Veritas's IFAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Veritas

Veritas's IFAK

Post by Veritas » Thu May 22, 2008 3:29 pm

I was going to include this in the GHB post, but I decided I wanted it to have it's own thread. I carry this attached to my GHB most of the time, but it also goes on my leg for hikes and such.

The pouch is a StatPack brand traverse leg pouch from Chinook:

The pouch opened, notice the "flaps" on the inside to keep the contents from spilling out when you open it up:

In the front pocket I have some antiseptic wipes; band aids; antibiotic; one sunscreen application; alcohol preps; butterfly closings; and disposable thermometer:

In the main pouch I have nitrile gloves; small Kerlix roll; tape; ETD; trauma shears; disposable scalpel; sutures; Z-pack gauze; 1 Watergel 4x4 Burn dressing; 1 packet ORS; topical antibiotic packet; antibiotic/analgesic burn ointment; 1 stick lip balm; 2 sterile saline; 2 gauze 4x4s; 1 extra large band aid; alcohol preps; 3 band aids; 2 Chloroprep ampules; and one allergy med

This all stuffs pretty tightly into the pouch. Once again, I am sure I missed something, so please let me know what you think.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Ovationman

Re: Veritas's IFAK

Post by Ovationman » Thu May 22, 2008 3:39 pm

I would take some of the boo-boo stuff out and replace it with more Trauma supplies. The reason being that if it is minor enough to need a band-aid it can wait untill you open your big kit when you stop. The dropleg should I think be for stuff that you will need NOW in the event of Trauma. Overall it is a great kit and looks like it will serve you well.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 pm

What more trauma supplies would you suggest? Remember, this is just for one person. I was a little concerned about the amount of small items, I might ditch some of those, we will see.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Thu May 22, 2008 6:16 pm

I would say you need a TQ (MAT SOF CAT ect.) , a Chest seal or two (ACS,BCS). A packet of hemostatic agent(CELOX Quikclot,WoundStat). Maybe another Z pak. This will ensure that you have everything you need to help yourself at hand. I do really like the container it looks like it will work well. Thanks

Return to “First Aid”