Where to Buy Medical Products: The Definitive Thread

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jorian

Re: Where to Buy Medical Products: The Definitive Thread

Post by Jorian » Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 am

Tperkins wrote:I know it's not a store per-se, but due to a few below described purchases I really think ebay is underrated for medical supplies. Finding a good seller is key though.

Over the last week I bought the following

- Lot of 2 Hem-Con 4x4 bandages for $16 + $2.99 ship. From Chinook Med a single HemCon 4x4 retails for over $150

-North American Rescue CAT (Combat Application TQ) for $10.51, retails at apprx $35 plus shipping

-15 Rolls of Kendall Kerlix, for $21 shipped. Around here, I usually pay $3 per roll of Kerlix.

Just look for sellers with good ratings and comments; I use to be iffy of ebay, but have had multiple sucessful purchases since I signed up.
Watch out for counterfeit CATs.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Where to Buy Medical Products: The Definitive Thread

Post by Tperkins » Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 am

Jorian wrote:
Tperkins wrote:I know it's not a store per-se, but due to a few below described purchases I really think ebay is underrated for medical supplies. Finding a good seller is key though.

Over the last week I bought the following

- Lot of 2 Hem-Con 4x4 bandages for $16 + $2.99 ship. From Chinook Med a single HemCon 4x4 retails for over $150

-North American Rescue CAT (Combat Application TQ) for $10.51, retails at apprx $35 plus shipping

-15 Rolls of Kendall Kerlix, for $21 shipped. Around here, I usually pay $3 per roll of Kerlix.

Just look for sellers with good ratings and comments; I use to be iffy of ebay, but have had multiple sucessful purchases since I signed up.
Watch out for counterfeit CATs.
Yeah, they are out there. I trust the buyer as I have purchased much in the past from him. Plus, it's obviously their red-tip technology product.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sun May 22, 2011 10:14 am

What:
Kendall Kerlix Large Sterile 8-Ply Gauze Bandage 4.5" x 3.1 yards priced at $1.45; this offer appears a little easier to tailor compared to larger bulk deals

Savings:
$2.00-$3.00 per bandage (shipping is a flate rate of $6.50 or free with orders of $50.00 or more; if you order 12, average cost is $2.00/bandage delivered)

Where:
http://www.metromedicalonline.com/kendall6716.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

Nailz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by Nailz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:56 am

I see plenty of guys with wound closure kits but nothing for local anesthetics. We can't all be Rambo suturing up wounds without nerve block. This may be tricky but does anyone know where they trust to get a hold of such things? I've seen numerous online Rx sites that get stuff from India, Canada and other places where you can get it as well as Antibiotics and such without a prescription but I'm hesitant to order. I understand the grey of this question. Many people here get all this Tacticool medical stuff without getting the training and very important certifications to use them without major recourse. I am a nurse and am always aware of my scope of practice. That said, these things are intended for personal family use as a last resort in austere environments so I'll tank my chances to be prepared for those situations...theoretically that is.

For those that do not wish to post it openly are more than welcome to PM me any information they deem educational/helpful.

Thoughts?
Murph wrote: Yup, you seaman always get the shaft.

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 am

Nailz wrote:I see plenty of guys with wound closure kits but nothing for local anesthetics. We can't all be Rambo suturing up wounds without nerve block. This may be tricky but does anyone know where they trust to get a hold of such things? I've seen numerous online Rx sites that get stuff from India, Canada and other places where you can get it as well as Antibiotics and such without a prescription but I'm hesitant to order. I understand the grey of this question. Many people here get all this Tacticool medical stuff without getting the training and very important certifications to use them without major recourse. I am a nurse and am always aware of my scope of practice. That said, these things are intended for personal family use as a last resort in austere environments so I'll tank my chances to be prepared for those situations...theoretically that is.

For those that do not wish to post it openly are more than welcome to PM me any information they deem educational/helpful.

Thoughts?
No sources, but a thought or two.

Pain is good, sometimes. At least it keeps us from casually trying stuff on ourselves or each other, like suturing shaving cuts. If a treatment is not worth putting up with whatever pain it might involve then it's not worth attempting, generally speaking. An injury that really wants sutures is usually more painful than the suturing.

