Citizen Simon's recommended Basic FAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Thor

Citizen Simon's recommended Basic FAK

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 pm

So look, I know I'm new (been lurking around for a while now), and I know this is only my fourth post.

But, I have been working on this for about three days now and I thought others might be interested in having this info as well.

What I have done is to take the "recommended information" in Citizen Simon's FAK sticky and put it into a spread sheet along with the best prices I have found over the last couple of weeks, as well as the URLs to the sites I found.

In addition I have totaled the extended cost.

The sheet is self calculating (yeah I know, not a big deal) so if you want to change the number of IZZYs, or the amount of Chapstick, just change the number of units and the total will adjust for you.

I would love to attach the sheet here but that's not an option on this forum.

So the sheet can be found here, you'll need MS Excel to view it properly:

EDIT: I should say, I added a single Surgical Kit to his list only because he called for specific instruments and the entire kit was not much more expensive then the individual instruments.

http://101natcap.org/ZS/Documents/Basic_FAK_list.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thor

Re: Citizen Simon's recommended Basic FAK

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 pm

eleven views and no love :(

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:31 pm

LOL. Relax, man. ZS isn't always the chattiest group when you're just tossing out facts, especially in First Aid. Now, start a discussion on whether or not QuickClot is a good thing to have in a kit. Then you'll get your replies. :P

Bayonett

Post by Bayonett » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:35 pm

That seems like a nice list

But I'm sure you can get a lot of that from a wal-mart. Which kinda means minus the shipping cost. I dont know about the heavier medical equipment, but things like Kerlix and gauze pads, band-aids, all that you can grab in one go. Because I see things in there like Aspirin and Rubbing Alcohol. In my opinion theres just no need to order that online.

Unless I got it wrong and you're planning to buy all of that locally. If not, then its just a heads up :)

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:36 pm

airballrad wrote:LOL. Relax, man. ZS isn't always the chattiest group when you're just tossing out facts, especially in First Aid. Now, start a discussion on whether or not QuickClot is a good thing to have in a kit. Then you'll get your replies. :P
LOL Yeah actually I had to do a lot of research into quick clot before I ever considered pricing it out.

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Bayonett wrote:That seems like a nice list

But I'm sure you can get a lot of that from a wal-mart. Which kinda means minus the shipping cost. I dont know about the heavier medical equipment, but things like Kerlix and gauze pads, band-aids, all that you can grab in one go. Because I see things in there like Aspirin and Rubbing Alcohol. In my opinion theres just no need to order that online.

Unless I got it wrong and you're planning to buy all of that locally. If not, then its just a heads up :)
Oh yeah I know. But I was doing the research so I thought I would just go right down his list.

Bayonett

Post by Bayonett » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:44 pm

alright, but um.. a basic FAK with CPR-mask and a surgical mask seems more than basic to me though. Maybe take pick between either alcohol or hydrogen peroxide?

Sorry if it seems like I'm giving only negative comments but it seems a little too much for a basic FAK to me. Everything else you have seems alright.

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Bayonett wrote:alright, but um.. a basic FAK with CPR-mask and a surgical mask seems more than basic to me though. Maybe take pick between either alcohol or hydrogen peroxide?

Sorry if it seems like I'm giving only negative comments but it seems a little too much for a basic FAK to me. Everything else you have seems alright.
Well you're half right I guess. Simon had only alcohol in his list, I added H2O2 cause it seemed reasonable.

The Ambu mask was on his list.
Last edited by Thor on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Good job....don't worry about having added stuff to the list. Folks don't have to buy what they think they wont need.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Thor wrote:
Bayonett wrote:alright, but um.. a basic FAK with CPR-mask and a surgical mask seems more than basic to me though. Maybe take pick between either alcohol or hydrogen peroxide?

Well you're half right I guess. Simon had only alcohol in his list, I added H2O2 cause it seemed reasonable.

The Ambo mask was on his list.

He didn't have peroxide on his list, because it is no longer considered as an appropriate cleanser for most wounds, since it tends to kill the surrounding tissue as well as the bacteria in the wound. Even regular old tap water is deemed a lot more beneficial for debridement.
However, if you can't get evenpotable water then....

Nice list BTW. Good of you to go to all that trouble for folks. Little tip though; apart from the stuff you can find at Wallyworld, always check Evilbay for out-of-the-ordinary items. They can usually be had for much cheaper than stores. I shy away from stuff with expiration dates though.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Sicone
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Tokyo Zombie, Shaun Of the Dead

Post by Sicone » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:56 pm

I went to the pharmacy (Walmart) to price some kerlix and at a little over three dollars a roll is way over priced. Even with S&H i'd rather get at least than online.

Thanks for the list im having to download Open Office to see it.

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:56 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:
Thor wrote:

The Ambo mask was on his list.

He didn't have peroxide on his list, because it is no longer considered as an appropriate cleanser for most wounds, since it tends to kill the surrounding tissue as well as the bacteria in the wound. Even regular old tap water is deemed a lot more beneficial for debridement.
However, if you can't get evenpotable water then....

Nice list BTW. Good of you to go to all that trouble for folks. Little tip though; apart from the stuff you can find at Wallyworld, always check Evilbay for out-of-the-ordinary items. They can usually be had for much cheaper than stores. I shy away from stuff with expiration dates though.
Oh yeah I agree Ebay is great for finding this stuff but i didn't want to link to them because the links would die quickly (as soon as the auctions ended) I wanted to put up links that would last at least a couple of months.

Plus I am hoping Simon will take my spreadsheet and incorporate it into his sticky and for that to happen you will need the links to be active for at least a few months.

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Sicone wrote:I went to the pharmacy (Walmart) to price some kerlix and at a little over three dollars a roll is way over priced. Even with S&H i'd rather get at least than online.

LOL you a MAC guy or an Ubuntu guy?

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Well, stop hoping and shoot him a PM... 8)
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:01 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:Well, stop hoping and shoot him a PM... 8)
In the process of doing that.

Sicone
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Tokyo Zombie, Shaun Of the Dead

Post by Sicone » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Thor wrote:
Sicone wrote:I went to the pharmacy (Walmart) to price some kerlix and at a little over three dollars a roll is way over priced. Even with S&H i'd rather get at least than online.

Neither atm but im a fan of open source :)

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Sicone wrote:
Thor wrote:

Neither atm but im a fan of open source :)
As am I . . . Image

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:07 am

Although I am currently drunk completely off of my ass, and no longer certified to give any kind of medical recommendation of any kind I will review this once the hangover ends and give a review. Just from what I have seen I anticipate positive remarks.
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:21 am

Simon, you're hilarious.

Thor

Post by Thor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:07 pm

So just out of curiosity what size bad would hold all that stuff?

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Citizen Simon wrote:Although I am currently drunk completely off of my ass, and no longer certified to give any kind of medical recommendation of any kind I will review this once the hangover ends and give a review. Just from what I have seen I anticipate positive remarks.

Doc's still hungover???

Damn, that man knows how to drink. :lol:

Hey OP, thanks for putting that list together. Good work. 8)
Last edited by grand94jeep on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Woo hoo, stickied for my enjoyment.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Still waiting for someone to tell me what "bag" I would need to hold all that stuff.

Return to “First Aid”