Are benadryl tablets obsolete?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Are benadryl tablets obsolete?

Post by SweetTea » Wed May 21, 2008 9:57 am

I'm sure most of you are aware that benadryl now makes dissolving strips that can be placed on your tongue. They deliver the exact same payload in a much more convenient package. So, should any of us keep benadryl in the old school pill form in our FAKs? I'm totally willing to carry both if the redundancy is worth it, but are there any points on which the tablets are better?
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: Are benadryl tablets obsolete?

Post by Jamie » Wed May 21, 2008 10:11 am

I have both in my FAK...I bet that repeated freeze/thaw cycles, and/or humidity may stick all of strips together, unless you get each one individually packaged (I got some samples individually packaged, but also bought some that come 10 to a pack)...I've kept, and used, benadryl tablets that were years old without any problem...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 am

I only carry pills; if anyone needs faster relief than a pill can give I will be clalling EMS. On a slightly difrent topic, can you grind up/dissolve benadryl pills/strips and use them as a topical anesthetic?

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 am

I carry the generic benadryl capsules. 25mg, 100ct. One bottle is in my IFAK, the other is part of my allergy kit I keep in my GHB.
50mg tends to knock my ass out in about half an hour. 25mg just makes me tired.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 am

I agree with nfa on this. The strips are convenient, but totally useless if it gets humid. They're just like those breath mint strips, they all get stuck together, and eventually gooey.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

dedpool

Post by dedpool » Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am

If they are like those mint breath strips I wont be buying them. Mine melt together every summer
Them ain't crack whores, them bitches is crack whore zombies!!

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Wed May 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Since I'm in South Alabama, we always have to take humidity into account.

tilt

Post by tilt » Wed May 21, 2008 7:36 pm

The tablets offer time release whereas the strips are more of a quick absorption thing.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

SweetTea

Post by SweetTea » Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 pm

I didn't know that they even came all in one canister like the listerine strips, that's a dumb idea. Mine come in individual airtight packets that are cut open to reveal one sheet. I wouldn't even consider them if they were that vulnurable to humidity.

Tilt, I see your point. However, I think you'll agree that treating sudden allergic reactions is more important than staving off hay fever. That's not to say that chronic allergies aren't a huge issue for a lot of people (including me sometimes) and that allergies could really mess you up if you had to hoof it through the wilderness or had to sleep in abandoned buildings that have a bunch of mold spores. Thank you for bringing that up, I hadn't thought of the time release factor. I will now be packing both in my big FAK and just the strips in my small FAK.
amd2800barton wrote:

tilt

Post by tilt » Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 am

I used to carry the liquid children's benadryl (before the strips came out) for any presentation that required quick results. The capsules work well when broken open and administered SL. The tablets would have to be crushed and a liquid added to alter the buffer to get them to absorb quickly.

When I was on active duty, some of my students would show up for the course with the strips to relieve "allergies"... not the correct use... on more than one occasion, that person found themselves mad-as-a-hatter-and-red-as-a-beet. Just because the package says quick acting doesn't mean the drug is quick metabolising...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Jetta

Post by Jetta » Thu May 22, 2008 4:59 pm

My fiancée had a bad allergy attack last week and I ran out and got the strips. They were individually packed and you need scissors to open it (pretty dumb for something made to carry with you in a pocket). She followed the vague directions and placed one on her tongue, her tongue went numb, then her cheek, then feeling came back to her tongue but her other cheek went numb. It was very strange and not very comfortable for her. It did help, but the side affects were not something she will put up with again, so its back to the pills for this household.

SweetTea

Post by SweetTea » Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 pm

It really bothered her that much? I tried one both to stave off allergies and to compare it to regular benadryl, and found it to be just a bit of a tingle. Having to use scissors is dumb, I agree. I would buy a case of them if they included a notch to rip open. Anyway, I just found it to be some tingly numbness in the roof of my mouth and a little bit of tinglyness in my tongue and throat. However, I thought it was way more than worth it to have the knowledge that the drug was in my system that much faster as opposed to having to be absorbed through my GI tract.
amd2800barton wrote:

Scott Skawronska
Favorite Zombie Movies: That one with that guy, and he does that thing, and then they all get eaten! Which one was that?

