My FAK (with pictures! yahtzee!) *UPDATE PAGE THREE*

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Veritas

My FAK (with pictures! yahtzee!) *UPDATE PAGE THREE*

Post by Veritas » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:22 am

I made this with the idea that I would be able to treat one to three people for just about anything that could happen on our camping trips. Of course it will work great in the PAW, but I still need to add some stuff.

PLEASE READ: I know I don't have those Israeli bandages, Quikclot or SAM splints. I am working on it. I do need advice on a new bag to hold all this because I quickly out-grew my Czech bag.

2 rolls 3" Kerlix, 2 rolls 4.5" Kerlix, 2 rolls 4" Coban, 50 4x4 Gauze Sponges, 4 Drain Sponges, 2 Czech Mystery Gauze Bandage Rolls

4 Czech Mystery Cotton/Gauze Rolls, 2 Eye Pads, 6 Gauze Rolls (opened one of these, thin gauze in a long roll), More czech Mystery Stuff in OD Package, A Lot More 4x4s, Cotton Balls/Wadding, Small Thick Gauze Sponges

Suture Removal Tray, 3 Saline Tubes, 1 25ml Saline Bottle, 2 N95 Particulate Respirators, 1 Sling, 1 Tourniquet, 1 CPR mask, Army Surgical Kit, 1 Airway, 4 Hypodermic Needles, 4 Syringes (needles and syringes in two sizes)

Foot Cream, Antibiotic Cream, Alcohol Wipes, Povidone Wipes in Microscope Slide Boxes (I have them, I wanted to use them), More Antibiotic, Latex Gloves, Alcohol Hand Sanitizer Foam, Weird Compression Wrap (Czech), Safety Pins, Burn Cream, Steri Strips, Lots of Medical Tape, stupid respirators again, box of big bandaids and blister bandaids

2 6" ACE-type Bandages, 1 ACE-like bandage, Moleskin

Close-up of Army Surgical Kit (it's gimmicky, so sue me. I'm a sucker for this stuff):

This all used to fit in here:
But not anymore.

Not pictured: Another set of Kelly forceps, bandage scissors, thermometer, pencil and notepad, some isolation gowns and masks, ambu bag (more over-kill) and the meds.

Med List: anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea (prescription and OTC), painkillers/fever-reducers (prescription and OTC)

What I plan to add: SAM splints, Israeli bandages, and some instant cold packs. I don't think I will add Quikclot unless I suddenly get a raise 'cause my job sucks and I don't want to work three hours for one ACS sponge. For the love of God, don't tell me to add Quikclot.

What I need advice on: A bag to hold all this stuff. Also, maybe someone like Doc Simon (even though he is a stinkin' cowpoke) can tell me what I should do for the overly mentioned "sucking chest wound." While doing that, maybe you guys would know what some of these are used for, I see these in the hospital but I don't know what they are used for and I might just buy some from CS if they are worth having: "alginate hydrocolloid dressing" "adaptic dressing" "oil emulsion dressing" and "vaseline dressing". I googled all these already but that doesn't tell me what they are really used for because I get the same response for nearly all of them.
Last edited by Veritas on Thu May 22, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:33 pm

I actually think thats a good bag.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I think that's one hell of a good first aid kit. A lot of people (including myself, until recently) just have a bunch of bandaids and call it a first aid kit.

-Erik

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Thanks, I would like to say that I love the bag, I just can't fit all that stuff in there. Maybe I will ditch some 4x4s and some of the cotton wading.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Tac Medic

Post by Tac Medic » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm

Those bandages you mentioned are just for non-stick wound covering. They are nice to have but not a necessity. Just do a three sided dressing for the chest wound. Your treatment will be situationally dictated, in other words, if the patient doesn't develop a tension, then the bandage is left alone, if they DO develop a tension, you may need to remove the bandage to alleviate the tension.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 pm

See that little roll of tape?

He looks lonely.

TAPE TAPE TAPE! I can make a bandage out of a shirt and tape, or hell, just tape.

Moral of the story? Add more good tape.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:56 pm

But I have three rolls, how much more do I need? I have two right next to each other to the right of the respirator (they are standing upright in little blue holders) and then one on its side (not in a holder).
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 pm

At least one more roll - of duct tape.

Otherwise, great job man. Looks good.
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

TBear0574

Post by TBear0574 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:15 pm

If you get more tape get the cloth tape. I have about 5-6 rolls in my kit. I keep them all on a tube of neosporin to save space.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:36 pm

Veritas wrote:But I have three rolls, how much more do I need? I have two right next to each other to the right of the respirator (they are standing upright in little blue holders) and then one on its side (not in a holder).
Ahh didn't see the two extra rolls. I've never been in a situation where I said, "Damnit, I wish I didn't have all this tape."

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:56 pm

Gunny wrote:
Veritas wrote:But I have three rolls, how much more do I need? I have two right next to each other to the right of the respirator (they are standing upright in little blue holders) and then one on its side (not in a holder).
Ahh didn't see the two extra rolls. I've never been in a situation where I said, "Damnit, I wish I didn't have all this tape."
I have...

"Smitty, throw me the tape"
-Smitty tosses one inch plastic candy ass medical tape to me-
"No, no this shit, the duct tape"

I actually do use tape aside from duct tape. It's the the interchangeability rules in medicine. Once doing CPR you can only pass of a patient to someone equally trained or better.

