Regret's EDC IFAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Regret

Regret's EDC IFAK

Post by Regret » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Greetings all, I'd posted my EDC a long time ago and completely forgot that I had never showen off my MOLLE IFAK attachment pouch and it's contents, so here we go...

My CountyComm EOD Mine Bag used as my Every Day Carry (EDC) with a 5.11 Medical Pouch attached via MOLLE to the front.

The 5.11 Pouch is easily removed from the EOD bag by pulling on the bottom to un-snap the MOLLE straps and slides up. Here is a side view.

And a rear view...as you can see it is pretty thick when zipped up.

Now for the meat of it all...IFAK opened.

Contents:
3M N95 Face Mask
Ziplock bag with meds.
Pair of Tactical Defender OD Nitrile Gloves (latex free-XL)

Ziplock bag for the meds.

Contents:
Aspirin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
ImmodiumAD
Pepto-Chewables
Calcium Carbonate (antacid)
Multi-vitamins
Cough Drops

Center contents removed so you can see both flaps clearly.

Attachment side flap (aka...Trauma Flap)

Contents:
Kendall Kerlix 4.5"x4.1yd Gauze Roll (x2)
Dynarex 4"x4" Gauze Pads (x5)
2" ACE Elastic Bandage (none-self adhering)
5"x9" Combine Abdominal Pad
Kendall 5"x9" Petrolatum Sterile Gauze (x2)
Moleskin Pack
Safety Pin (x3)

Front Flap (aka...everything else flap)

Contents:
Another Pair of Nitrile Gloves
Oval Eye Pads (x2)
Sunscreen
Purell Hand Sanitizer
5.5" Bandage Shears
1"x10yds 3M Durpore Tape Roll
Visine 30mL Bottle filled with Saline Solution (for eye wash and irrigation)
20cc Irrigation Syringe (for irrigation and suction)
Ammonium Inhalant Capsule (x1) <I know these are not standardly used anymore, but you never know...and I have a load of them)
Various Bandaids
Butterfly Suture Strips (x10)
Alcohol Prep Pads (x2)
Benzalkonium Chloride Towellets (x2)
Anti-Itch Gel
Oral Rehydration Salts packet
Neosporin Antibiotic
Anti-Fungal Cream
Glucose Tablets (many of my co-workers are diabetic)
Spenco 2nd Skin Burn Dressing (x2)

And my little First-Aid/Trauma Collection...

I'll show off my STOMP II Bag soon, I am currently resupplying it after having all of my supplies drained by a series of accidents from family-members/co-workers.

Ok, a little bit more information.

My training: I am AHA First-Aid and CPR certified and have passed the EMT-B state board licensure as of this year. I am currently in going thru the application process for admission into the University of Arkansas Medical School to begin my path to a medical degree.

About the pouch and why certain things are missing from the IFAK:

SAM Splint - I always keep my trauma bag in my vehicle and it has all the splinting materials I would need inside it...frankly, there is just not enough room inside this particular pack for a folded or rolled SAM Splint...believe me, I've tried.

Face Shield/RescueMask -

I have two of these actually...one that I keep in my right BDU pocket (if I am wearing BDUs that day) or it goes into the main compartment of the EOD bag. The other stays in the right accessory pouch on my STOMP II for easy access.

Triangular Bandage - I have everything I'd need to improvise one in my EDC, so carrying one in the IFAK would be redundant.

Can't really think of anything else, feel free to tear the EDC IFAK apart...I'd really be interested in some similar but larger IFAK pouches that you have used that would connect to my EDC bag. My biggest limitation with this particular bag, and the only negative thing I'd say about it, you really have to plan out what you're going to need and use the most. The pouch itself is packed full very quickly, as you can see from the side pictures.
Church: What a shitty medical school.
Tucker: Yeah, where'd you go, the University of Jamaica?
Doc: Oh please, I wouldn't be caught dead on that campus. I went to Jamaica State! We were the Jamaica State Fighting Irish!

claren

Re: Regret's EDC IFAK

Post by claren » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 pm

That 5.11 pouch is cute as a button. Some thoughts:

Why vitamins ? They don't serve any "acute" purpose that I can think of.

You need more ibuprofen. You might want to add some baby aspirin, too; 81mg are more easily chewed for sub-lingual administration during a possible MI.

Those bandage scissors are sharp enough (I have those exact ones), but the handle -will- be a limiting factor. You'll have a hard time cutting off anything more than a shirt or cotton pants. Consider getting a full-sized set of shears for your IFAK.

Your irrigation syringe is too small to be effective. Get a 30ml, or a 20ml if you really can't fit the 30ml in there.

Stuff some more 2nd skin in there; it's great stuff, and you want to be able to cover ALL of a bad burn, right?

Since you're already giving Spenco your money with the 2nd Skin, get some Blist-o-bans to replace your moleskin; they work much better, and are really neat. Great way to impress women in heels, when you come to their rescue. :twisted:

Good kit, overall. BTW, you don't get licensed as an EMT-B. You become certified as one. A difference you are especially likely to appreciate in 7 or so years. :mrgreen:
The stars at night...

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 am

You should add some anti-histamine and replace the itch-gel with some anti-itch-wipes: http://www.redflarekits.com/pc/4150/abx ... +Lidocaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try to replace Kerlix with PriMed.

Remove the syringe, add a ziplock. The suction-effect of 20ml..well sucks, so you might as well replace it with something more usefull.

