My FAK (with pictures! yahtzee!) *UPDATE PAGE THREE*

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:23 pm

Uh, if you hook me up with that pack I will lug that damn thing around everywhere I go (the small one is more practical...). You want me to jump into a lake? Done. Hell, I'll jump off my roof if that will tell you anything. I draw the line at cliffs and large gullys.
I should probably tell you I am a student right now, and while I do work in a hospital, I do not work as an EMT. So I would not be using it on the job, but hell, like I said, you hook it up and that pack will follow me on every damn hike I go on.
And my original intent was not to get you banned, it was to get a free bag. Or maybe a partially free bag. Remember from what I said in the original post, most of that stuff you see was free, I have no shame.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:40 am

Some of us paramedics might could try out that bag...........
"Four things greater than all things are,—
Women and Horses and Power and War."
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:24 pm

I will let it try and prove itself in combat. If it does well I will give it my approval, which a 'Doc Simon seal of approval' is pretty much all you need to sell at least a hundred thousand of them. Sounds like a good investment to me. (For you, that is)
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Tac Medic

Post by Tac Medic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm

:D What a buncha bullshitters....................Send it to the King of All EMS and I will ring that sucker out.............. 8)

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:02 pm

Tac Medic wrote::D What a buncha bullshitters....................Send it to the King of All EMS and I will ring that sucker out.............. 8)
How can you ring it out if he sends it to the King of all EMS? That guy will probably be using it.
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Tac Medic

Post by Tac Medic » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:41 am

naah, I use a Thomas most of the time and it BLOWS for $500.........Otherwise, Tactical Tailor Trauma Pack ( a gift from the owner) 8)

Tac Medic

Post by Tac Medic » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:44 am

www.Hawkepaks.com They have great customer service

Tac Medic

Post by Tac Medic » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:45 am

www.tacticaltailor.com The Intermediate Medical Pack looks like the ideal pack for me........I have never used the Stat-Paks

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:26 am

Thanks Tac Medic for the new sites to browse.

Screw the rest of you for trying to steal my free bag idea. And now Jorian is gone. I hate you guys.

Seriously though, I have been thinking about this a lot lately: I carry most of the medical crap, as you can see. This is in addition to the crap I normally carry. My current bag is a large ALICE pack with frame, and I have a Spec-Ops THE Pack on the way because nfa had to make that stupid post. Now, what I am wondering is this: is there a way to make my medical stuff play nicely with my pack that holds my extra clothes, sleeping bag, MREs, etc.? I was going to just get a duffle bag, like I posted earlier, but now everybody seems to be recommending backpack style bags, and I noticed a lot of you military guys all have backpacks that you store your goodies in. Discuss...
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

The Ron

Post by The Ron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:04 am

medic wrote:
GanaEMT wrote:
medic wrote:We got to play with Combi-Tubes in Illinois, and we learned about giving Glucagon injections.
But did you learn about Glucagon? That's infinitely more important.
We learned some basics about Glucagon. Nothing high-level of course, since it was EMT-B class. Were told that Glucagon interacts with liver-stored glycogen to release glucose, in order to give a short boost to blood sugar. No high order enzymatic discussion, etc, but that's for P school and RN/MD/DO school, not lowly Basics. ;)

Speaking of blood sugar...

Actual incident at my wife's practice:

Cute Doctor Wife: [paraphrased] This patient is having a diabetic incident! Quick go get some pop!

Medical Assistant: OK! <leaves, brings back pop>

Patient <sips pop, nothing happens>

Smart Doctor Wife: <sips pop suspiciously> This is DIET! Why did you bring DIET POP?!!!!

Medical Assistant: Well, the regular pop was flat.
Kathy in FL wrote:Makes me want to have a screaming hissy fit ... and boys, that is not a pretty sight.

"Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light." 1 John

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:41 am

The Ron wrote:
Smart Doctor Wife: <sips pop suspiciously> This is DIET! Why did you bring DIET POP?!!!!

