Some Guy's F.A.K.

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Some Guy

Some Guy's F.A.K.

Post by Some Guy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 am

Some Guy wrote:Bought this bag about 2 years ago and has been on many trips all over the US but so far havent had to use it (no regret at all). It was good for me being a beginner, with very little added to it. The more i keep coming back to this section the more stuff i want to buy. Slowly but surely i will get better but until i am prepared for it (reading and some classes) im not going into trauma supplies yet.

Pack closed
Pack opened, notice the hook. Great for hanging on a wall or in a closet for quick acess
Pack completely opened
Content of the pouch all the way to the right in the (Pack completely opened) photo
Content of the small open pouches in the second from the right section of the (Pack completely opened) photo
Content of the pouch in the second from the right section of the (Pack completely opened) photo
What the original FAK came with
Just came in the mail today

and some items im thinking about adding

Now I'm pretty sure i wont need three Sharpies, so what color do you think I should keep. I also don't really see the need to keep the whole pad on me, was thinking about ripping out like 5 sheets and sticking it in my bag. Also, the condoms are in there for emergency water or tourniquet. Do i really need duct tape if I'm going to be carrying around 3m tape? I know i don't need three emergency blankets so I'm only going to keep one and put in 1 roll of Kerlix unless you guys think I should keep two on me. The super glue is only in there till i get me some durabond. Don't really see the need to keep the Ammonia Inhalants unless you guys think its a good idea. They were only like 4 bucks so i said F it and bought them. I bought a starter kit of sutures to practice with so i only plan on keeping two in my bag. Let me know what you guys thinking cause most of you are on a whole other level that I can't even imagine.
What got me started before I found Zombie Squad -have to give credit to what started me off
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

When you can't run you crawl, and when you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you. - Firefly

Ovationman

Re: Some Guy's F.A.K.

Post by Ovationman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 am

Some Guy wrote:
Some Guy wrote:Bought this bag about 2 years ago and has been on many trips all over the US but so far havent had to use it (no regret at all). It was good for me being a beginner, with very little added to it. The more i keep coming back to this section the more stuff i want to buy. Slowly but surely i will get better but until i am prepared for it (reading and some classes) im not going into trauma supplies yet.

Pack closed
Pack opened, notice the hook. Great for hanging on a wall or in a closet for quick acess
Pack completely opened
Content of the pouch all the way to the right in the (Pack completely opened) photo
Content of the small open pouches in the second from the right section of the (Pack completely opened) photo
Content of the pouch in the second from the right section of the (Pack completely opened) photo
What the original FAK came with
Just came in the mail today

and some items im thinking about adding

Now I'm pretty sure i wont need three Sharpies, so what color do you think I should keep. I also don't really see the need to keep the whole pad on me, was thinking about ripping out like 5 sheets and sticking it in my bag. Also, the condoms are in there for emergency water or tourniquet. Do i really need duct tape if I'm going to be carrying around 3m tape? I know i don't need three emergency blankets so I'm only going to keep one and put in 1 roll of Kerlix unless you guys think I should keep two on me. The super glue is only in there till i get me some durabond. Don't really see the need to keep the Ammonia Inhalants unless you guys think its a good idea. They were only like 4 bucks so i said F it and bought them. I bought a starter kit of sutures to practice with so i only plan on keeping two in my bag. Let me know what you guys thinking cause most of you are on a whole other level that I can't even imagine.

Well first off I would suggest a new bag. This one won't hold much of what you just got.

Condoms are not useful for a FAK. Maybe for Water storage in a survival kit but not for your FAK. Useing them as a Tourniquet sounds like a really bad idea. The Triangular bandage is a far better choice for the that job.

The more Kerlix the better.

Duct tape holds better in adverse conditions than medical tape so keep it around.

DO NOT close a wound unless you have been trained in doing so. Therefore do not carry sutures.

Ammonia inhalants are no longer used, dump them.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:28 am

+2 on the Trojans, just remember to replace them regularly! After saving some girls ass, they do like to show their appreciation...

