Zip-lock Bag Pill-Pack / FAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Zip-lock Bag Pill-Pack / FAK

Post by Murph » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:06 pm

I feel like I need to revisit my choices for this Pill-Pack / Mini FAK. I've had them in my travel kit, desk at work and in my glove box. I've used things from each from time to time, and it's getting to the point where I should "reload" them all. Am I missing anything that is OTC?

Also I want to create one more and expand on it for my PSK. Nothing over a quart size zip lock bag, and preferable only half as to fit in the PSK well. Suggestions for things to add? I'm thinking more things in the way of band-aids and such.

Edit: I want to try and expand on it with some basic bandages/gauze/etc. without it getting any bigger than the zip-lock bag.... ideas?

Link to my PSK: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=55669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Original thread:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p1131282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll break down the toiletries and meds this evening. I was thinking last night I should have a more standardized "pill pack" Tylenol, Imodium AD, Sudafed, etc. I could see having the pill packs in my bag, at work, in the car, additional to my BOB FAK.

Here's my pill pack:
4 GasX
3 SudaFed
2 Neosporin 2 Go
4 Band aids
6 Floss Picks
4 DayQuil
4 Imodium AD
8 Cough Drops
4 Pepto
9 Tynenol

I'm thinking that'd fix 90% of anything I ran into.
Last edited by Murph on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Murph

Re: Zip-lock Bag Pill-Pack / FAK

Post by Murph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 pm

That good that it doesn't need any improvements? :?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm

I think it looks good. I like to have in my EDC bag-

Naproxen Sodium (generic for Aleve- NSAID good for inflammation as well as pain)
Ibuprophen(generic for Advil- also Nsaid)
Pepto Chews
Some vitamin C (for immune health when I feel a clod/bug coming on)
vitamin B6 & B12- good for energy when feeling sluggish
multivitamins
caffeine pills (for when feeling sleepy when driving)
eyedrops

I think that's about it.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Anti-diareahal.

Without access to lots of fresh, clean water, that stuff will kill you.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 pm

phalanx wrote:Anti-diareahal.

Murph wrote:I'll break down the toiletries and meds this evening. I was thinking last night I should have a more standardized "pill pack" Tylenol, Imodium AD, Sudafed, etc. I could see having the pill packs in my bag, at work, in the car, additional to my BOB FAK.

Here's my pill pack:
4 GasX
3 SudaFed
2 Neosporin 2 Go
4 Band aids
6 Floss Picks
4 DayQuil
4 Imodium AD
8 Cough Drops
4 Pepto
9 Tynenol

I'm thinking that'd fix 90% of anything I ran into.

:wink:

RIP Hk33k

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 pm

phalanx wrote:Anti-diareahal.

Got it!

Imodium AD - It's an Ass-Saver.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh, snap.

That's what that's for? I honestly can't keep track of all of the brand names.

Yes, flame on.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 pm

cortisone cream? ...for bug bites, reactions, etc.? Aspirin for...I dont know, heart attacks & peeps who cant take the other stuff?

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm

I normally do Aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Immodium.

I recommend this because its minimalist with a good amount of coverage on your common ailments. The problem being that its difficult, at times, to get past the convenience or preference of other medications. For example, im pretty much all about Ibuprofen...its my go to ache medicine of choice; but its not in any of my kits because Aspirin+Tylenol does all the same stuff but better...toss a Bennie on top and it crushes inflammation based pain.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm

BobtheBreaker wrote:I normally do Aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Immodium.

