The Throwdown Thread

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 am

Does it help if our FAK has cartridge loops on it? Because all of my FAK's are pretty small, so no room in them for a pistol. :oops:

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:56 am

It begs the questions why you need a gun in your FAK.... well i guess there are always those zombies only real treatment option :D

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:37 pm

ovationman wrote:It begs the questions why you need a gun in your FAK....
Tactical medicine- 1st treatment is return fire and gain fire superiority. If you cant even get past step one how do you get to airway or circulation or anything else?

Also, is it time to vote me into victory yet?
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:41 pm

ovationman wrote:It begs the questions why you need a gun in your FAK.... well i guess there are always those zombies only real treatment option :D
Ow well, they need SOMETHING to not be ashamed of, unlike their FAK's... :wink:

Vote's on the 31st, right?

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:44 pm

JIM wrote:Ow well, they need SOMETHING to not be ashamed of, unlike their FAK's... :wink:
Big words for a male nurse.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Doc Simon wrote:Tactical medicine- 1st treatment is return fire and gain fire superiority. If you cant even get past step one how do you get to airway or circulation or anything else?
99% of the time when a first aid kit is needed in the US, this won't be a concern. :)

Where do I vote?
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

DocOutlands

Post by DocOutlands » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Kyle just lost and proved he's either never had a first-aid class or else slept through it. STEP ONE is "Secure the scene." How can you complete step one if you don't have the right TOOLS?? Not sure I want Kyle working on me - he might have slept thru something *else* too!

Y'all just hang tight, the winner is on the way.
Don't prep to outlast "the troubles," prep to NOT NOTICE "the troubles"!
tireiron wrote:sometimes a man just needs a rifle to do rifle things in a rifle way

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:55 pm

kyle wrote:
Doc Simon wrote:Tactical medicine- 1st treatment is return fire and gain fire superiority. If you cant even get past step one how do you get to airway or circulation or anything else?
99% of the time when a first aid kit is needed in the US, this won't be a concern. :)

Where do I vote?
99.9999% of the time you dont need a gun on you, a lot of people here carry. 99% of american history the shit was not hitting the fan, but everyone on here is preparing for just that. This forum is made up of people that dont want to be ready for the 99% they want to be ready for the 100%.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:09 pm

DocOutlands wrote:Kyle just lost and proved he's either never had a first-aid class or else slept through it. STEP ONE is "Secure the scene." How can you complete step one if you don't have the right TOOLS?? Not sure I want Kyle working on me - he might have slept thru something *else* too!
Doc Simon wrote:
kyle wrote:

Where do I vote?
99.9999% of the time you dont need a gun on you, a lot of people here carry. 99% of american history the shit was not hitting the fan, but everyone on here is preparing for just that. This forum is made up of people that dont want to be ready for the 99% they want to be ready for the 100%.
Ouch. Thanks for explaining this forum to me, jerk faces. :)

Yes yes... I know the first priority is to assess and secure the area and prevent any one else (especially me) from getting hurt.

If a weapon is needed, that's what my CCW is for. I don't like having a weapon spread out in every bag or kit I own. That's just adding to the risk for one to get stolen and make it's way into the street.

That's just me and my situation though. Each to their own.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

DocOutlands

Post by DocOutlands » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

eh-heh. No no, you missed out on the modular part! You have your "trauma module," "tactical module," "ALS module," "Band-aids module," and so on. Apparently you carry your "tactical module" FAK all the time!

:P
tireiron wrote:sometimes a man just needs a rifle to do rifle things in a rifle way

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:47 pm

My guns bigger than your gun :wink:

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Hey, enough gun talk... now lets FAK off. I'll put mine up soon, though its certainly not the FAK that some of you have aquired.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:37 pm

TFB's AWESOME FAK BAG finally came, but apparently, he's having some trouble with his internet connection...but he sent me an email of his FAK (bragging I assume), before his connection went down...so I told him that I would post the picture for him...

"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:50 pm

kyle wrote:
DocOutlands wrote:Kyle just lost and proved he's either never had a first-aid class or else slept through it. STEP ONE is "Secure the scene." How can you complete step one if you don't have the right TOOLS?? Not sure I want Kyle working on me - he might have slept thru something *else* too!
Doc Simon wrote:
kyle wrote:

Where do I vote?
Ouch. Thanks for explaining this forum to me, jerk faces. :)

Yes yes... I know the first priority is to assess and secure the area and prevent any one else (especially me) from getting hurt.

If a weapon is needed, that's what my CCW is for. I don't like having a weapon spread out in every bag or kit I own. That's just adding to the risk for one to get stolen and make it's way into the street.

That's just me and my situation though. Each to their own.
It's clear you all miss the point. Fortunately you have someone smarter than you, such as me, to explain. You don't have a gun in your FAK to save lives or to prepare unforseen consequences. You need a gun in your FAK because it's badass.

-Erik

hailstoneMT

Post by hailstoneMT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:59 pm

nfa wrote:TFB's AWESOME FAK BAG finally came, but apparently, he's having some trouble with his internet connection...but he sent me an email of his FAK (bragging I assume), before his connection went down...so I told him that I would post the picture for him...

You forgot the suction unit.

Like Jim says, every good FAK has suction...

DocOutlands

Post by DocOutlands » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Win is here.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 am

FYI failure to remove FAK contents from their boxes is an insta-fail.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 am

Gunny wrote:FYI failure to remove FAK contents from their boxes is an insta-fail.
Haha, that's not a FAK DocO, that's a shopping trip. :P :wink:
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

DocOutlands

Post by DocOutlands » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:52 am

Gunny wrote:FYI failure to remove FAK contents from their boxes is an insta-fail.
Had I done that, my children would have ... decorated themselves. Then I would have posted pics of the FAK I *USED TO HAVE* (and the mummies I now had) and still failed. This way, I at least have a viable position to fail from.
:D

E

Post by E » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:49 pm

I agree, but I'm unsure of what to put them in instead
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:12 pm

DocOutlands wrote:
Had I done that, my children would have ... decorated themselves. Then I would have posted pics of the FAK I *USED TO HAVE* (and the mummies I now had) and still failed. This way, I at least have a viable position to fail from.
The fact that your kids run the house hold instead of cowering in fear when you are around means less points for you. Even if you delivered them.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Doc Simon wrote:
DocOutlands wrote:
The fact that your kids run the house hold instead of cowering in fear when you are around means less points for you. Even if you delivered them.
+1, the standing rule in my house is that if my son wants to play with my FAK, then he has to play with my knives first and pay for an all-access pass to the FAK...with blood :twisted:

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

DocOutlands

Post by DocOutlands » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Doc Simon wrote:The fact that your kids run the house hold instead of cowering in fear when you are around means less points for you. Even if you delivered them.
I've trained them too well - two pretend to cower in fear and thus draw my attention while the third sneaks off and does stuff. They rotate this duty regularly.
Last edited by DocOutlands on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DocOutlands

Post by DocOutlands » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:24 pm

nfa wrote:
+1, the standing rule in my house is that if my son wants to play with my FAK, then he has to play with my knives first and pay for an all-access pass to the FAK...with blood :twisted:
We tried that - only it was his own knife - ended up in the ER w/ his fingertip almost gone, getting 4 stitches. At least we know his knife *is* SHARP.

Return to “First Aid”