Levaquin shelf life

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Levaquin shelf life

Post by sql_yoda » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 pm

I had a bad thing going on last year, cellulitis infection in my leg. It presented as swelling and redness for which my GP prescribed a ten day course of levofloxacin 500 mg. I took one, saw her the next day, and with no immediate outward signs of improvement, was admitted to hospital with IV vancomycin. I got better.

I still have the other nine pills and I wonder if it has a hard expiration date like tetracycline or even a "useless by" date. I can't see any good reason to just throw them away - they're one of the best carpet-bombing antibiotics available.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Levaquin shelf life

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Some links about general storage tips for medicine:
https://intermountainhealthcare.org/blo ... emergency/
https://wms.org/magazine/1183/index.html

As for recommended storage conditions for a specific drug, check first to see if is says on the packaging. Otherwise, the universal answer in all the resources I've seen is: ask your pharmacist.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:17 pm

sql_yoda wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 pm
I had a bad thing going on last year, cellulitis infection in my leg. It presented as swelling and redness for which my GP prescribed a ten day course of levofloxacin 500 mg. I took one, saw her the next day, and with no immediate outward signs of improvement, was admitted to hospital with IV vancomycin. I got better.

I still have the other nine pills and I wonder if it has a hard expiration date like tetracycline or even a "useless by" date. I can't see any good reason to just throw them away - they're one of the best carpet-bombing antibiotics available.
I'm not seeing any warnings regarding the expiration of tablets, but that does, mean much. What I am seeing is a whole host of warnings about Really Bad Things that can happen with it under certain conditions. I'm not going to list them all here but I will advise you to at least visit drug.com and look the stuff up. Read the professional literature on it.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

sql_yoda
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:52 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Read the professional literature on it.
I have a copy of the Merck manual and Physician's Desk Reference from around a decade ago when I last contributed to this website but they are in fact silent on the topic. I know for a fact that some things in particular ciprofloxacin are formulated for decades long storage effectiveness. I don't know where levaquin actually fits there, is it quick to spoil or useful in storage I don't know.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:05 pm

sql_yoda wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:52 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Read the professional literature on it.
I have a copy of the Merck manual and Physician's Desk Reference from around a decade ago when I last contributed to this website but they are in fact silent on the topic.
drugs.com, is not...

https://www.drugs.com/ppa/levofloxacin-systemic.html

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

sql_yoda
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:33 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:05 pm
drugs.com, is not...

There's nothing about useful shelf life. Unless I missed it. There's a buttload of information there. I'm not trying to say there isn't - just I don't know how long is too long to keep it in my back pocket.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 pm

sql_yoda wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:33 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:05 pm
drugs.com, is not...

There's nothing about useful shelf life. Unless I missed it. There's a buttload of information there. I'm not trying to say there isn't - just I don't know how long is too long to keep it in my back pocket.
My comment was that there's a very long list of warning/contraindications/cautions/etc. and that my advice would be to familiarize yourself with them. This is not a simple drug.

abelru

Post by abelru » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 pm

One of the reasons you will have a very difficult time pinning down a definite “use by” date is that there are so many variables to account for.

Temp, humidity, delivery vehicle (is it a tablet, a cap, a suppository, etc), exposure to UV, manufacturer and their choices of excipients, and on and on...

Although it doesn’t answer your original question, a somewhat on topic look at some of these considerations (and others):

https://www.fda.gov/media/104987/download

It’s an FDA study regarding extending the expiration date of .gov doxy stockpiles beyond what the manufacturer lists. You can see how difficult it is to ascertain safety in dated drugs. Another factor that is working against you is that your original question is counter to a for-profit venture. There is a significant financial disincentive for pharm companies to explore this topic.
Orbes volantes exstare!!!

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:38 am

Have they been on Earth the entire time?

https://lsda.jsc.nasa.gov/lsda_data/dat ... ion_detail

Some key points from that study perhaps:

- The tablets were removed from their original manufacturer's packaging
- They still retained > 90% of the active ingredient for about 500 days
- The levofloxacin tablets they obtained had a labeled expiration date about 2.5 years out

Return to “First Aid”