DaveJohns' multi FAK thread (updated yet again!)

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DaveJohns
Favorite Zombie Movies: C-SPAN!

DaveJohns' multi FAK thread (updated yet again!)

Post by DaveJohns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:22 am

(yet another update: May 30. It is all be redone, blah blah. Basically ignore any and all comments prior to today...)

First off, thanks to everyone who has been contributing ideas and suggestions for my kit; they are GREATLY appreciated. With your help, my bag has grown, mutated, changed, and multiplied! I now actually have THREE 1st aid kits, and thought it would be best to simply add all three to my FAK thread, instead of creating 3 different ones.

I currently have: an Individual FAK for my daily carry bag, a more rounded FAK for my bugout bag (I consider this to be my main kit) and an inch/car bag/trauma kit that is still under development. I welcome any and all comments and constructive criticism! Have fun.

First up is my Individual FAK, which lives in my EDC/day hike bag. It is designed for basic "booboo" and minor trauma (cuts, sprains, and the like). I put it together with the thought that professional medical help for severe injuries would be an hour away at most, so the intent here is to stabilize and wait for help.

The kit is a basic first aid kit I bought at Walmart, removed most of the parts, and added my own. The original bag cost something like $10, not a bad price for a hard sided trifold kit. I think the only thing I kept out of the original setup was the coldpack. (Husky multitool shown for size reference)

The Ifak opened up. 4 compartments.

Here are all the contents spread out.

It has:
Misc adhesive bandages, including butterfly, 1x4, 2x2, and the like
2 packs of BurnX gel
8 alcohol swabs
4 Bacitracin antibiotics packs
12" 550 cord
tweezers
2 Kling rolls, 4" (Due to space constraints, I could go with 3-2" or 2-4". I would rather have the larger rolls.)
1 roll 1" durapore tape
Antiseptic wipes
Bag with SPF30 sunblock, Ambesol, Superglue, and Benydryl spray
Duct tape and single edge razor blade
Aspirin and Naproxin
LED flashlight. Batteries are in it with the ends taped, so it will have a charge when I need it.
Nitrile gloves.
1 pack of Celox. In case someone really starts leaking.
1 triangular bandage
2 ACE wraps, 2"
1-4" trauma dressing
1 4x6 field dressing
sharpie
(not pictured but really important to this kit: Moleskin)

Next up, is my camping/bugout FAK. This one is meant to have the supplies needed for simple illness and moderate to severe injuries, in situations where medical help may not be immediately available. Injury/illness stabilization and possible "walk out" is the name of the game. Therefore, compared to my Ifak, I have more basic meds, more bandages and dressings, splint materials, and the like.

Here is the bag. It started life as a fishing tackle box from BassPro. It has 3 quite useful outside pockets, and I comparmentalized the main section a little to help sorting stuff out. (husky multitool shown for size reference)

The front pocket is the "initial contact" pouch.

12 pairs nitrile gloves
N95 mask
head worn LED light
pen, sharpie, and notepad (after I took the pic I realized they werent in waterproof bags. Fixed.)
hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes
digital thermometer
midgrade trauma shears

the left pocket holds all the meds etc:

100% DEET spray
SPF30 spray
aspirin, acetominophan, ibuprophin, pepto, tums, dramamine, antidiarreal tabs
neosporin creme
superglue
ambesol

The right pocket is the "extras" bin:

adhesive bandages, many, 1x4 up to 4x4
duct tape and single blade razor
moleskin
SOF tourniquet

the main compartment holds the following:

SAM splint
2 wooden splints
4 - Watergel 2x6 burn dressing
2- 15g Celox packs
Mercuroclear antiseptic
1-4oz sterile saline
3-4" ETD
1-6"x12" (abdominal) ETD
1-Hyfin chest seal
1 triangular bandage
2- 4" elastic wraps
1-4" ACE bandage
2 rolls 1" and 1 roll 2" durapore tape
4- 4" Kling rolls
space blanket
(also, 6 safety pins are attached to the top of the bag)

Next, we get to my car medical bag. It is part of my (ever evolving) INCH rig, and is geared toward trauma situations. This bag is evolving quite rapidly as funds allow, but here it is as of today.

The bag is a midsize paramedic bag I got from Rescue Essentials. It has 2 large side pockets, and the main compartment has movable dividers. (husky multitool shown for size reference)

The left pocket is for initial contact , plus a few things that just dont have a proper home in the main compartment.