Duct tape can do the jobs of all the other medical tapes, and not the other way around.

I dont know what book that is in. I think it's in 'Tactical Medicine' but I dont know for sure. Wish I knew who the author was, so I could ask him and double check. :lol: :lol:

Seriously if ductape is a little too rough around the edges and you must use medical tape get some more. None of that one inch stuff though. Get some 2 inch or if you have brass balls, 3 inch.

(I'd like to point out that duct tape comes in rolls of up to at least 6 inches, but I dont think there is anyone man enough on this forum to carry that in their FAK. Well I did once, but the power of the tape nearly consumed me)
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 am

Dump that tape you have in there and replace it with rolls of 2" medical tape plus the duct tape. That stuff you have in there now won't stand up to the task. 2" medical tape is a beast against the elements. It rarely has let me down, and I've been in quite a few very bloody situations.
"Four things greater than all things are,—
Women and Horses and Power and War."
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:36 am

GanaEMT wrote:Dump that tape you have in there and replace it with rolls of 2" medical tape plus the duct tape. That stuff you have in there now won't stand up to the task. 2" medical tape is a beast against the elements. It rarely has let me down, and I've been in quite a few very bloody situations.
Man I love your sig.

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 am

it still makes me laugh.
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:54 am

Hot damn! Nice setup.

My only thing is...

Please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Swap out the latex gloves for nitrile. Latex sensitivity is a big issue and getting bigger. In severe cases, it is literally life-threatening.

Nitrile doesn't have the allergic reaction risk that latex does. Also, nitrile is stronger than latex and less likely to tear. It also comes in pretty colors, like purple, blue, green and black.

Where did you get the needles ans syringes from?

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:11 am

Thanks guys, and I see your point Gunny. The tape was free so in it went, I will try and scrounge some good tape but I will prob just break down and buy some. Definitely gonna get some duct tape though. I am going to get the SAM and Izzy next thursday (payday), but they are not as expensive as I thought, it just took some shopping around.

medic: The latex gloves are temporary and I am getting some nitrile in the mail (free, find the thread about free stuff in the BOB Gear thread).

I think you could probably get the needles and syringes from a lab that worked with anaerobes or something like that, but I don't know. I am just kinda brainstorming other places that you could find them, like if you knew any RNs, sometimes they have access to stuff but I don't know if that is kosher. I can't remember where I got mine, I've had them for a while.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:02 pm

What is the IV TQ and syrnges for? and is that some weird kind of CPR mask or an OPA. Get some tape (If you are in EMS and want to piss off your partner, all the tape in the ambulance and hide it under the bench seat and put 3 ince tape on the IV bag/tray) and get rid of the loose gauze except for a few 4x4s and pick up some izzy bandages.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:12 pm

Some pain meds might not hurt.
Doc Simon wrote: (I'd like to point out that duct tape comes in rolls of up to at least 6 inches, but I dont think there is anyone man enough on this forum to carry that in their FAK. Well I did once, but the power of the tape nearly consumed me)
Is that why you have that creepy green glow at night?
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:18 pm

kyle wrote:Some pain meds might not hurt.
Doc Simon wrote: (I'd like to point out that duct tape comes in rolls of up to at least 6 inches, but I dont think there is anyone man enough on this forum to carry that in their FAK. Well I did once, but the power of the tape nearly consumed me)
Is that why you have that creepy green glow at night?
No, that was the taint of manbath still fresh on me.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 pm

waterborne wrote:What is the IV TQ and syrnges for? and is that some weird kind of CPR mask or an OPA. Get some tape...
Gunny has already chastised me for my barbaric and flagrant disregard of proper tape etiquette. The IV TQ and syringes, like so much else that you see, was free and because I might need it for something, someday, I included it in the bag. I am a scrounger by trade and have absolutely no shame. Just wait 'till I post the IFAK I carry on my web belt, you guys will probably turn to sand 'cause of all the second hand junk I have. But hey, it's free. Anyway, that orange thing is an OPA, I think, it looks like one and came with the Czech kit. The blue thing next to it in the picture, also wrapped in plastic is a fancy CPR mask. I say fancy because at the CPR recert they just gave us what amounted to Saran wrap and a kleenex.

Oh, and you can never have too much gauze...
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

GanaEMT

Post by GanaEMT » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:52 pm

If that's an OPA, toss it. It looks downright dangerous-- one size does not fit all. Buy a set of proper OPAs.
-Rudyard Kipling

NREMT-Paramedic

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:05 am

Veritas wrote:
Oh, and you can never have too much gauze...
Truth.

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:11 am

Or orange elastic wraps, ala "Fifth Element"

:D

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:59 am

GanaEMT wrote:If that's an OPA, toss it. It looks downright dangerous-- one size does not fit all. Buy a set of proper OPAs.
Yeah, I have no idea how to use the thing, but I keep it because it came with the kit, and it makes me look cool to everyone but you guys. And other people that know what they are talking about.

I understand that NPAs are better, mostly from reading stuff on this forum. However I have no formal training and I don't want to just read about something, spend money on a bunch and feel like I understand how they work. I might file this in the same category that I listed the c-collar I almost bought for $7. If I ever need to use it, I would rather just spend that time finding qualified help than try to fix the problem myself. What do you guys think? Are these things a little too advanced? Or is it better to be prepared just in case that help does not arrive?
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Return to “First Aid”