But - For topical anesthetics, there are lots of OTC lidocaine/benzocaine products out there - they might provide some relief in some cases. Most responders I know also carry painkillers; something like vicodan or percoset, though they won't hand it out to strangers no matter what the situation.

Nailz

Post by Nailz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for the post and the thoughts. I agree that suturing sans local can be the lesser of two evils but as a father of two and husband I'd like to explore all of my plausible options.

mob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Brainsssssss

Post by mob » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 am

hey i just tried the chinook ZOMBIE code and it said it was an invalid code

ferretrodeo

Post by ferretrodeo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Nailz wrote:Thanks for the post and the thoughts. I agree that suturing sans local can be the lesser of two evils but as a father of two and husband I'd like to explore all of my plausible options.

I work as a nurse in labor and delivery and I get a bunch of stuff from work. When a Dr uses lidocaine to suture a patient up they will throw any unused stuff away. I have seen them use 10cc's out of a 50cc vial. I try and grab anything that is opened but not used. I usually get a couple of different sutures each shift. The outer plastic wrapper is missing but the foil inner wrapper is intact. They cant be re-stocked so they get tossed into the sharps container so instead of doing that I take them home. Heck, I end up with stuff from the OR at least a couple of times a week because a c-section either got cancelled or moved. Talk about getting a bunch of stuff. Dermabond, laps, gloves, dermaprep, etc.
That which does not kill us makes us stronger, that which does kill us makes us dinner.

NuggetHoarder

Post by NuggetHoarder » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 am

Last edited by NuggetHoarder on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:31 pm

You could always check the travel size section of your pharmacy. Mine sells little TSA bottles to fill with your own toiletries.

J-Bean Sammitch

Post by J-Bean Sammitch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 am

Sawlt wrote:I've been bugging Michael over at http://www.chinookmed.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and their marketing dept. agreed to set up another ZS'er discount code through July. I'll be posting this in the Bug Out Gear forum "deals" sticky, as well.

(repost from email)

"I wanted to let you know that Chinook Medical Gear is now offering a 10% discount on every purchase of $25 or more for all Zombie Squad Forum Members through the month of July. Just enter the coupon code ZOMBIE to receive your discount. Please pass this along to all your fellow forum members and let me know if you have questions or if I can help with anything else.
Sawlt
mob wrote:hey i just tried the chinook ZOMBIE code and it said it was an invalid code
Just tried as well. Has anyone else had this problem with the Chinook coupon code not working? I've tried looking for any new code since Sawlt's posting but did not see one.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:11 pm

I just called, having seen the TV commercial, about the Open Aire oxygen concentrator- the portable unit runs $4,000.00 new, so it's not something I'm gonna be buying, but I found out that the home unit (runs on 110VAC, delivers 1-5 LPM@93%) is available right now as a reconditioned, warranteed unit for $200.00. PDF is at http://www.open-aire.com/brochures/Open ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and the home unit is the blue one. If you have elderly family members you're prepping for, something like this could be a good idea.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

mob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Brainsssssss

Post by mob » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 am

J-Bean Sammitch wrote:
Sawlt wrote:I've been bugging Michael over at http://www.chinookmed.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and their marketing dept. agreed to set up another ZS'er discount code through July. I'll be posting this in the Bug Out Gear forum "deals" sticky, as well.

(repost from email)

"I wanted to let you know that Chinook Medical Gear is now offering a 10% discount on every purchase of $25 or more for all Zombie Squad Forum Members through the month of July. Just enter the coupon code ZOMBIE to receive your discount. Please pass this along to all your fellow forum members and let me know if you have questions or if I can help with anything else.
Sawlt
mob wrote:hey i just tried the chinook ZOMBIE code and it said it was an invalid code
Just tried as well. Has anyone else had this problem with the Chinook coupon code not working? I've tried looking for any new code since Sawlt's posting but did not see one.
i called heather today and talked to her about the code, apparently within a 3 month span there was not enough business associated with the Zombie code so they pulled the code. i did submit my list to see if there was any kits similar to what i needed to see if she could save a few bucks for me but im waiting to hear back from her.