N95 mask
12 pair nitrile gloves
hand sanitizer and wet wipes
neosporin
Burn gel
isopropyl alcohol
Chewable aspirin
alcohol and antiseptic wipes
miscellaneous bandages

The right pocket has some of the bigger items that didnt fit anywhere else:

SOF tourniquet
2 - SAM splints
2 - elastic wraps

The middle section, of course, has a bunch of stuff.

Forgive me if I just give you a list, instead of detailed pics...
(far left side)
stethoscope and sphygmomanometer
primatene inhaler (epinephrine)
(not pictured b/c it hasnt shown up yet) Ambu bag and mask

(main compartment)
2 bottles sterile saline
led flashlight
1/2 roll duct tape
roll of electrical tape
4 ACE bandages, 2 each 2" and 4"
2-2oz bottles liquid glucose
1-8oz bottle povidone iodine
1 tube vaseline
4 rolls 1" durapore tape, 2 rolls 2" durapore
higher grade trauma shears
rescue knife/glass breaker/seatbelt cutting tool
2 instant cold packs
2 celox packs, 15g ea
2 Izzys, 4"
1-6"x12" ETD
1-Hyfin occlusive dressing
8- 4"x 4" sterile dressings
8- 2" x 2" sterile dressings
2- 4" x 6" field dressings
space blanket
2-36" traingular bandages
8- 4" Kling rolls
6- 2" kerlix rolls

(far right side)
OPA kit, assorted sizes
field utility kit with tweezers, forceps, probes, etc

so there you have it. Comments are, of course, always welcome!
Last edited by DaveJohns on Sat May 30, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Medic Nemec
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Re: Need help with my FAK

Post by Medic Nemec » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:33 am

Something I'd recommend is dropping the iodine swabs since they're mainly for invasive work. Alcohol swabs work for everything else. Also, for small booboos toss is some tegaderms (1640 is my pref) or 2" tape and more 2x2 or 4x4 to make your own bandages of various sizes. Also I'd think about throwing in a CAT. And cravats (triangular bandages) are always useful for just about anything.
Combat Medic (68W)
EMT-Tactical Paramedic

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:37 am

I just took the 2 triangular bandages out when I got the SAM. I may be able to get them back in there.

Thanks for the pointer!
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

Halcyon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Blade Runner
Gardens of Stone
24 (people are Zombies Too!)

Post by Halcyon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 am

Excellent start

I'd add a tourniquet, easily accessible and get a second one for my rack vest, one that i can apply one handed. i recommend this one beacuse it is cost effective to get for all team members
http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/cat ... ts_id=2658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'd add loperamide (generic antidiarrheal) as well, and benadryl for anaphylaxis
Me wrote:
some H23er wrote: you can give a man a fish, and feed him for but a day after his unemployment check runs out, but if you give him a handgun, he'll act more like a man, and maybe vote the bastards out next time
I am Legend? No, more like rumor. First there was Bubba, and then rumors of Bubba. WWBD? Bubba's a III%er
http://tennesseepreppersnetwork.blogspot.com

Medic Nemec
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Medic Nemec » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:36 am

The cravats can be used as tourniquets in the same fashion as the one linked. If you can get them, Combat Application Tourniquets (CATs) with metal windlasses are best. I have a splint pouch on my bag with a SAM splint and 6 cravats in it.
Combat Medic (68W)
EMT-Tactical Paramedic

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 am

Also look at SOFTT tqs(what I have) or MAT tqs.

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:30 am

DaveJohns wrote:So, what am I missing?
Not a bad little kit, especially with the additions/deletions already suggested. Your tape appears to be 1" wide, rather than 1/2" -- I'd aim to have (2) 1" rolls, not (4). Also, is it Durapore, or something else (hopefully not paper)?

I don't see any gloves -- figure at least two pairs (nitrile) if you plan on treating anyone except yourself. A pocket CPR mask might be a consideration as well.

Other minor revisions would be to go with one 3" or 4" ACE bandage over the two smaller ones. I'd probably also drop one of the ETD's, as well as one of the QuikClot's, in favor of more 4" x 4" gauze pads. Safety pins are handy (although are generally packaged along with cravats).

4oz of burn gel is a lot for a kit this size, so look into a few unit packages instead to make some extra room, and perhaps add one large (4" x 4") burn gel pad. I'd also add a few unit packs of BZK towelettes for wound cleaning, as well as a couple of alcohol prep pads in lieu of the small bottle of alcohol that you have now.

For your OTC meds, I favor carrying a couple of doses of a variety of meds (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Imodium, Benadryl, Sudafed, and Pepcid or Pepto-Bismol) versus a large bottle of just one of them (Tylenol).