Rescue Sex is right up there with Liberation Sex, just ask the guys that liberated Paris...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

sprhldr85

Post by sprhldr85 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:07 pm

Unless you come across a lot of passed out people who don't wake up when you yell and shake them you really don't need ammonia inhalants.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:46 pm

sprhldr85 wrote:Unless you come across a lot of passed out people who don't wake up when you yell and shake them you really don't need ammonia inhalants.
Or the condoms.. uggh, just had to go there didn't I?

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:42 pm

sprhldr85 wrote:Unless you come across a lot of passed out people who don't wake up when you yell and shake them you really don't need ammonia inhalants.
They are not used even for that anymore. You risk by the produced reflex making any spinal trauma worse.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Ovationman wrote:
They are not used even for that anymore. You risk by the produced reflex making any spinal trauma worse.
I still carry them at work. The Firefighters love the NRB and 2 inhalants trick.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I guess it all depends on local protocol and they are not in the books anymore I don't think. Still putting them in a FAK sounds like a less than great idea

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:47 pm

I always wonder if you leave them in front of the airway too long does it then irratate it and cause the skin to slough off like in the old ammonia fires?
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Well I wont be putting the inhalants into my pack. As for the new bag, while i have thought about it, it kills me to get rid of my original pack. I did manage to get two kelrixs, one izzy, two rolls of 2" 3m tape, Sam Splint, Duct tape and EMT Sheers into it. The bag is stuffed pretty good and tight, anything more and i will have to change out the bag.
What got me started before I found Zombie Squad -have to give credit to what started me off
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

When you can't run you crawl, and when you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you. - Firefly

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Power lifters are using smelling salts as a stimulant now and I have had EMTs use them on me on at least 3 occassions to try and break a seizure. They're small, portable, and could be very handy in certain circumstances.

Apache

Post by Apache » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm

EricinMaryland wrote:Power lifters are using smelling salts as a stimulant now and I have had EMTs use them on me on at least 3 occassions to try and break a seizure. They're small, portable, and could be very handy in certain circumstances.
power lifters?

Did the EMT's have no diazepam/lorazepam? Aww
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Apache... I don't know. Wasn't really in a place to ask. People with me told me later.

Here are smelling salts as a power/weight lifting extreme sports aid... this makes no sense to me, but it must make sense to someone. I'm guessing placebo effect or something. Nose Tork Weight Lifting Aid

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Ovationman wrote:Well first off I would suggest a new bag. This one won't hold much of what you just got.

Done, now i just need like $5000 to keep up with the other S.T.O.M.P. II bags
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Alright, haven't gotten any new gear from the last time but going to show where the gear is in the bag. Also, going to take some stuff out for my BOB first aid kit. Just recently bought a Medical Kit Bag so need to get some stuff into that.

Outside of bag

Top flap opened

Bottom Flap opened

Inside the zipped up pouch
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Here is my B.O.B. first aid kit. I stole some stuff from my larger bag and will need to get more stuff. Working progress here

Here is the small amounts of items that are in this bag. A lot of space is left and just need to go out and buy the items for the bag

Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

Prepared American

Post by Prepared American » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Condoms are not useful for a FAK. Maybe for Water storage in a survival kit but not for your FAK. Useing them as a Tourniquet sounds like a really bad idea. The Triangular bandage is a far better choice for the that job.
I disagree. Condoms work great in conjunction with a 14g. Angiocath for chest decompression. Something all the premade chest Deco kits leave out is a one way flutter valve. If you stick your needle through a condom first then make you stick, you can unroll it and it will let the bad air out and keep air from re-entering the thoracic cavity thus protecting the patient from a tension pneumothorax. I have used the technique a few time on people with pneumo's and it works very well, especially when your in the field and dont have the means to opperate a pleurevac or have a nice mcswain flutter valve handy.

Just my two cents.
Hoping to bring back common sense to the prepping community.
dogbane wrote:It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

Return to “First Aid”