Medical Assistant: Well, the regular pop was flat.
ZOMFG! Epic FAIL for that MA! Someone definitely needs some remedial education. {boot to the head}
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Hey I'm NOT gone... It's been a busy last ten days or so with a great cutting horse prospect and my own 7 yr old gelding. Too much fun for this seriousness.

Youse guys are tough. But I've been wrangling with the good folks at stat packs and with our own bean counters, and am on the verge of having a tac-black Golden Hour pack (the one I posted a pic of) to "give" away to someone here. If anyone wants to PM me in the meanwhile and extoll your virtues and the benefits that will accrue from YOU having that pack, I'm all ears. I think y'all are a fine bunch of folk and a good potential resource for Rescue Essentials, so I'm pleased to lobby on your behalf. This is NOT a contest, but when (I'm sure enough not to say "if") I get that pack to hand out, I'd like to give it to someone who can field test it in the applications and under the conditions for which it was designed, who can provide succinct feedback about it, and who can sincerely endorse www.rescue-essentials.com as a resource for EMS and Tac-Med people. Wish I could get a whole quiver of packs for the ZS roster, but at least I think one of them is a lock.

Also, I GREATLY value anyone and everyone's constructive criticism and suggestions for improving that site - its utility, range of products, presentation etc. etc.

Thanks for your time.

-J

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:31 pm

*UPDATE*

Added SAM Splint and Izzie, courtesy of my underground Kerlix cartel. I have decided I do not like carrying around all this extra crap anymore, I will be condensing and trimming very soon.

Also, I am trying to sign up for a first responder or EMT-B class, but there are not many places around here that are offering these types of courses. The local Red Cross Chapter does not do anything past CPR, and most of our local CC and vo-tech only offer EMT-I or paramedic. Any ideas, or anybody from OKC area that knows something I do not?
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:14 am

Veritas wrote:*UPDATE*

Added SAM Splint and Izzie, courtesy of my underground Kerlix cartel. I have decided I do not like carrying around all this extra crap anymore, I will be condensing and trimming very soon.

Also, I am trying to sign up for a first responder or EMT-B class, but there are not many places around here that are offering these types of courses. The local Red Cross Chapter does not do anything past CPR, and most of our local CC and vo-tech only offer EMT-I or paramedic. Any ideas, or anybody from OKC area that knows something I do not?
Go here and plug in your state. Then, contact the training centers that come up and see if they offer FR training.

Another option is to contact the local hospitals ER or EMS training office and see if they know where you can get FR or EMT-B.

Good luck!
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

Veritas

Re: My FAK (with pictures! yahtzee!)

Post by Veritas » Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 pm

OK, here is the updated FAK. I switched it up a bit, mostly because I now have essentially three different FAKs, this big one, the one I carry with me all the time and the one I carry in the car. I will post the IFAK in my GHB post later, but for now, enjoy the big guy.

I take this camping if I don't have to walk very far, because there is virtually no way for me to have this and my pack with clothes, shelter, etc. That is what the IFAK is for. Anyway, without further ado...

The main bag:

The side pocket containing a CPR faceshield and showing the attached roll of duct tape:

My "minor injuries" pouch, containing: Band-aids, antibiotic creams, butterfly closings, OTC painkiller, foot creme, non stick gauze pads, etc. in a vacuum sealed bag; Chloroprep and dermabond ampules in a microscope box; and tape

Side of bag showing Sharpie and hand sanitizing foam:

Minor burn kit, with analgesic/antibiotic burn cream and small telfa pads

PPE cabinet with vacuum sealed nitrile gloves; face masks; antibiotic wipes. For some reason I left out the N95 respirators (2), but they are just the basic 3M brand

Main Trauma Pocket and Clear medicine pouch:

Contents of Main Trauma Pouch: 1 ETD, 2 Z-pack gauze, 1 ACE wrap, 1 Large Kerlix roll, Large medical tape, smaller surgical tape, 2 Burngel 4x4s, 2 pertrolatum gauze, 3 abdominal/compression wraps of various sizes from Czech kit

Continuing in the same pouch: 3 combine dressing, 2 SAM splints, 2 tegaderm dressings, 1 abdominal pad

In the bottom pouch we have: 1 Large Kerlix roll, 1 roll Coban, 1 Ace wrap, non-stick waterproof wound pad, cotton applicators, 2 packets ORS, antiseptic wipes, stethoscope, sunscreen, and Gold Bond.

More from the same pouch: Army Medical Handbook; arm sling; sterile saline; "minor surgery kit" with sutures, scissors, scalpels, etc.; suture removal tray; moleskin; vacuum sealed bag containing three small kerlix rolls, one large kerlix roll, a bunch of gauze 4x4s, some combine dressings, and some extra large bandaids.

Instruments: penlight, scissors, forceps, tweezers, disposable thermometers,magnifying glass, irrigation syringe, and tape.

Med list:
OTC and prescription for N/V/D
Topical antibiotic
Anti-itch creme
Saline for irrigation
OTC Painkillers
Need Benadryl, used it and have not replaced it.

I am going to get some Celox in a few months, maybe some Quickclot, I have not decided. As always, constructive criticism is encouraged.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Re: My FAK (with pictures! yahtzee!) *UPDATE PAGE THREE*

Post by JIM » Thu May 22, 2008 2:58 pm

If you get a BP-cuff, about 2 more ACE-bandages / Coban and the meds you mentioned it's just about perfect really.

Ow, and perhaps a space-blanket or two..

Nice job!

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Nice job filling out that pack Veritas. Good to see it in ready form.

Jim mentioned space blankets...

I was about to take down the free one from HERE, but I'll leave it up for a couple more days just in case you want it (or anyone else does).

Query: Has anyone here ever used Blist-O-Ban? New York Times put our site in an article today and we've been slammed for the stuff.... at least someone thinks it works.

honestopinion

Post by honestopinion » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:12 am

Veritas wrote: Close-up of Army Surgical Kit (it's gimmicky, so sue me. I'm a sucker for this stuff):
do you know how to use those surgical tools if you were in the position that it was required? if not, surgical tools are more likely to be a liability than benefit. Not sure if you've taken EMT/FR classes but in most (if not all) states people can sue you for treating them if you're not qualified and things go south. I am not a lawyer so I might be wrong, but that's what I was told in a class a while back. Just something to keep in mind.

If you aren't going to be using the tools for those reasons above then I'm sure the space could be better suited to other items.
this is a signature.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 am

honestopinion wrote:
do you know how to use those surgical tools if you were in the position that it was required? if not, surgical tools are more likely to be a liability than benefit. Not sure if you've taken EMT/FR classes but in most (if not all) states people can sue you for treating them if you're not qualified and things go south. I am not a lawyer so I might be wrong, but that's what I was told in a class a while back. Just something to keep in mind.

If you aren't going to be using the tools for those reasons above then I'm sure the space could be better suited to other items.
Thank you for your honest opinion. I do, as a matter of fact, know what I am doing. Thanks for checking. To address your concerns, I will not be treating anyone that is going to sue me. As far as the classes, I have that more than covered. I guess if I wanted to cover my training I could put a central line and a lumbar puncture tray in there, but there is no real need for that in the wilderness. Once again, I appreciate you looking out for me....