One or two small disposable amps (~20cc) of sterile saline would be very useful -- eye wash can also be used for wound irrigation, but typically not vise versa. Finally, since this kit is for a BoB, I would add some moleskin, Blist-O-Ban, or Spyroflex for blister prevention/treatment and a few strip bandages for minor cuts.

Jim

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 am

Paragon wrote: Not a bad little kit, especially with the additions/deletions already suggested. Your tape appears to be 1" wide, rather than 1/2" -- I'd aim to have (2) 1" rolls, not (4). Also, is it Durapore, or something else (hopefully not paper)?
Yea, it is 1". And it is 3m cloth durapore. I have read enough threads where you guys run ppl out on a rail if they buy cheap. :twisted:

I don't see any gloves -- figure at least two pairs (nitrile) if you plan on treating anyone except yourself. A pocket CPR mask might be a consideration as well.
Not pictured, but they are in the outside zip pocket.

Other minor revisions would be to go with one 3" or 4" ACE bandage over the two smaller ones. I'd probably also drop one of the ETD's, as well as one of the QuikClot's, in favor of more 4" x 4" gauze pads. Safety pins are handy (although are generally packaged along with cravats).
4oz of burn gel is a lot for a kit this size, so look into a few unit packages instead to make some extra room, and perhaps add one large (4" x 4") burn gel pad. I'd also add a few unit packs of BZK towelettes for wound cleaning, as well as a couple of alcohol prep pads in lieu of the small bottle of alcohol that you have now.
I have a pair of ace bandages, since I figure my most common injury will be twisted ankles and bad knees. i really should have MORE elastic wraps, given my clumsiness. I will drop a QC for the moment if I cant cram everything else in, but I get paranoid when I only have ONE of someting -- it gets used, then I dont have any more. And agreed on the burngel, but I havent remembered to get the smaller single-use packs yet. Will get that on my next pharmacy run. I can easily put more 2x2 and 4x4 pads in the kit, consider it done. But for the moment I think i'll keep the bottle of alcohol - it is multiuse, and wont run out as soon as the wipes.
For your OTC meds, I favor carrying a couple of doses of a variety of meds (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Imodium, Benadryl, Sudafed, and Pepcid or Pepto-Bismol) versus a large bottle of just one of them (Tylenol).

Yup. Good idea. I have some of these in the large bottle, will get more.

One or two small disposable amps (~20cc) of sterile saline would be very useful -- eye wash can also be used for wound irrigation, but typically not vise versa. Finally, since this kit is for a BoB, I would add some moleskin, Blist-O-Ban, or Spyroflex for blister prevention/treatment and a few strip bandages for minor cuts.
Would plain old saline bottles packaged for eyecare do the trick? And yea, I have 2 moleskins, they are in another part of my bob. Not sure why I removed them from the FAK... And strip bandages are in the front pocket.

Wow! That is a lot of really, REALLY helpful ideas (from everyone) - Thanks so much. I will update my list as I get the improvements in place.

D

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

SARHound
Favorite Zombie Movies: Horny undead cheerleader nymphos

Post by SARHound » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Great start your the kit man.

Others have mentioned great additions.

I would look at keeping alcohol swabs and the betadine swabs, both are handy in the field. Ditch the alcohol bottle overkill.

Hrs from help means it could be days for evac in bad conditions. Infection is a real possibility, normally saline will flush a wound nicely but its heavy. Treat regular water with a betadine water mix and flush the wound with a 10cc irrigation syringe. A zip lock bag helps to make the flush medium, I drop 1 swab into a sandwich sized ziplock bag 1/2 full of water and shake. I use this mixture in SAR ops often and it works well and doesnt degrade tissue. The betadine ensures the water you use is clean of nasties.

Triangular bandages are your friend in austere FA. They are a kit unto themselves. I carry 4-6 minimum, you can tie with them soak em in water for temps, pack a wound with them, they are a tourny as well, you can even sling an arm with one ;)

Meds are great to carry as they cant be rigged. Blister care is important to consider. Gloves at least 4 pairs.

Going light is all about trade offs and multifunctional gear.

HOund
"Walk the walk,
its a neanderthal thing.
You wouldn't understand"

PCP/WEMT/SAR Tech I

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:46 pm

DaveJohns wrote:
Paragon wrote:One or two small disposable amps (~20cc) of sterile saline would be very useful -- eye wash can also be used for wound irrigation, but typically not vise versa.
Would plain old saline bottles packaged for eyecare do the trick?
Yes (as opposed to saline that is sold as nasal moisturizer or for wound irrigation -- these typically feature other additives such as alcohol or aloe vera that you don't really want in someone's eye). I prefer the indivdually packaged OcuFresh eye wash amps although anything sold for use in the eyes will work.

