My 2c on the use of Female Hygiene Products for Wound Care

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Phaedrus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: My 2c on the use of Female Hygiene Products for Wound Care

Post by Phaedrus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 pm

In actual field use, what's the odds that a dressing that started sterile will still be sterile by the time it's applied to a wound? Certainly the wound itself won't be sterile. I ask only because I've heard in the field the best we can hope for is "clean" produres, not sterile ones.
Meat N' Taters wrote:
Red_Ramage wrote:Dr. Bear Grylls disagrees with all of you
Well, let him put Tylenol Gel-Caps in his shitter all day long. As for me, I'll use as directed. :)

christopherblade
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead, dawn of the dead remake, and 28 days later

Post by christopherblade » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Murph wrote:
christopherblade wrote:well while looking all over the net i found this for us to argue over. the info were looking for is in part 5 about min34:30sec in to the episode. so lets hear it, what do you all think???
http://www.spike.com/full-episode/mall-shooting/34334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He also said later on that mall table tops will provide "cover." Last I checked 7.62 x 39 will tear through plywood / aluminum like a hot knife through butter.

Do you believe everything you see on TV?
i do believe i said "lets hear it".
off topic i also think he meant that a table is good concealment but said cover do to the fact the general public wouldnt understand the difference anyways. i do agree that a 7.62 will go thru a table with out a problem but the more it hits, more of the bullet is lost and better chance that the trajectory will change before it hits you.
id rather have it and NOT need it, than NEED it and not have it.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Phaedrus wrote:In actual field use, what's the odds that a dressing that started sterile will still be sterile by the time it's applied to a wound? Certainly the wound itself won't be sterile. I ask only because I've heard in the field the best we can hope for is "clean" produres, not sterile ones.
This is one of the many reasons that you should not put anything inside a wound.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

christopherblade
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead, dawn of the dead remake, and 28 days later

Post by christopherblade » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 pm

CitizenZ wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:In actual field use, what's the odds that a dressing that started sterile will still be sterile by the time it's applied to a wound? Certainly the wound itself won't be sterile. I ask only because I've heard in the field the best we can hope for is "clean" produres, not sterile ones.
This is one of the many reasons that you should not put anything inside a wound.
and if you happen to hit an artery or collapse a lung i think its your best chance. but like i've been saying ITS ONLY A TEMP FIX. i swear this sounds like the hi point thread all over again.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 pm

christopherblade wrote:
and if you happen to hit an artery or collapse a lung i think its your best chance. but like i've been saying ITS ONLY A TEMP FIX. i swear this sounds like the hi point thread all over again.
I think this is the problem with a lot of the discussion in FA. You have two factions: those that want a "temp fix" and those that consider long term consequences.

The armed forces (like the "former SEAL" in your link) teach a quick fix. No offense to them, but sometimes it is not the best solution. I think phil said it best when he was talking about improvisation. If it's all you have, use it. However, in this forum/community, we all like to have the best tool for the job. This is why improvisation threads get shat upon (I think).

ETA: I doubt sticking a tampon in a chest wound is going to do anything for a collapsed lung. There are definitely better ways to improvise in that scenario. I know that's not what you are trying to get at with the example, but just thought I would put that out there...
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

christopherblade

Post by christopherblade » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Veritas wrote:
christopherblade wrote:
I think this is the problem with a lot of the discussion in FA. You have two factions: those that want a "temp fix" and those that consider long term consequences.

The armed forces (like the "former SEAL" in your link) teach a quick fix. No offense to them, but sometimes it is not the best solution. I think phil said it best when he was talking about improvisation. If it's all you have, use it. However, in this forum/community, we all like to have the best tool for the job. This is why improvisation threads get shat upon (I think).

ETA: I doubt sticking a tampon in a chest wound is going to do anything for a collapsed lung. There are definitely better ways to improvise in that scenario. I know that's not what you are trying to get at with the example, but just thought I would put that out there...
and your right, for a improvised fix a tampon is a good start but i wouldnt suggests packing just those in a kit. pack them as a back up. and as for the lung, a tampon is a a whole lot better than a finger. if you have something better use it but if its all you got it will give you enough time to say goobye.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:25 pm

christopherblade wrote: and your right, for a improvised fix a tampon is a good start but i wouldnt suggests packing just those in a kit. pack them as a back up. and as for the lung, a tampon is a a whole lot better than a finger. if you have something better use it but if its all you got it will give you enough time to say goobye.
Since you brought it up, and I like to argue, I am going to say a finger is better than a tampon. You could insert and remove your finger along with the patients breathing to act like a flutter valve, instead of a tampon which would just be a static plug in the hole. Let's all argue this now, the tampon thing is getting old.