But since you asked, most of that is gone. I do have a hemostat and a kelly forceps for suturing (no proper needle holder unfortunately), and a couple scalpel blades and one handle because they make me look cool. Maybe you could suggest what I should fill the now empty space with? I added a CPR mask and some gloves. Any other opinion?
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

honestopinion

Post by honestopinion » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 am

Veritas wrote:
honestopinion wrote:

Thank you for your honest opinion. I do, as a matter of fact, know what I am doing. Thanks for checking. To address your concerns, I will not be treating anyone that is going to sue me. As far as the classes, I have that more than covered. I guess if I wanted to cover my training I could put a central line and a lumbar puncture tray in there, but there is no real need for that in the wilderness. Once again, I appreciate you looking out for me....

But since you asked, most of that is gone. I do have a hemostat and a kelly forceps for suturing (no proper needle holder unfortunately), and a couple scalpel blades and one handle because they make me look cool. Maybe you could suggest what I should fill the now empty space with? I added a CPR mask and some gloves. Any other opinion?
Perhaps you got the wrong impression from my question. I wasn't questioning your abilities in a negative manner, just asking if you knew how to use surgical equipment. I know some people that carry around those kits that don't know how to use them and it always makes me wonder just what they plan on doing with it. Maybe you're a surgeon, maybe an paramedic, I have no idea. Just curious. :D

edit: By the way you have what looks to be a very well thought out and comprehensive set of gear. Well done on that. :)
this is a signature.

steve2071

Re:

Post by steve2071 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 am

:D

Beti
Favorite Zombie Movies: Aaah! Zombies!!, Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil (all of 'em)

Post by Beti » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Veritas wrote: Suture Removal Tray, 3 Saline Tubes, 1 25ml Saline Bottle, 2 N95 Particulate Respirators, 1 Sling, 1 Tourniquet, 1 CPR mask, Army Surgical Kit, 1 Airway, 4 Hypodermic Needles, 4 Syringes (needles and syringes in two sizes)
I know this is a very old thread but I was wandering through the old posts gawking at everyone's kits and saw the questions about the orange thing above. If I'm not mistaken, it's an old style CPR airway. Dad carried one in his car glove box when I was young (mid-1970s). The idea was to sit at the person's head as if you are holding c-spine. The wide end hold's the patient's mouth open (like a scuba mouthpiece) and the narrow end curves towards the care provider (think of an elephant's trunk pointing upwards). It provided a little protection while giving rescue breaths - at least until the patient throws up. I don't know if they were used by medics. The package I remember looked like a blue and white Johnson & Johnson label so it may have been for laypeople.
Last edited by Beti on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptAltered

Re:

Post by ptAltered » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 am

Jorian wrote:
I've heard it called "micro-thin bandage" among other things*. It's a waterproof, breathable (vapor-permeable) urethane sheet. (Look at the link) IIRC it was originally used for covering IV sites. Works well on burns and abrasions and I've used it as a closure on lacerations. Can be cut to almost any size and shape and used on really tough spots like between fingers and toes. 3A ointment keeps it from adhering, so it's best on wounds that can be well cleaned with iodine solution. Tincture of benzoin helps it stay in place, but you want to keep that stuff away from the wound (it burns). I've left it on for almost a week, sometimes squeezing excess exudate out of a tiny pinhole (they say it will "dry" without doing that , but not IME). Healing has been excellent and it survives showering etc. Since it weighs next to nothing and takes up no significant space, I've taken to including it even in my little dayhiking FAK.

* Some of the "other things" are not fit for repetition in mixed company - it can be extremely frustrating to handle. One false move and it likes to turn into a wad of useless gummy stuff.

I've always had positive outcomes in wound approximation using Steri-Strips or pieces of micropore tape torn into strips. Benzoin about 2-3cm away from the wound to improve adhesion then apply a strip to opposing sides of the wound in close proximity to each other. Pull the tape in opposing directions until the wound closure looks neat and secure the flaps of tape. I've noticed significantly less scarring and secondary infection when doing this technique (after high pressure irrigation) than covering the entire wound with a whole bandage

HTH,
Mo
"Attention Criminals; due to the rising costs of ammunition all warning shots will be fired into your chest and face!"

Return to “First Aid”