So I got the gout

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

elricfate

So I got the gout

Post by elricfate » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 am

And it got me thinking. The case of gout I have is pretty localized to the outside of my big toe, which is apparently where it starts for 98% of the population who contract it.

Other than keeping a ton of ibuprofen on hand as an anti-inflammatory, what else can I keep packed for treatment?

As I've been told, this will never go away. I know that there's foods to avoid, anything with citric acid in large amounts, red meat, beer, etc.. But I'm not going to change my diet that much because, to be honest, I'm young, and I am getting more and more exercise, which will increase my body's overall health and my ability to process uric acid.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: So I got the gout

Post by Czechnology » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 am

elricfate wrote:And it got me thinking. The case of gout I have is pretty localized to the outside of my big toe, which is apparently where it starts for 98% of the population who contract it.

Other than keeping a ton of ibuprofen on hand as an anti-inflammatory, what else can I keep packed for treatment?

As I've been told, this will never go away. I know that there's foods to avoid, anything with citric acid in large amounts, red meat, beer, etc.. But I'm not going to change my diet that much because, to be honest, I'm young, and I am getting more and more exercise, which will increase my body's overall health and my ability to process uric acid.
Learn to love cherries, if you don't already. They contain an enzyme that breaks down Uric acid. Other dark berries (dark color is a sign of flavonoids- the enzyme in question) like blue/hawthorn berries work too.

*Edit:
Gout sufferers should try to incorporate one-half pound of fresh cherries (weighed with pits) into their daily diet. In addition to berries, extracts of bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus), grape seed (Vitis vinifera) or pine bark (Pinus maritima) are rich sources of anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins.
Grapeseed extract is probably the most convenient way to get the flavonoid benefits. Just buy a bottle and squirt it (comes w/ an eyedropper) into water/juice.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Hanuman110

Post by Hanuman110 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:08 am

As already mentioned watching your diet is the biggest factor. Diet, exercise, and general healthy living habits should control it.

Also, be aware that to much uric acid build-up can also lead to kidney stones. A buddy of mine gets gout and just from what I've seen from his problems with it, I can tell you to be as proactive as possible in preventing future flareups.

Good luck.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:10 am

I've heard Garlic is good for counteracting it... But I wonder, is that just hearsay?
ZombieSquad Reservist

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 am

elricfate wrote:I've heard Garlic is good for counteracting it... But I wonder, is that just hearsay?
I lived with a guy who had it, and he swore by cherries. Never heard of garlic.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:30 am

Well garlic is in genrall good for you so why not.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:13 am

Yeah, just get the unscented garlic if you plan on taking it as a supplement. Otherwise you'll smell like a mix of ass juice and oblivion. Trust me, it's not pretty.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:16 am

Molon labe wrote:Yeah, just get the unscented garlic if you plan on taking it as a supplement. Otherwise you'll smell like a mix of ass juice and oblivion. Trust me, it's not pretty.
I have attacks from time to time, boy, it hurts :( Other foods to keep away from are offal and shell fish/prawns.

Drink plenty of fluids also, and you can take Allopurinol, this helps stop attacks starting DO NOT start a course of this if an attack has already begun.
Rik
South Wales
UK

maetsack

Post by maetsack » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:21 am

Have you discussed treatment with your doctor? I was diagnosed with gout a long time ago, took a course of medication, and have never had a problem since? That has been 15 years.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 am

I'm going to go see her this morning, in fact.

Hopefully she can give me something other than an anti-inflammatory and a pain med. They seem to be things I use to live with it, rather than get it gone. As it is, this is going on four days of pain in my foot. I'm not entirely sure that is normal... ...
ZombieSquad Reservist

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:46 am

elricfate wrote:I'm going to go see her this morning, in fact.

Hopefully she can give me something other than an anti-inflammatory and a pain med. They seem to be things I use to live with it, rather than get it gone. As it is, this is going on four days of pain in my foot. I'm not entirely sure that is normal... ...
Welcome to the Pharmaceutical Company's Dream World. Where people treat symptoms with drugs, and never the source of the problem, so they can take drugs every day, forever!

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Well between the ER Doc and my Regular Doc, I think I got the hookup.

I was diagnosed with Gout by the ER Doc without him running bloodtests, so my Regular Doc is doing so. She says it has all the symptoms, but she wants to make sure. So I'll find out the blood test results monday.

