Buying emergency water from Amazon

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ericthezhunter

Buying emergency water from Amazon

Post by Ericthezhunter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:08 pm

So I bought a pack of Emergency water from Amazon, a flashlight and some chocolate bars. Please don't get mad at me but I already ate the chocolate bars.

The water came in several pouches (30 day supply I believe) and when you add that to the flashlight, this is literally my earthquake emergency kit. Now if there are any medical emergencies during this time (Broken ankle perhaps while running down the stairs of my apartment building) and no medical doctors are going to be around obviously, what is my best bet here?

Should I learn the basics of bandage and things of that nature too?

Like how to fix broken bones, etc. Or at least learn how to hold them in place until real help arrives.

Just want to be prepared on my ghetto budget.

I'm from Vancouver, BC and we're in for a big one for quite some time now. I think the entire west coast is.
Last edited by Ericthezhunter on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Buying emergency water from Amazon

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Chocolate bars wouldn't last long as a prep in my house either. When it comes to that kind of thing, every day suddenly becomes a desperate emergency requiring immediate administration of copious amounts of cocoa products. There are whole threads here and elsewhere devoted to short-term, long-term, shelter-in and grab-and-go food preps. Stuff that's more nourishing yet less tempting than chocolate bars. Google is your friend.

Basic first aid training is a great prep and should be at or near the top of everyone's list. Training = knowledge, which is more important than the first aid supplies themselves. But obviously it's best to have both.

Keep what you have obviously, but I wouldn't bother buying any more "emergency water" from Amazon. That has to the priciest way to get one of the most accessible preps. And unless it was delivered on a fork lift, you didn't receive anywhere near a 30-day supply. If it's grab-and-go you're looking for, buy a few cases of bottled water and call it a good start. Otherwise look at options to store larger quantities of pre-treated tap water.

Flashlights, a portable weatherband radio, extra batteries should all be part of your ghetto bucket. Since you're prepping for an earthquake, sheltering in structures post-event may be dangerous. Consider adding blankets, sleeping bags and at least a tarp to your earthquake kit.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Step one, get some training: https://www.redcross.ca/training-and-certification

Step two, put together a first aid kit that supports your abilities/training/needs. My advice on this part is to not purchase a pre-made kit. The vast majority of them are next to worthless when it comes to serious trauma. They're often heavily stocked with what I call bullshit items that are in the kit solely to boost up the item count and make it seem like you're getting a helluva deal. Like a 200 piece kit where 175 of the 200 pieces are various types of bandaids and the closest thing to a trauma dressing in the pack is half a dozen 4 ply 2x2 gauze pads. Great if you get a really deep paper cut, useless for most other things.

If you're putting together a kit to support your medical needs in the aftermath of a major disaster you're going to need a lot more than that. 4x4 or 5x7 sponges, various widths of roller gauze, splints, etc. Think about the types of injuries you'll likely be faced with and you'll understand just how woefully inadequate most pre-packed first aid kits are.

To reiterate, train first. All the supplies in the world won't help you a single iota if you don't know how to use them. Then, once you've trained, take a look at what the pros use. Visit your local fire station and ask to talk with the EMTs/paramedics and look at what they stock their kits with. Explain what you want to do and get their recommendations.

I was an EMT and drove ambulances in NYC for 14 years. I obviously can't answer for your particular area and your fire/rescue services, but anyone coming up to me or my partner with questions and a desire to get trained and put together a kit would be warmly welcomed and helped as much as we can. My partners and I spent many hundreds of hours of our time, and thousands of dollars of our own money teaching free or low-cost BLS (basic life support) and CPR courses in the communities we lived and worked in. I can't imagine that our Canadian brothers and sisters would be too much different in that regard.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:02 pm

I'll second third (NT2C beat my reply) that some basic training including a little bit of disaster psychology, logistics, and skills is a good place to start. It looks like Canada might have an affiliated Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) organization, like in the US, or I bet at least something else like it. Training with a local organization like that is usually free, just provided that you are able to sign up and attend at whatever times the trainings are. It is a great place to learn some light first-aid, Search And Rescue (SAR), and communication skills, and get a better idea of what kinds of challenges you're likely to face post-disaster. It is also a good place to meet local like-minded people who are looking to help one another after such an event as well.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:29 pm
If it's grab-and-go you're looking for, buy a few cases of bottled water and call it a good start.
If you go this route, constant stock rotation is a good idea. By that I mean, buying a large enough quantity to last for the time period you're prepping for, plus a payday, then use the oldest of that supply for your normal needs and replenish your stock every payday. (ie: if you're prepping for 30 days and you get paid weekly, get enough for 5 weeks. I you get paid every other week, get 6 week's worth)

This keeps things fresh and reduces the risk of anything from the containers leaching into the water over time. Also, very important, store the bottles away from sunlight! Not because of any bad effect sunlight might have on the contents but because bottles of water have been known to start fires by acting as magnifiers in bright sunlight.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Please don't get mad at me but I already ate the chocolate bars.
Look at it this way; if the earthquake strikes today you are golden and will be seen as a prophet.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Should I learn the basics of bandage and things of that nature too?
Just go to the Red Cross and take a First Aid/ CPR course. That will get you a baseline and you can decide where you want to go from there.

