His 'n' Hers IFAK's

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GeneralDiscontent

His 'n' Hers IFAK's

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Hey all -

I've started putting together IFAK's for mine & my finacee's BOB's. I'm not going for a trauma bag here, just a good basic kit that will cover me for most situations that come up on camping trips, hikes, etc. Comments & suggestions are appreciated! The kits are basically identical, so I'll just be breaking down one of them here. I tried several different bags and didn't like any of them, so I ordered two "tactical medical rolls" from L.A. Police Gear's closeout section:

Here it is unrolled:

Here's the contents:

(I apologize that some of the photos are a bit blurry, I think the batteries in the camera are dying)

Outside pocket: Pen, notebook, MagLite Solitaire w/ extra battery, CPR mask, forceps, EMT shears.

Large inside pocket: 3 large sponges, 6"x36" SAM splint, tape.

1st pocket: Three pairs non-latex gloves.

Next pocket: Sunscreen, oral glucose drink.

Next pockets: Emergency poncho (I also have a USGI pocho & liner in my BOB), disposable emergency blanket (HeatSheets in my BOB), trauma dressing.

Next: Benadryl tabs, aspirin (dosage & expiration date written on baggie), Tylenol, 4 individual Neosporin packets, Pepto tablets, Prilosec, Emergen-C drink mix (thanks freebie thread! :lol:) Visine, 2 single use Blistex packets.

Next: 4 moist towelettes, 3 antispetic towelettes, 6 alcohol prep pads, 1 sting relief pad, 2 CortiCool packets, 2 single-use Spliter Outs, 2 packets burn ointment.

Next: 2 Ace bandages, 1 toe bandage, 2 pads moleskin, 2 small rolls gauze, 2 large(r) rolls gauze.

Next: Instant cold compress, 2 extra-large adhesive bandages, 2" & 3" gauze pads, 3 fingertip adhesive bandages, 6 medium adhesive bandages, 12 large adhesive bandages, 3 'spot' adhesive bandages, 5 small adhesive bandages, 5 knuckle adhesive bandages (I need these A LOT ). :)

Last pocket: Insect repellent, disposable razor, small mirror, tweezers, Vaseline, roll of wide athletic tape, roll of narrow athletic tape.

So, waddaya think, guys?
Last edited by GeneralDiscontent on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Good start but i think you need more KErlix, tape/ducttape/ace wraps.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:54 pm

IMHO, for what you described it as being used for in the OP, that is awesome. Damn near perfect and I give you two big thumbs up...since that's all I have. Looks great man. Shiner and I originally used a toiletry roll for a FAK that we kept in the car. When we packed stuff in the car we could hang it on the clothing hook that hangs over the rear passenger doors.
ImageImage

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:37 pm

ovationman wrote:Good start but i think you need more KErlix, tape/ducttape/ace wraps.
Nothing says "I love you" more than duct tape. :wink:

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Honey come here..... OW WHAAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GET THAT OFF ME !

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:08 pm

ovationman wrote:Honey come here..... OW WHAAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GET THAT OFF ME !
MEEEEEDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!!!!

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:14 pm

stays back while Doc Simon busts in sees nothing whrong (no limbs are missing ) then beats Beth Death to a bloody pulp. (he now has something to do) :lol:

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:48 pm

ovationman wrote:Good start but i think you need more KErlix, tape/ducttape/ace wraps.
Keep in mind that there are two of 'em, so everything you see here will be x2. And these are independent of the home kit, and the small kits in each car. The plan is to stay together, but I wanted each BOB to have an independent IFAK in case we would have to split up or aren't together when TSHTF.

...and if I want any more gauze or tape in there, I'm gonna have to sneak it in - I told my fiancee that the most common recommendations on the First Aid forum were "more Kerlix" and "more tape", and her reply was "What do these people think is gonna happen that they'll need that much gauze and tape?!?" (and she's an EMT...)
TheFreakinBear wrote:IMHO, for what you described it as being used for in the OP, that is awesome. Damn near perfect and I give you two big thumbs up...since that's all I have. Looks great man.
Thanks TFB. I might try to sneak in more trauma-oriented stuff in the future, but 1.) QuikClot/chest seals/etc are friggin' expensive, and 2.) that kind of stuff freaks out my SO a little bit...

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Yea well I guess I have been listning to our Combat medic to much.
:wink: but really from personal exp you go through Kerlix fast as well as tape.

VVR41TH
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend

Re:

Post by VVR41TH » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 am

Ovationman wrote:Yea well I guess I have been listning to our Combat medic to much.
:wink: but really from personal exp you go through Kerlix fast as well as tape.
If you go through kerlix fast, I worry. Tape's another story.

As for the kit, since you specifically mentioned camping/hiking in addition to a BOB use, I'd say moleskin/other blister care. Jury-rigging something with folded-over gauze and duct tape really isn't fun.

Also, I'm looking into getting one of those rolls myself. Do you know the dimensions of the outer, inner small and inner large pockets, by any chance? I couldn't find them listed on any of the sites that sell the rolls (at least the CC version; didn't check on the smaller Blackhawk one).

Return to “First Aid”