I recommend this because its minimalist with a good amount of coverage on your common ailments. The problem being that its difficult, at times, to get past the convenience or preference of other medications. For example, im pretty much all about Ibuprofen...its my go to ache medicine of choice; but its not in any of my kits because Aspirin+Tylenol does all the same stuff but better...toss a Bennie on top and it crushes inflammation based pain.
Good point I never thought about the different combinations / interactions about different meds. Nothing like making pill cocktails to take care of random stuff.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:12 pm

maldon007 wrote:cortisone cream? ...for bug bites, reactions, etc.? Aspirin for...I dont know, heart attacks & peeps who cant take the other stuff?
Do you know of any companies that make a single use packet of cortisone? I'd hate to have to put a whole tube in.

ferret

Post by ferret » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm

REI sells them in little 10 packs for first aid kits

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Murph wrote:
maldon007 wrote:cortisone cream? ...for bug bites, reactions, etc.? Aspirin for...I dont know, heart attacks & peeps who cant take the other stuff?
Do you know of any companies that make a single use packet of cortisone? I'd hate to have to put a whole tube in.

Check here-http://www.minimus.biz/Pharmacymain.aspx

Not sure if they have it or not, but good place to look.

RIP Hk33k

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 am

The Highwayman wrote:
Murph wrote:

Not sure if they have it or not, but good place to look.
Water-Jel no less! Rock!

http://www.minimus.biz/Water-Jel-Hydroc ... -1000.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ooooh this looks pretty awesome too... (Let's take a sampler pack and call in "military"):

http://www.minimus.biz/Military-Medical ... -9200.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 am

Murph wrote:

I bought one of those 7 day pill organizers, and put a big squirt of each salve in 3 of the boxes... They were not quite water tight, so I put one of my daughters hair rubber bands around the door edge, sealed it pretty good when closed. And put pills in the other 4, with use directions & a cotton ball to quiet it.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Everybody loves pictures, so here we go!

Everyday Pill-Pack:

Survival Kit Pill-Pack:

I'll follow up with a content list if anyone is interested and can't tell from the pictures.

Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 am

Murph wrote:

Not sure if they have it or not, but good place to look

Water-Jel no less! Rock!

http://www.minimus.biz/Water-Jel-Hydroc ... -1000.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ooooh this looks pretty awesome too... (Let's take a sampler pack and call in "military"):

http://www.minimus.biz/Military-Medical ... -9200.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Minimus, while easy to order from, has a high cost per unit. If you can, search eBay or the stores aligned with ZS to buy small bulk packs that you can split up among multiple FAKs, or split with friends. You'll find you can get nearly twice as much for your $$.
The Lonely Raven - The Halo Hides My Horns
http://www.FirespeedTactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clockwork

Post by clockwork » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:27 am

Hello,

A suggestion:
The DayQuil Liquid Gels are bulky (IMO)
If you look through the Cough/Cold section of the drug store, you will find that other brand names (I think 'Tylenol Sever Cold' maybe) offer the same ingredients in the same dosage, but in a regular tablet form.

The tablets are smaller, and do not come in the foil packs. The foil pack thing is a plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

EDIT:
I too have implimented the "Pill Packs" idea with the pills put into little plastic baggies.
I have printed off inserts to put in the baggies with info for on the drug.
Name, Brand name, mg, tablet identification info, doseage, uses.

The info included changes depending on the drug, and which bag/kit its kept in. Some have Side effects, Overdose S&S, and over dose treatment. Danger warnings (ie Acetaminophen: Do not exceed 4000mg daily, Hydrocodone: Respiratory depressant, in bold font), suggested usage/off label usage, drug class/function (ei NSAID, Anti-emetic , ACE Inhib, corticosteroid), drug interaction, allergic reaction, titration info, discontinuation info, and more.

Here's a photo of some:
These have only a little bit of info, and not really super detailed.

I also might recommend getting a non-drowsy allergy med. Like Claritin or Zyrtec.

Thanks for sharing
Clockwork

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Yeah, I've picked out some new meds since then and will be in the process of rotating them out. That picture is a few months old now.

sjshack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by sjshack » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:50 pm

clockwork wrote:I also might recommend getting a non-drowsy allergy med. Like Claritin or Zyrtec.
Don't forget the drowsy type too for fast allergic reactions. Diphenhydramine hydrochloride, "Benadryl" is also sold as "Simply Sleep" and is the PM part of sleep aid + pain relief combo OTCs. I carry the strip kind that dissolves on your tongue since it gets in the blood stream fast.

Return to “First Aid”