Jim

DaveJohns

Re: Need help with my FAK (updated! new bag, new stuff)

Post by DaveJohns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:12 am

UPDATED the O.P. with new pics and stuff. Still looking for help getting it "tweaked".

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

colonelklink

Post by colonelklink » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:59 am

Yea I'd replace pepto with loperamide tabs or at least add loperamide. It's faster and more effective with the shits than pepto is.

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:11 am

Lorperamide, as in Immodium? Its the little bottle labeled "A.D." - and yes, you are right. The pepto is more for upset stomach. Good call!

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Dave, check your PMs.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Asininity

Post by Asininity » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:00 pm

All I can say is a packet of wound closure strips. Other than that bravo! I like it.
Never Point A Gun At Something You're Not Prepared To Destroy! - IDPA

RepeatDefender
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like 'em all!

Post by RepeatDefender » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:58 pm

I like it. In fact, I'm working on one very similar. Thanks for the ideas!

Rí na hÉire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1: 28days later
2: Shawn of the Dead
3: Dawn of the Dead
4: Pet Cemetary (not really a zombie movie)
5: Land of the dead

Re: DaveJohns' multi FAK thread (updated yet again!)

Post by Rí na hÉire » Sun May 31, 2009 2:00 pm

Nice bags but........are you living in a warzone or somtething?

I've a few Q's I'd love if you could answer

1. What does FAK actually stand for?

2. Why sharpy markers? I've seen them in loads of peoples BOBs but don't know why them specifically, I've a few normal biros.

3. I can't find loads of the gear you have in Ireland. Any idea where I could get them-international stores?
With the right shade of sunglasses you can take a dog anywhere.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, guns defend people from people with smaller guns!

I am Hurley/Crowbar/Spatula/Para-cord and pro-bayonet

FlungPup
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by FlungPup » Sun May 31, 2009 2:12 pm

I would put a tourniquet in the initial contact pouch.
Swing Your Fists While You Still Have Them!

"Successful outcomes breed bullshit solutions." - Paul Gomez

VVR41TH
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend

Post by VVR41TH » Sun May 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Rí na hÉire wrote: 1. What does FAK actually stand for?
First
Aid
Kit
Rí na hÉire wrote: 2. Why sharpy markers? I've seen them in loads of peoples BOBs but don't know why them specifically, I've a few normal biros.
Well, they write well enough on skin, which leads to their use in first aid, I believe--you can write when & what meds were administered on the patient so caregivers farther down the chain will know (I believe that's standard procedure in the military, for things like morphine, atropine, etc.).

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Sun May 31, 2009 5:05 pm

+1 on wound closure strips.

Also, a few CPR masks should go in the inital contack pouches. You dont want some nasty disease as a reward for reviving someone, the good ones have small N95 filters built into the mask, and they arent that big and not [too] expensive.

Other than that, great kit, I envy the 2nd bag.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Sun May 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Rí na hÉire wrote:Nice bags but........are you living in a warzone or somtething?

I've a few Q's I'd love if you could answer

1. What does FAK actually stand for?

2. Why sharpy markers? I've seen them in loads of peoples BOBs but don't know why them specifically, I've a few normal biros.

3. I can't find loads of the gear you have in Ireland. Any idea where I could get them-international stores?
I live in a very quiet part of town, in a quiet part of the country. But disasters and accidents do happen, and a trauma kit is just as important whether the victim has a bullet, half a steering wheel, or a piece of a tree in their chest. Its why I have this stuff, and why I am working towards an eventual EMT certification; just to be prepared for whatever may come.

1) FAK is First Aid Kit.

2) The sharpies will write on almost anything (including skin) in almost any weather. If I need to notate when a tourniquet was applied or when the victim passed out, I can.

3) Most of the higher-end stuff, I bought from either RedFlare or Rescue Essentials. To the best of my knowledge, they both ship overseas. But honestly, the vast majority of my ifak and main fak can be bought at a well stocked pharmacy.

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

Rí na hÉire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1: 28days later
2: Shawn of the Dead
3: Dawn of the Dead
4: Pet Cemetary (not really a zombie movie)
5: Land of the dead

Post by Rí na hÉire » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:42 am

Cheers! :D

Good luck with the EMT certification
With the right shade of sunglasses you can take a dog anywhere.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, guns defend people from people with smaller guns!

I am Hurley/Crowbar/Spatula/Para-cord and pro-bayonet

Return to “First Aid”