FR-1 IFAK (pics)

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NoDice
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks, Dawn of the Dead (both), The Crazies (only saw remake), I am Legend, World War Z (book was better)

FR-1 IFAK (pics)

Post by NoDice » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 am

Hey this is my first FAK setup. I will be using this for hiking, camping, and carrying in my truck. It will either be "stand-alone" in my truck when not on excursions or attached to my Condor II pack.
The FR-1 next to my hiking/GHB/EDC pack which is also a work in progress.
Here it is opened up.
Everything in the pouch from the ace bandage right:
1 cold compress
10 Q-tips
1 mini med tape
1 disposable lancet
2 popsicle sticks
1 quik clot 1st responder sponge
2 4x4 surgical sponges (2 per pack)
1 ace bandage
2 5x9 combine pads
Everything left of the ace bandage:
first-aid guide
1 med tape
assorted quick clean wipes and asprine (kept in zippered compartment)
couple pairs of gloves
2 anti biotic ointment
2 2x2 gauze dressings (2 per pack)
assorted band-aids
9 alcohol prep pads

There it is!
Looking for some input from some of you experienced guys out there b/c I know there are things I am over looking.
Memphis:"This is explainable! You can prove you didn't shoot the Archbishop..."
Swagger:"You don't understand, these boys killed my dog."

-Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

NoDice
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks, Dawn of the Dead (both), The Crazies (only saw remake), I am Legend, World War Z (book was better)

Re: FR-1 IFAK (pics)

Post by NoDice » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:52 am

By the way I plan on adding super glue and CPR mask.

VVR41TH
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend

Post by VVR41TH » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

NoDice wrote:By the way I plan on adding super glue and CPR mask.
-super glue
+duct tape

Additionally, the q-tips are near worthless. While they don't weigh a lot, that space could be used for something about the same size--and useful.

You could also look into some form of compressed gauze (e.g. PriMed)--the 4x4 pads are nice, but a gauze roll goes a long way (pun intended). You could probably drop one of the 5x9 pads if you add in some PriMed.

You might be against being med-heavy, but at the very least, I'd add in some benadryl and a non-aspirin pain reliever (naproxen, ibuprofen, or whatever else suits your fancy) to complement the aspirin. Aspirin + bleeding wounds = bad times.

I'm not sure what sort of survival gear you carry in your backpack, but if you've got the space, a space blanket could do wonders. It's not completely a first aid item, but I keep mine in my kits.

Overall, though, a good little FAK. You managed to cram a lot of things normally left to the bigger kits in there (like a cold pack--holy crap), and that's got ups and downs.

Oh, and good choice on the Durapore (at least, it looks like the Durapore from the albedo and texture/weave).

claren

Post by claren » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:51 pm

My thoughts:

-Toss the q-tips.
-Too many alcohol wipes.
-Replace the aspirin with Ibuprofen.
-A priMed Gauze would be a great addition.
-If not that, then a Kling bandage roll would be good. Either one is priceless for when you get a huge abrasion that your 4x4's can't completely cover.

What's a combine pad?
VVR41TH wrote:Oh, and good choice on the Durapore (at least, it looks like the Durapore from the albedo and texture/weave).
Yes; Durapore is probably the best "medical" tape you can use for outdoor first aid. And way to use "albedo"; neat word that doesn't get used nearly often enough.
The stars at night...

VVR41TH
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend

Post by VVR41TH » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:07 pm

claren wrote: What's a combine pad?
As far as I know, it's a combination of gauze and a liquid-resistant layer.
claren wrote: And way to use "albedo"; neat word that doesn't get used nearly often enough.
Yeah, it's a fun word. A rerun of Mythbusters (the Moon Landing episode, to be exact) made me remember the word's awesomeness.

NoDice

Post by NoDice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 pm

VVR41TH wrote:
NoDice wrote:By the way I plan on adding super glue and CPR mask.
+duct tape
Additionally, the q-tips are near worthless. While they don't weigh a lot, that space could be used for something about the same size--and useful.

You could also look into some form of compressed gauze (e.g. PriMed)--the 4x4 pads are nice, but a gauze roll goes a long way (pun intended).
You could probably drop one of the 5x9 pads if you add in some PriMed.

You might be against being med-heavy, but at the very least, I'd add in some benadryl and a non-aspirin pain reliever (naproxen, ibuprofen, or whatever else suits your fancy) to complement the aspirin. Aspirin + bleeding wounds = bad times.

I'm not sure what sort of survival gear you carry in your backpack, but if you've got the space, a space blanket could do wonders. It's not completely a first aid item, but I keep mine in my kits.

Overall, though, a good little FAK. You managed to cram a lot of things normally left to the bigger kits in there (like a cold pack--holy crap), and that's got ups and downs.

Oh, and good choice on the Durapore (at least, it looks like the Durapore from the albedo and texture/weave).
-got duct tape in another location
-dumping q tips
-priMed is coming
-threw in some ibuprofen, I am only goin light with the FAK cuz I'm just starting out (its my area of lesser knowledge at this point obviously)
-I have plenty of space for the blanket since the condor is incomplete as my GHB (suprisingly carries a lot so in the long run may add some GP pouches and make it a BOB)
-Yes this FR-1 can hold a lot more than I thought but it is getting pretty tight! I have a Maxped Kodiak I'm planning on making a large FAK when the FR-1 starts to overflow

Thanks bud, thats the kinda input I need

NoDice

Post by NoDice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 pm

claren wrote:My thoughts:

-Toss the q-tips.
-Too many alcohol wipes.
-Replace the aspirin with Ibuprofen.
-A priMed Gauze would be a great addition.
-If not that, then a Kling bandage roll would be good. Either one is priceless for when you get a huge abrasion that your 4x4's can't completely cover.
I have all those wipes b/c I have the room at the moment. When it gets tighter I'm going to dump some excess.
Thanks for the links, The primed is on the way!

Return to “First Aid”