Post by Scott Skawronska » Fri May 23, 2008 1:43 am

can you grind up/dissolve benadryl pills/strips and use them as a topical anesthetic
No. Diphenhydramine is not an anesthetic; It is an antihistamine. It needs to work systemically (inside the whole body), not locally (on one location).

S
"It burns me up when elitists try to force us into a situation where we must either beg for a totalitarian police state or submit to the desires of the antisocial."

Zombies? Yeah, they're good eatin', but ya gotta have hot sauce, and remember, they regenerate, so if you eat enough, you'll never be hungry again!

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri May 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Ok I thought I had read it somewhere but Your the Pro so I guess I did not.

Jetta

Post by Jetta » Sun May 25, 2008 9:59 pm

SweetTea wrote:It really bothered her that much? I tried one both to stave off allergies and to compare it to regular benadryl, and found it to be just a bit of a tingle. Having to use scissors is dumb, I agree. I would buy a case of them if they included a notch to rip open. Anyway, I just found it to be some tingly numbness in the roof of my mouth and a little bit of tinglyness in my tongue and throat. However, I thought it was way more than worth it to have the knowledge that the drug was in my system that much faster as opposed to having to be absorbed through my GI tract.
I would imagine she just had a far more severe reaction than most, which is about norm for her, She is just a delicate flower :lol: For a life threatening reaction she says they are fine, but not worth it for sneezing. So they are in the first aid kit, but not the pantry.

jim96sc2

Post by jim96sc2 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Scott Skawronska wrote:
can you grind up/dissolve benadryl pills/strips and use them as a topical anesthetic
No. Diphenhydramine is not an anesthetic; It is an antihistamine. It needs to work systemically (inside the whole body), not locally (on one location).

S
Anesthetic, no.. but you can get benadryl creams/ointments for topical allergic reactions.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 pm

tilt wrote:I used to carry the liquid children's benadryl (before the strips came out) for any presentation that required quick results.

I also carry this for any "fast-acting" required applications. They actually come individually packaged in pre-measured and prepackaged doses. The pharmacist I spoke with, said that for an adult having a severe allergic reaction, to administer a second dose if needed (since it is for "children" after all)
I also carry the pills in my car/truck FAK, just in case.
The strips I leave in the Trauma FAK, either at home, or on larger campouts, so as to keep them (and other meds) as temperature stabile as possible.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

JägerZ

Post by JägerZ » Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 pm

I have the strips in my FAK, they are individually packaged but they're rather difficult to open with your fingers. I have been thinking that adding some tabs to the FAK would be a good idea.
"Running isn't a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails!" - E. Bassett
"My mommy always said there were no monsters, no real ones, but there are."

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:01 am

I have not tried them but would give it a shot. But I am more likely to stick with what I know the best.
FlatlinesUp wrote:I got worms from Apollo. :shock:
Jeriah wrote:.....up close this thing is TERRIFYING.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Diphenhydramine also has local anesthetic properties, and has been used for patients allergic to common local anesthetics like lidocaine.[5] AH ha !

sharpenu

Post by sharpenu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Actually, for local pain relief, they now sell sunburn creams that have lidocaine in them. Try that for a local.

Also, one of the best combo's for allergic reaction is tagamet and benedryl. If you are worried about a severe reaction, get your Doctor to write you a prescription for an Epi pen (or Epi pen Jr for children)

Also, I keep a primatine mist in my bag for allergic reactions. The primary ingredient in there is epinephrine, the same ingredient as in the Epi pen.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:53 pm

nfa wrote:I have both in my FAK...I bet that repeated freeze/thaw cycles, and/or humidity may stick all of strips together
that has been the problem I've had with all those strip things. the listerine ones melted into a solid block of goo. any moisture gunks them together as well. which would make accurate dosing difficult for any kind of medication.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:56 pm

tilt wrote: The capsules work well when broken open and administered SL. .
wow, great idea. I was wondering about that.
tilt wrote:that person found themselves mad-as-a-hatter-and-red-as-a-beet. Just because the package says quick acting doesn't mean the drug is quick metabolising...
another good point. quick acting isn't needed for general allergy discomfort. as I understand it quick acting is more for serious allergy issues resulting from a sting, bite, or food.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Return to “First Aid”