical.com/celox_a.html

Voodoo Medic
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Voodoo Medic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Not really medical, but small and cheap, I would consider adding a Sharpie type marker for a couple reasons:

1. Mark the forehead with a T and the time if you apply the tourniquet.
2. Can always write the time and vitals on the patients leg, arm, etc.
3. In a pinch it could be used as a windlass for a makeshift tourniquet. (Not saying that the CAT is no good but I have seen a couple of them break overseas.)
4. In the event of an infection or bug bite, etc. the marker could be used to outline the affected area to monitor the condition of the patient.

Member, National Rifle Association

rule4

Post by rule4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 pm

what is a blow out kit?

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 pm

rule4 wrote:what is a blow out kit?
ARGGGHH MATEY THEY SHOT ME!!!

For gunshot wound or IED attacks mostly.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
He's crotchety enough.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 pm

A compact first aid kit that is primarily stocked to provide self aid / buddy aid for gunshot wounds and combat trauma. May seem a bit silly, but it's a good idea to have one if you're a LEO, spend a bit of your time shooting as a hobby, or are (obviously) a deployed military guy.

AKA "GSW kit" (Gunshot Wound Kit), or "Ventilated Operator Kit"

ETA: AZMedic beats me to it... :evil:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
A compact first aid kit that is primarily stocked to provide self aid / buddy aid for gunshot wounds and combat trauma. May seem a bit silly, but it's a good idea to have one if you're a LEO, spend a bit of your time shooting as a hobby, or are (obviously) a deployed military guy.

AKA "GSW kit" (Gunshot Wound Kit), or "Ventilated Operator Kit"

ETA: AZMedic beats me to it... :evil:
I did sorry and I think mine was a bit funnier too
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
He's crotchety enough.

rule4

Post by rule4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:27 pm

ahh... ok.

i did like the sound effects in azmedics explanation

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm

rule4 wrote:ahh... ok.

i did like the sound effects in azmedics explanation
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:08 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
May seem a bit silly, but it's a good idea to have one if you're a LEO........
And there are far too many of them in the field :(

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Ech0Sierra wrote:
GunsUp wrote:If somebody has a study that indicates significantly improved survival rates or any arguments as to why pouring a pouch of sand (Celox) into a wound is better, more effective or easier than putting a teabag (QC Sport) on one, I am all ears. I read somewhere something along the lines of "if you can't pour a powdered drink mix into your canteen how do you expect to pour this into your dying friend's thigh?" and it made sense to me.
To address your first concern. In that same study I posted, Hemcon failed more because it was applied topically ONTO the wound (which may allow bleeding to continue internally) instead of shoved INTO the wound or poured INTO the wound. Again, the point of hemostatics is to clot extreme hemorrhage, which requires application straight to the source. Just know that if you're ever experiencing bleeding that requires a hemostatic agent, you WILL have to apply it INTO the wound and ON TOP OF the severed artery. For me, I prefer the powder that can go deep into the wound that requires it. Are you willing to shove that bag deep into someone's hip to stop a femoral bleed? As to your second concern, Celox-A is packaged into a syringe-like applicator, which allows for a relatively clean application of Celox deep into the wound, with high accuracy, minimal spillage, and no chance of wind blowing the powder away.. http://sammedical.com/celox_a.html
I am willing to shove that pouch into a hole the size of a needle eye if that's what is required to save the person.
I hadn't seen the celox injectors, but it still doesn't change the fact that I am $40 invested into this pot :P I'll consider the injectors next time. Thanks for pointing that out.
DannusMaximus wrote:May seem a bit silly, but it's a good idea to have one if you're a LEO, spend a bit of your time shooting as a hobby, or are (obviously) a deployed military guy.
I think anybody who owns a firearm, especially anybody who carries a concealed handgun should have a blowout kit. If you are prepared to shoot somebody, what makes you think you shouldn't be prepared to be shot or shoot the wrong person (who's death will result in a lifetime of mental anguish or imprisonment)?
1200RT-P wrote:And there are far too many of them in the field :(
Far too many blow out kits in the field? please explain?
Last edited by GunsUp on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMAC179

Post by KMAC179 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:00 am

Space reserved for when I am more awake and have more time to comment on this, also a reminder to do so.
Your semi-friendly resident CBRNE and TCCC specialist.

"Remember when you were a kid and held your breath when you walked past the cemetery?...Just leave that man alone"

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:40 am

GunsUp wrote:
Ech0Sierra wrote:
1200RT-P wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:And there are far too many of them in the field :(
Far too many blow out kits in the field? please explain?
Far too few. :|

Return to “First Aid”