A stye in yer eye!

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ellie With An Axe

A stye in yer eye!

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Hello folks,

What's the treatment for a stye in the eye? I have one and it's pretty painful. It's in my left eye, on the bottom, close to the tear duct. It was there when I woke up yesterday and hurt like hell. It's day 2 now, and my eye is swollen, particularly the underside, but the stye looks a little smaller I think. I look like someone clocked me good.

I've wanted to pull the eyelash to help it drain, but I've heard this is bad and this is good, so I don't know if I should or not. Besides, that's freaking painful and I know I'll cry and when it comes to pulling eyelashes I'm a total wimp. I've had a warm washcloth on it and that eases the pain but at the same time it seems to make it more pointedly painful... I guess because the warm heat is drawing the infection to the surface? I've had triple A on it (actually, under it, since I don't want that stuff in my eye), and used a bit of external analgesic under it (benzocaine 5% phenol 1.35%) and that eases the itching/bruised feeling somewhat.

How do you treat this out of a regular first aid kit? Also does wearing glasses while you have a stye do anything to stress your eyes and the vessels and therefore worsen the infection? What about lancing these things if they get really bad, or dealing with them if they've burst?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:45 pm

I believe that time is the best treatment for styes, but I have also used hot compresses to help the crap get out, and have heard of people using moistened tea-bags (plain tea, not tricky stuff) bandaged in place overnight...

Good Luck!

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:56 pm

Use the biggest knife you have to try to pierce it and let it drain, but make sure you take some caffeine pills first to make sure your hands are steady. or just do the sane thing and use a hot compress, and make sure you was your eyes afterward.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Yeah, the hot compress is the way to go, I've done it a few times.

Just use hot wet cloths on your eye for 15 minutes at a time, and give it a gentle squeeze every once in a while to see if its ready to drain. when it does it will be gross and you should flush with saline.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Stop taking food from pregnant people. :D

Y2Kid

Post by Y2Kid » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeah, I've always put a hot (the hotter the better - just don't burn yourself) washcloth on to my eye when it gets one. It seems to help the pain a bit.

Like nfa said, time is probably the best cure.

Also, for the love of god, don't rub it. I know it sounds like common sense, but a lot of people I've seen with them don't seem to listen when I tell them.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:34 am

Old wives tale says that rubbing a silver ring on one will make it go away. Thats probably horseshit though. :lol:

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 am

BethDeath wrote:Stop taking food from pregnant people. :D
Eh?

Woke up today and under my eye is huge and purple and puffy, so I made a dr. appt. for tomorrow. The stye is smaller, though, I think. God I hate these things. I had a dream about a zombie attack at a diner, and I had a stye in the dream. Sigh.

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:36 pm

Ellie With An Axe wrote:
BethDeath wrote:Stop taking food from pregnant people. :D
Eh?

Woke up today and under my eye is huge and purple and puffy, so I made a dr. appt. for tomorrow. The stye is smaller, though, I think. God I hate these things. I had a dream about a zombie attack at a diner, and I had a stye in the dream. Sigh.
Old wives tale...if you take food from a pregnant woman you will get a stye in your eye.

Ack, purple and puffy doesn't sound fun.

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:23 pm

It's funny that nfa mentioned moistened tea bags. I had a cousin who tried that for a stye and was left a big brown circle over the eye. But she used SATURATED tea bags. She looked like Rocky at the end of every movie. Oh, and it didn't work.

Ellie, wearing glasses is fine, it's wearing contacts that would not be a good idea. The thing should resolve itself in about a week, but if it hurts so bad that you can't take it for a week, try the warm compresses 4 times a day. Make them as warm as you can stand. I've found that the best way to get a really warm compress is to moisten a washcloth and put it in a plastic bag in the microwave. Watch out for steam burns!
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Ricky Romero wrote:It's funny that nfa mentioned moistened tea bags. I had a cousin who tried that for a stye and was left a big brown circle over the eye.
That doesnt sound like a teabagging at all :(
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Ricky Romero

Post by Ricky Romero » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:58 pm

(insert funny but NSFW image here with caption)

You're doing it wrong.

:lol:

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:00 am

Okay... thanks for the help, those of you who were helpful... the rest of you go hijack someone else's thread.

Ricky Romero

Post by Ricky Romero » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 am

Sorry Ellie. :oops:

Biff

Re: A stye in yer eye!

Post by Biff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:34 pm

Last edited by Biff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Whats a Stye? Im scared and iv been having bad dreams about it.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Ricky Romero

Post by Ricky Romero » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:13 pm

It's a blockage of a sebaceous gland at the base of an eyelash due to a bacterial infection. Basically it's like a pimple on your lash line. Very painful, but temporary with no risk of lasting damage.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:30 pm

o great, just one more place i can get a pimple. wasnt that crap supposed to stop after highschool? :lol:
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm happy to report that the stye is mostly gone, along with the puffiness and coloration. Pretty much back to normal except for the occasional itching.

Believe it or not, dabbing a bit of Sting-Eze under the stye kind of helped fight the itching, and spreading a little triple antibiotic ointment under it has helped clear it up pretty quickly.

I went with the Sting-Eze because it wasn't irritating the skin. I tried Bactine first, for the lidocaine, but it irritated the skin where it'd been rubbed.

I did end up using tweezers and trying to tweeze the tiny little lash on top of the stye, but could never get it. I had a moment of desperation one night and briefly considered sterilizing a needle and cutting it... but then I couldn't figure out how I'd explain myself to the emergency room staff when I came in with a needle in my eye. :|

As usual, washing up is the key. Fingers are gross and you never know what they've been in!

Also, and I don't know how much this is related, but I've been battling sinusitis for the past few weeks, and finally started using a neti pot to clear them out, and the stye seemed to also clear up a lot faster after that.

And finally, the hot/warm wet compresses really did the trick, I think, in speeding up healing.

Sting-Eze is Benzocaine 5% and phenol 1.35%. The maker is http://pharmacalway.com/. Had it in my FAK. :)

thorian

Post by thorian » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 am

sorry I haven't seen this before but I keep a tube of stye cream in my medicine chest.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 am

Ricky Romero wrote:It's a blockage of a sebaceous gland at the base of an eyelash due to a bacterial infection. Basically it's like a pimple on your lash line. Very painful, but temporary with no risk of lasting damage.
It's not limited to the eyelash line, but rather can occur on the eyelid proper as well. These are often much more painful, and take a bit longer to go away.

I've read up on surgical treatments for the aforementioned and it's super simple. Just need some lidocane, sterile foreceps and tape.

Any volunteers?

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:52 am

thorian wrote:sorry I haven't seen this before but I keep a tube of stye cream in my medicine chest.
Never knew there was such a thing. What's it called?

thorian

Post by thorian » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:24 pm

I dont know it is a white tube that says stye on the side. I should say that my wife keeps a tube in the medicine chest. I am lucky enough to never have gotten one.

Never mind found it here http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... prod352753
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Return to “First Aid”