Tweezers?

Ammonium inhalants: big no-no these days :wink:

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Regret

Post by Regret » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:27 am

Claren: The vitamins are more for myself, not really for others (I tend to forget to take one in the morning). I definitely know what you mean about those bandage shears, they really kill people with larger hands when using. I've got some full-sized ones in my trauma bag, I'll order another set for my IFAK soon. I normally do keep more Ibuprofen, it is a very popular item in my IFAK between myself and others I work with.

The 2nd skin pads are used for smaller burns, they work perfectly in the environment I work in where materials heated by a propane torch drip onto someone's skin. I used to carry one of my 4"x4" Waterjel packs, but I couldn't justify the bulk because I never used it in my IFAK. So I replaced it with the petrolatum gauze just in case a larger burn occurs...half the size, easier to pack. Even though I always carry my EDC/IFAK with me, my trauma bag is never more than a mile away for more extensive care.

Oh, and I will be taking the NREMT exam in the coming weeks. I know some guys who simply took the coursework, but never certified...not gonna be me.

Jim: I tried keeping anti-histamine wipes in the IFAK, but they never last more than a few days. Going into densely wooded areas leads to a large number of chigger bites, the gel just seems to work best. I will get some anti-histamine meds for those who would rather take them, I just never take them personally...they give me headaches and make me jittery. Anyone else ever have that problem?

Pri-Med conversion...very soon. If I get enough space from the change-over, I'll be putting a 6" ACE bandage in the IFAK instead of the 2".

@FacePalm@ Tweezers...added, don't know what happened to the tweezers I had in there before.

Replaced the 20mL syringe with a 30mL and a large catheter tip.

Ammonium Inhalants - They're standard issue in the FAKs that everyone carries in their trucks but never takes with them. I know they're not commonly used these days, and I have personally only used them once. The only time I ever used one was on a co-worker who had frequent blackouts (many times I've told him to see a doctor about them), but he fell down once and another co-worker brought me to where they were working. On assessment, it didn't seem like his 'normal' blackout...distention in the neck and non-responsive to pain stimuli, but when I performed a jaw thrust he began to breathe better. I suspected a blocked airway, so I opened his mouth and there was a large dark object stuck in his pharynx. I could reach in and remove it quickly, but I wanted to be sure before I started playing around with my fingers and his mouth. I cracked open an inhalant and he was still unresponsive...so with that little bit of re-assurance, I used the tweezers (I had at the time) and pulled out a large piece of jerky. Apparently, he'd been walking around knowing he'd gotten a piece stuck in this throat but didn't say anything until his falling on the ground said it for him. He came to and we called the paramedics, they gave him a little O2 and he was fine. People still tease him to this day...chew your food.

Other than that instance, I've never used an ammonium capsule...but they're small enough, I always tell myself..why not? If there is any other reason to 'never' use one, I'm all ears and willing to consider every option.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's really appreciated.
Doc: Oh please, I wouldn't be caught dead on that campus. I went to Jamaica State! We were the Jamaica State Fighting Irish!

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:39 am

The body always has a reason for becoming unconscious, so you never should 'force' someone to regain consciousness with ammonium-inhalants. Furthermore, a reaction to the ammonia says nothing about the conscious-level of a patient, it's just a 'reflex' to the ammonia..

Just secure/monitor the ABC's and let them come out of it themselves.

http://info.jems.com/jems/exclus04/e0504i.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll down a bit)

http://www.jems.com/application/search_ ... halant+use" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Regret

Post by Regret » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:24 am

I completely agree, and under normal circumstances I wouldn't even consider the inhalant. If the situation had occurred with a random person or I didn't know about his blackouts, the inhalant wouldn't have been used. Mostly out of the fear of drastic movements due to exposure to the inhalant...that point is well put in the articles you posted.

I've been bitten before and if I could fit a set of forceps in my IFAK that were of enough length to prevent any part of my hand from being bitten again, I would toss the inhalants completely. I actually do not even keep them in my STOMP bag because I have the appropriate instruments located inside. Every person exposed to the medical field has had their experiences with hypochondriacs and 'fakers', I suppose I consider it in that particular situation as a 'self-protection'...this is "Zombie Hunters" after all :P (j/k)

Tel0004

Post by Tel0004 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:41 pm

What are the dimensions on this? I'm looking for a medic pouch, and this looks good.

Regret

Post by Regret » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 pm

The med pouch's exterior dimensions are approx 5.5" x 5.5", and fully packed, is about 3" wide.

Tel0004

Post by Tel0004 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Regret wrote:The med pouch's exterior dimensions are approx 5.5" x 5.5", and fully packed, is about 3" wide.
Thanks for the info. It seems a bit on the small side for me, but I started looking into 5.11 after seeing that bag, and I think the small tool bag is just what I'm looking for.

Regret

Post by Regret » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:47 pm

It seems small, but I was amazed at how much I could actually pack inside this pouch. But you have to take it for what it is, if you're looking for a IFAK, this makes a great pouch. But I wouldn't personally use it for anything other than my personal FAK or a single-use FAK (without refill).

Tel0004

Post by Tel0004 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:46 am

I'm looking to build a first aid kit for my car, which will fit in my GHB (which the small kit tool bag will). Also, I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, so if a situation developed, I could get shot, or shoot somebody else, so major trauma is a possibility. You're kit looks great, and mine will probably be similar, Just this will be my vehicle trauma bag as well.

Return to “First Aid”