However, I was prescribed:

Allopurinol 300mg 30 tabs x3 refills to bring down the uric acid(Regular Doc)
Indomethacin 50mg 25 tabs x0 refills as an anti-inflammatory(ER Doc)
Lortab 5/500mg 15 tabs x0 refills for pain (ER Doc)
Percocet 5/325mg 180 tabs x0 refills for pain(Regular Doc)

So I think my FAK is going to end up with some percocets in it since I don't see how I can chew 180 percocets in a month, let alone in the 15 days she thinks I'm going to be using them.
ZombieSquad Reservist

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:00 pm

You really did get the right doctors for pain meds hope they work for you. Well the Hydrocodone is what I would put in my FAK(in fact I have) its very good for pain and as long as you dont take then more than you should it shouldent have many side effects. * note I am not a doctor

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:06 pm

DON'T take the Allopurinol if you have gout now, it can make it worse, start the course when this attack is over. My doctor gave Allopurinol for my fist attack, when I went to get the meds the Chemist told me not to take it until the attack was over and muttered on about "bloody doctors,,,,,bla bla bla"
Rik
South Wales
UK

Wasz
Location: 40min outside Pittsburgh, PA the zombie capitol of the world.

Post by Wasz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:14 am

My Dad takes black cherry pills from GNC and swears by them for his gout.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:26 am

elricfate wrote: So I think my FAK is going to end up with some percocets in it since I don't see how I can chew 180 percocets in a month, let alone in the 15 days she thinks I'm going to be using them.
You know there's a "Pay it Forward" thread right? :lol:

*Edit: yes I'm joking, shut up.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:57 am

Czechnology wrote: You know there's a "Pay it Forward" thread right? :lol:

*Edit: yes I'm joking, shut up.
Hah.

Actually, the gear I would use in the "Pay it Forward" thread, I've already paid forward. Looks like it's gonna be awhile before I have extra gear to give out again. :-D

Sucks being poor.
ZombieSquad Reservist

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:30 am

elricfate wrote:So I think my FAK is going to end up with some percocets in it since I don't see how I can chew 180 percocets in a month, let alone in the 15 days she thinks I'm going to be using them.

Percocet in the FAK FTMFW!!

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 am

180 percocets??? Jeebus, your doc must like you.
"Four things greater than all things are,—
Women and Horses and Power and War."
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:55 am

GanaEMT wrote:180 percocets??? Jeebus, your doc must like you.
My first thought too. I've never had good luck with Opiate narcotics either. They just don't effect me like they effect others. I think the thing was she saw how much swelling I had, and how much pain I was having.

My doc isn't a pill pusher, but man did she load me up.
ZombieSquad Reservist

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:03 am

Try not to take them on an empty stomach. When I was last on them for my burned hand, I took two at one point after not eating for most of the day and nothing happened. I ate about an hour or two later and then that opiate fuzziness hit me like a ton of bricks.
"Four things greater than all things are,—
Women and Horses and Power and War."
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 am

Also, and I mean this with all the CAPS inflection, DON"T TAKE THEM FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE DAYS.

I took them for like 2 weeks straight... guess what... did you see the South Park episode where we find out that Bono is just a huge piece of shit? Yeah, I gave birth to a fucking log from hell after not noticing that I hadn't had a BM in a few days. If only the doc said something... And TFB, the no pics or it didn't happen rule is NOT in effect on this one.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 am

ToddGray wrote:Also, and I mean this with all the CAPS inflection, DON"T TAKE THEM FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE DAYS.

I took them for like 2 weeks straight... guess what... did you see the South Park episode where we find out that Bono is just a huge piece of shit? Yeah, I gave birth to a fucking log from hell after not noticing that I hadn't had a BM in a few days. If only the doc said something... And TFB, the no pics or it didn't happen rule is NOT in effect on this one.
Yea, I noticed the other day that I hadn't gone regularly (for me, twice a day is running low, and three times is normal) ... and then, wow, it hurt.

And now I haven't done it in a day. So I figure in a day or so (the gout is finally clearing up and I can almost put weight on my foot), I'll be fine and can stop taking anything for pain. Though I'll continue taking the endo for a few days to make sure it doesn't get inflamed again, and the allopurinol, of course.
ZombieSquad Reservist

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:56 am

LOL so you know what I mean when I say, "to make a grown man cry, give him percocet for a week and then let him loose."

Return to “First Aid”