Pediatrics?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Pediatrics?

Post by Famine » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:27 am

Does anyone have some items that would be well served for a FAK, involving pediatrics, that could be listed here? Basically stuff that is smaller to help the little ones, in a time of emergency?

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Grin Reaper

Post by Grin Reaper » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:32 pm

Big topic - short answer.

Miniature Medicine (pediatrics to the rest of you) is very much like adult healthcare. Most any 1st aid supplies you have will work for kids, but may need to be trimmed down. Scissors and duct tape are your friends -- avoids duplicating your supplies on things too small to be useful to adults.

For infants, you'll need a bulb syringe (it looks like a rubber lightbulb) to suction to keep the nose clear if they're sick. The little ones are default nose-breathers; if they can't get enough air through the nose, they don't feed because they won't tie up the mouth for non-breathing purposes.

Common over-the-counter meds for kids' illnesses are typically liquids (Tylenol, Motrin, Dimetapp), but a couple of meds are now also available in the orally disintegrating strips (Benadryl), too.

Only invest in things you know how to use. The more detailed your training in medical care, the more specialized your equipment will become.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:13 pm

The pediatric meds that I use most often with my 5 year old are fun bandaids (with pics of scooby-doo and such on them)...I also have pediatric versions of the grown-up meds, the main difference being liquid form and fruity taste (kids don't do tablets)...

I worry more about pain and itching for kids then I do for myself (they get more distracted by it than I do, so it's a bigger deal), so I like sting-eze and benadryl spray and anesthetic spray/ointment and cough drops...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Don't forget the Goodbear :)

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:38 pm

+1 on the liquid paracetamol/acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Rather than carrying a bottle, you can get them in single-dose sachets (NOTE, for younger children the dose is often half a sachet not a whole one, so you may still need a measuring spoon).

Also, my 3-year-old son's a bit of a drama queen and is happier if he gets a dressing rather than a bandaid :roll: so I pack some extra eye dressings to use on grazed knees and elbows etc.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

thorian

Post by thorian » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 pm

I have some liquid meds and a OB kit that is the end of my pediatric supply.

And I think the wife took the bulb syringe out of the OB kit.

Something about needing it for CPR on a goat. Then again we don't know any pregnant women so a OB kit is not really that big of a deal at the moment. ( heck no one in town is pregnant )
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 pm

and make sure to pack one of...
...these as the alternative therapy for kids who refuse to sit quietly while daddy cleans the cut on their knee... :twisted:

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:33 pm

nfa wrote:The pediatric meds that I use most often with my 5 year old are fun bandaids (with pics of scooby-doo and such on them)...I also have pediatric versions of the grown-up meds, the main difference being liquid form and fruity taste (kids don't do tablets)...

I worry more about pain and itching for kids then I do for myself (they get more distracted by it than I do, so it's a bigger deal), so I like sting-eze and benadryl spray and anesthetic spray/ointment and cough drops...

nfa
+1 to the cutsie band-aids. I keep ones shaped like different colored crayons, but I'm man enough to admit that there have been hello kitty band-aids in my FAK.

Also, I would be more likely to bactine cuts on kids than I would adults, both because infection is more of a threat and because it will numb them to the pain.

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:43 pm

For more serious stuff, remember that desease proceces present differently in children, and kids will maintain and then suddenly crash.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

Return to “First Aid”