Plus, again, you just said "packing a kit." I was trying to help you out and say "if you didn't have a kit, and only had your wife's purse." If you are going to pack tampons in a kit, make it for female hygiene purposes. If you are packing a kit for trauma, add more gauze, izzies, chest seals, etc. etc.

I see your point of "it's small; why not; better than nothing," and raise you a "be properly prepared; use what has been proven; don't plan on improvising." I know that's a string bet, but hey, I watch too many movies. I just don't get the point of a "back-up." Why isn't your back-up just more gauze? If there was a price or major size difference it would make sense (trashbag is back-up raingear because it is cheap and disposable. Sandals are back-up for boots because they are smaller) but there isn't a big difference in price or size when comparing tampons to compressed gauze. I can shrink kerlix down to smaller than a deck of cards.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

OLM-Medic

Post by OLM-Medic » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:29 am

I got to hear a doc's opinion on this, and it was NOT to use them. They aren't designed to hold much blood, and they ARE designed to expand.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 am

CitizenZ wrote:
My training was that you should pack a wound that isn't in the torso / neck area. When you get the person to definitive care, they will clean the wound and load them up on antibiotics no matter want you did in the field.

The extra pressure on the inside of the wound channel helps it to clot sooner. The material will be removed in the ER.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:35 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:My training was that you should pack a wound that isn't in the torso / neck area. When you get the person to definitive care, they will clean the wound and load them up on antibiotics no matter want you did in the field.

The extra pressure on the inside of the wound channel helps it to clot sooner. The material will be removed in the ER.
+1

Beyond the simple fact that whatever punched the hole in the victim in the first place isn't sterile, whatever nasty bugs one might import into the wound will take a hell of a lot longer to harm them than the blood loss resulting from the failure to properly control the bleed.

Jim

DrunkWookiee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead

Post by DrunkWookiee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:32 pm

JIM wrote:Regulair tampons are also great for nosebleeds. You could also spray some nasal-decongestant like neo-syphrine on it for additional effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOejUGb5QDU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.

DrunkWookiee's IFAK

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 am

Veritas wrote: Since you brought it up, and I like to argue, I am going to say a finger is better than a tampon. You could insert and remove your finger along with the patients breathing to act like a flutter valve, instead of a tampon which would just be a static plug in the hole. Let's all argue this now, the tampon thing is getting old.
Sure

My biggest issue with that your now stuck with the pt, unless you can just find some bystander to do the plugging or this is your only pt.

Not to mention the extra damage your doing by ramming your finger into a wound, repeatedly, thats assuming the dude (or gal) doesn't punch your ass out.

The tampon thing has been beat to death though, but a lot of the things on ZS have, we need new shit to argue about.

Gigas

Post by Gigas » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:30 pm

When i used to be a wrestler and i'd get a nosebleed my coach would bust out the old tampon and shove it in my nose so i could keep going. (mean old bastard)
But on topic, i have a couple tampons in my FAK because I'm a poor student who in all reality doesn't have time or money to really invest (yet!) and i honestly never hope to get into a situation that involves plugging a bullet hole or a gash. But if it happens ill at least have something. Improvising is sometimes all you got, so might as well do it.
We have become experts at picking up the pieces of the lamp, instead of noticing it was too close to the edge in the first place.- Cody Lundin
CLEAR CUT wrote:All I can say to that is suck my dick, Dick!!

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons and maxi-pads to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out and get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump a 75 lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip, all the while chewing on a snake like beef jerky.
Sigged !
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm

T-Boon wrote:
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons and maxi-pads to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out and get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump a 75 lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip, all the while chewing on a snake like beef jerky.
Sigged !
Thanks, but can you fix the spelling of "killing", "bullets", and "full" in your sig. :wink:
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

T-Boon

Post by T-Boon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Murph wrote:Thanks, but can you fix the spelling of "killing", "bullets", and "full" in your sig. :wink:
I cant, max characters :( Would you prefer I remove it ? [EDIT] is that better ?

