Ativan, stat!

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieCleaner

Ativan, stat!

Post by ZombieCleaner » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:03 pm

Ok, so I've been self medicating with different script. medications for a little over a year now for anxiety and (severe) anger issues. I had to stop recently because of a drug test and subsiquent random drug tests for work. Today I was prescribed 1mg Ativans to take as needed for my "episodes" (which could lead to people getting hurt if they didnt shut the fuck up).

Now I had gotten used to Valiums and Xanaxs to take care of my issues but never had to work under the influence of them.

I took an Ativan 20 minutes or so ago and hope to see if the effects would be manageable at work (I probably wont need them while working, but I'm so easily agitated I loose friends quickly).

Has anybody ever had any addiction problems with Ativans or benzopines in general? I was able to stop the Xanaxs and Valiums at will, because I only took them when I needed them, and I was paying street price. But that's not the point.

My main question from all this is, has anybody had experience with this medicine? (ativan)

Don't tell me to cry a river, build a bridge, and get over. Because I'll be tempted to find you, provided you live near me, and show you how serious I am. Anger management classes are as much bullshit as all the other meds I've tried before.
Jagdwulfe wrote:Does that make Gundown into Egg Chen? :shock:

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Re: Ativan, stat!

Post by JIM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Benzo's are very addictive and your body gets used to them after a while, so you need to increase the dose for it to remain active. Normally, we don't want people using benzodiazipines like Lorazepam for any longer than 2 weeks at a time. Also, don't use together with alcohol..

Some links I've found for you:

http://www.non-benzodiazepines.org.uk/lorazepam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://psychdrugs.wordpress.com/2008/08 ... -lawsuits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are other medications you could try like anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-convulsants or even beta-blockers. Believe it or not, anti-convulsant medication like carbamazepine are proven to work against agression and anxiety. Talk with your doc whether other types of medication can be used.
Anger management classes are as much bullshit as all the other meds I've tried before.
Are you serious that they told you to go to anger management for the problems you're having? Screw that. Anger management is for regulating the 'every day minor agression', not severe anxiety and anger disorders.. go to your doc, get a psych-referal and get propper therapy. Also make sure you work out regularly, eat well and try to keep your social contacts.. you'll need them in the long run.

And finally a question (because I'm dutch and don't know how it works in the US):

You needed to stop medication for drug tests at work? Couldn't you just tell your boss that you take certain med's that can show up in a drug test, even with a lettre from your physician? They can't fire you for that right?

HTH

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

painiac

Post by painiac » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:03 pm

I've never taken ativan, but I've given it quite a bit on short-term to old people who are confused and agitated. It knocks a lot of people right the fuck out, but doesn't seem to phase others. I can tell you for certain that resistance to benzodiazepines doesn't take very long to develop, as you found out with the xanax and valium.

That's great advice from Jim, and I don't have much to add to it at the moment. Your doctor prescribed something to help you, but doctors do not specialize in psychiatric issues so you will want to see somebody who does. A psychiatrist will be a lot more well-versed in meds that can be used long-term, and will be more experienced at tailoring the treatment to you.

You needed to stop medication for drug tests at work? Couldn't you just tell your boss that you take certain med's that can show up in a drug test, even with a lettre from your physician? They can't fire you for that right?
In the US, you won't be fired if you can present a valid prescription. The OP was not obtaining his meds through a doctor, so there was no script to protect him. Benzodiazepines are "controlled substances" under federal law in the US, and most employers frown very heavily on drug use of any kind without a prescription, valid reasons or not. I guess they feel that if the reasons are valid, there's no reason a doctor wouldn't prescribe them.

claren

Post by claren » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 pm

I would speak with your doctor about getting on a different medication, one better for long-term use.

Several of the docs I work with in the ER have said that Ativan has a high potential for addiction (even by the standards of other Benzodiazepines). For what it's worth, Wikipedia notes similar concerns.

IANAD, but I would think that Xanax would be a better fit for you. Good luck.
The stars at night...

tommytrauma

Post by tommytrauma » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm startled as hell to hear that a physician prescribed Ativan in such a manner. Yes, it is highly addictive. You need to discuss alternatives with your physician. You should also ask for a psych and / or neuro-psych referral.

ZombieCleaner

Post by ZombieCleaner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:54 pm

claren wrote:IANAD, but I would think that Xanax would be a better fit for you. Good luck.
I asked about Xanax and he said it was addictive and I was too young to be on it (I'm 19 in less than a month).

I go back this coming Thursday, and I hate I'm going to have to tell him I have too much of a tolerance for the ativans to even do anything.
Jagdwulfe wrote:Does that make Gundown into Egg Chen? :shock:

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:33 pm

I have no eperience with your medications, but just a word or two of advice regarding your "issues".

By the wording and tone of your post, you obviously have several "issues", no doubt. But, given your age, and obvious lack of perception regarding treatment/recovery options, I suggest you exercise a little more discretion. First off, you seem to not only dismiss any type of counseling (not necessarily "anger management" mind you), but you seem to think that drugs are/will be your "magic cure". I suggest you get a second, or third, opinion about your "condition", from someone who is licensed and experienced in personality disorders. Drugs alone will NOT cure anything like this; they will only help to mask your "symptoms/outbursts", and even that will only be temporary.

Whatever you do end up doing, I have but one last suggestion. Lose the attitude. Seriously.

Whatever is at the root of your problems, coming off as a total asswipe, and basically threatening folks, most-if not all- of whom you don't even know, will lead to nothing good for you. Despite how big and bad you may happen to be (or think you are), there will ALWAYS be someone bigger and badder than you are, and may be even more mentally unstable than you purport to be. Coming on here, or anywhere else, asking for advice, yet prefacing it with a thinly-veiled threat, will only serve to severely lessen your chances of making to your 20th birthday. Trust me.

Just my $.02, nothing else. You may take it or leave it, as you see fit. Just don't do something else dumb and tell me you're "coming to find me" or the like. Try and show a little more maturity, that's all.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:20 am

Agreed. Threatening to find out where someone lives and 'show them how serious you are' is a douchebag move, and would earn you a fresh mudhole stomped in your ass if you did it to the wrong person, or worse.

EDIT: So, you've been on here for 4 years and you're not even 19 yet?

:roll:

Buddy, we've had the "no one under 18" policy here for a while now. Also, how are you a civil engineer at 19?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 am

Zombie Cleaner, check your PMs.
Thread locked for discussion of illegal activity.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Return to “First Aid”