Azraeleternity
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (haven't seen many)

Post by Azraeleternity » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Does anyone know if we have any current % off promotions running with any sites? I finally got the OK from the fiancee to order FAK items (Kerlix, gauze pads, and other minor trauma stuff) from online since it will be much cheaper than in-store equivalents.
ZSC:015 North-California/Bay Area
Jeriah wrote:"I'm fucking perfect. I'm a god among men. I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun."
Y.T. wrote:my first year at Burning Man I brought Twinkies.
those things were like fucking gold.
I could've bartered for a frickin car with Twinkies.

J-Bean Sammitch

Post by J-Bean Sammitch » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Jorian wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
nomadic1 wrote:
Tperkins wrote:Do we still get discounts with Rescue Essentials or with Chinook Med?
I believe with Rescue Essentials it is still the 8% you enter code " zomsq " to get the discount . Not sure with Chinook do not order from them as much as I used to, couple of bad experiences... With Rescue Essentials (Jorian) I always get great service, etc...
BTW, I used the zomsq discount code a couple months ago and it worked, but I just put in another order and it doesn't any more. Doesn't keep me from ordering from them, they've got good prices as it is and I've been pleased with service from them.

The current code is "UNDEAD"

Apology to any ZSers who didn't see the note...

And THANKS to all - for the orders of course, but even more for good direction, gear reviews and field tests. Much appreciated.
mob wrote: i called heather today and talked to her about the code, apparently within a 3 month span there was not enough business associated with the Zombie code so they pulled the code. i did submit my list to see if there was any kits similar to what i needed to see if she could save a few bucks for me but im waiting to hear back from her.

Here's the latest discount code I was able to find. Apparently Chinook has discontinued their code with ZS for "lack of use"?

turnergeorge7

Post by turnergeorge7 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:42 am

You can find most of this stuff at any basic medical supplies store. Just be careful and make sure you know how to use it!

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:54 pm

I really hate my first post in here to be about this, but it would seem some of the pics in the OP got misdirected.... :oops:

BTW, where DOES one buy Kerlix, and what gun DID Al Pacino use in "Heat"? :lol:
"Victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival." - Winston Churchill

ShrekAIC
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by ShrekAIC » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks Gunny! Putting my FAK together now

WhiskeyTango

Post by WhiskeyTango » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:10 am

Anyone know where to get cheap tracheal tubes?
US Army- 68W10
A tout le monde
A tout meis amis
Je vous amie Je dois partir- These are the last words i'll ever speak, and they'll set me free.

sdkmcqueen
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, DOTD (Original and 2004), Night of the living dead, etc....etc...

Post by sdkmcqueen » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:25 pm

So since when has Sodium Chloride become a prescription drug? According to Chinook medical you have to get permission from your head physician to be able to buy Saline. Does anyone know if this is just Chinook medical covering all its bases or is it common practice now?
"Life is like an ambush, you wait for just the right time to set off the claymores, then you machine gun the corpses!"

gunfreak
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland, walking dead

Post by gunfreak » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 pm

I am fortunate enough to work at a medical facility and take all the expired supplies I need.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Nailz

Post by Nailz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:39 am

gunfreak wrote:I am fortunate enough to work at a medical facility and take all the expired supplies I need.
That was incredibly helpful, thank you for your contribution on where to get medical supplies at a good rate. :roll:

scorpionsak47
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything romero made ,dawn of the dead 2004, hell any zombie movie for that matter

Post by scorpionsak47 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Tagged do I can find this again thx gunnyq

Azraeleternity
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (haven't seen many)

Post by Azraeleternity » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:55 pm

I wonder if we specify to the providers a couple specific months a year to offer codes, that they would be willing to post them again.

i.e. ZS saves January, May, and September as the months which ZS members buy their supplies, making the discounts worth offering to us.
ZSC:015 North-California/Bay Area
Jeriah wrote:"I'm fucking perfect. I'm a god among men. I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun."
Y.T. wrote:my first year at Burning Man I brought Twinkies.
those things were like fucking gold.
I could've bartered for a frickin car with Twinkies.

Return to “First Aid”