Back On Topic, I keep some of my GF's Pads in the glovebox of my 4WD, as a just incase, in either of their uses. I also hear tampons make an ok firestarter ?
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

christopherblade

Post by christopherblade » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Sckitzo wrote:
Veritas wrote: Since you brought it up, and I like to argue, I am going to say a finger is better than a tampon. You could insert and remove your finger along with the patients breathing to act like a flutter valve, instead of a tampon which would just be a static plug in the hole. Let's all argue this now, the tampon thing is getting old.
Sure

My biggest issue with that your now stuck with the pt, unless you can just find some bystander to do the plugging or this is your only pt.

Not to mention the extra damage your doing by ramming your finger into a wound, repeatedly, thats assuming the dude (or gal) doesn't punch your ass out.

The tampon thing has been beat to death though, but a lot of the things on ZS have, we need new shit to argue about.
agreed this is turning into a shit fit, but on a lighter note the point made about the pads is a good one. there useful for large abrasions, long shallow cuts and road rash. plus they hurt just as much if not less to change once the wound has healed to it bit.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:12 pm

I would like to see a cost break down of gauze versus tampon. I am pretty sure Kerlix or Z-pack or Primed are all like <$2 per pack, and you could use it on multiple wounds, or one big wound. Aren't tampons kinda expensive? I would be shocked if they were less than $0.50 a piece.

Finger in hole argument: You wouldn't have to stick your finger all the way in. The getting punched thing is probably the biggest issue. What if you improvised a chest tube with one of those snake bite kits? Anybody think that is worth it? You know, you could suction the gore out of somebody's chest cavity with that little yellow suction device.

I heard Army Rangers keep snake bite kits in their kits to use as improvised chest suction devices. They are small, and cheap, and why not? Better to have it and not need it, right?
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Veritas wrote:I would like to see a cost break down of gauze versus tampon. I am pretty sure Kerlix or Z-pack or Primed are all like <$2 per pack, and you could use it on multiple wounds, or one big wound. Aren't tampons kinda expensive? I would be shocked if they were less than $0.50 a piece.
Yes, tampons and pads are major ripoffs (one of the reasons I switched to cloth when I was a poor college student). You can buy a lot more gauze with what you'd spend on (and get out of) a box of tampons. If the shape is THAT important to someone, they could always snip and roll.

Though...if one is a coupon clipper, it's concievable that using a coupon in conjunction with a good sale might make them equivalent or cheaper. Guys, time to start saving that P&G insert in the sunday paper. :D

I am still dubious about wrestling coach stories. I dated a wrestler for 2 years of HS, went to every match, and NEVER saw someone competing with a tampon hanging out of their nose. Even with the string cut off, it would have been obvious, I would think. Most brands are long compared to the nostril (I suppose OB might be an exception). Now, I HAVE seen guys get their nose packed with gauze though. Maybe the coach who used an expensive tampon vs. just rolling a little cheap gauze was just into humiliation.

ETA: Just for argument's sake, a quick price check--a box of no applicator OB tampons is $7 on drugstore.com (in the store, it's probably going to be a lot higher, unless you have a coupon). There's 40 of 'em in that box. (and OB is, at least in my experience, one of the cheapest non store brands). That's a per-application cost of 18 cents. A box of 2x2 gauze costs $4 for a box of 25. So that's 16 cents per pop. (still a ripoff, IMO, you probably should just get a roll of gauze since you don't care about sterility, which is going to be even cheaper). I guess you might make the case for less space depending on how you pack things as long as you used non-applicator tampons (you could make yourself a cute little tampon bandolier or something), but you could economize space the most by getting a roll, instead of tampons OR precut gauze squares.

T-Boon

Post by T-Boon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Chantrea wrote:(you could make yourself a cute little tampon bandolier or something)
Tampon stripper clips for quick application :P :P

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:25 pm

T-Boon wrote:
Chantrea wrote:(you could make yourself a cute little tampon bandolier or something)
Tampon stripper clips for quick application :P :P
I am doing this with my mosin nagant stripper clips. Someday, maybe not soon, but someday. I will post pics here first.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:14 pm

http://www.tamponcrafts.com/gun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Granny, that is sooooo awesome!!! It beats the little fuzzy animals I used to make by sticking my mom's (UNUSED) tampons into the dryer to fluff them up!!! (they get all fluffy, with a little tail on them, perfect for gluing on googly eyes and pipecleaner legs)

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Sckitzo wrote:
Sure

Also, I think that at any given moment, my finger is about the least sterile thing on earth. I mean, I wash my hands regularly, but they're CONSTANTLY being exposed to all sorts of nasty shit.

I believe that a patient stands a better chance of avoiding infection by having Ron Jeremy jam his cock in their lung to plug it, rather than my filthy-ass fingers.

Return to “First Aid”