Here is a listing of the ones currently available in BC.

https://www.redcross.ca/in-your-communi ... iyc-filter

I suggest you cruise their website and pick up other information that might be helpful. The Red Cross also sells a moderately priced First Aid Kit, among many other disaster relief supplies and the money goes to support the organization, which is a moderately good thing IMO.

https://www.redcross.ca/in-your-communi ... -and-yukon

https://products.redcross.ca/?_ga=2.147 ... 1568840876
You go over and under
I go through

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:49 pm

If you have municipal tap water, you can store it in clean glass or plastic containers for up to six months. Clean 2-liter pop bottles with new lids are pretty good containers.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Ericthezhunter

Post by Ericthezhunter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Basic first aid training is a great prep and should be at or near the top of everyone's list. It's like being your own medical doctor or neurologist. Training = knowledge, which is more important than the first aid supplies themselves. But obviously it's best to have both.
Whoa! Thx for the awesome tips guys. Especially the First aid course (Which I took way back in high school) and that tap water thing at the end is golden. In all seriousness though, I really hope people here start to take this earthquake thing more seriously down here.
Last edited by Ericthezhunter on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Return the water & get a refund asap. I can get a 1 (US) gallon jug of water from my local grocery store for $0.88 USD. I would think that there is some equivalent in Canadia-land of the TRUE NORTH, Strong & Free. :)

Really...I like Canada. I listen to CBC podcasts throught the day.

Ericthezhunter

Post by Ericthezhunter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:44 pm

hahah thx @mpmalloy - Regrettably, the water is like 4 months old already. Guess I'm stuck with it. Yes CBC is a great radio station. Glad you enjoy it :)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm

If you took your First Aid course more than five years ago you really should go again.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm
If you took your First Aid course more than five years ago you really should go again.
Yes!

1. Time passes.
2. Things change.
3. Stay current.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:08 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:19 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Yes!

1. Time passes.
2. Things change.
3. Stay current.
Exactly! I got my original EMT certification almost 40 years ago and imagine my surprise to learn that we stopped using leeches! (though they are making a comeback I hear)

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:39 pm

1. First aid course. Shit, even some free YouTube stuff from legit people is useful.

2. Budget First Aid kit: duct tape, Purell, rubbing alcohol/hydrogen peroxide can fix most minor to moderate issues... I don't care what anyone says. It's what I use, and I'm kind of a doctor-ish. Maybe throw in some A&D ointment for burns.

3. Get a tub of freeze dried entrees from someone like Mountain House or any 25 year shelf like budget brand. You basically need to last 2-3 weeks. If civilization isn't up and running by then, you're already screwed. Costs like $70 USD for a bucket. Then you can shit in the bucket later.

4. Get some jugs of water like everyone said. Remember, in an emergency you can fill your tub if you have warning. And a hot water tank is another emergency source (unless you have a boiler for your apartment).

5. Buy some useful budget gear: basic knife (Morakniv craftline or companion off Amazon). Basic flashlight (maglite LED with D cell batteries... They last an eternity). A couple basic hand tools... Screw drivers, pliers, wrench or two, side cutters. Cheap camping water filter.

6. Common sense: Never let your toilet paper or paper towels get low. Keep your gas tank above 1/2 at all times. Keep chargers or battery packs for cell phone handy... And conserve power when you need to. Learn ways to boil water with everyday items... I'm a fan of the coffee can stove.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 am

Some of the all in one charging stations are nice to have to, to keep your cell phone and maybe your internet up and running.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-1200 ... 0301008005

Here is an example of one. Charges USB items, runs low wattage AC power, will jump your car and even blow up your air mattress. It can be very handy and useful if the power is on or off.
You go over and under
I go through

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 am

cheap prep idea, find apps for you phone to allow you to access what you think you might need in an emergency, just make sure that they run on the device, and don't rely on the network for storage.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:55 am

emclean wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 am
cheap prep idea, find apps for you phone to allow you to access what you think you might need in an emergency, just make sure that they run on the device, and don't rely on the network for storage.
Remeber the limitations of any device. Large MicroSD cards are coming down in price. I have a 256 GB in my phone (still :cry: broke :gonk:). I barely use any space. Be wary of strange wi-fi.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:08 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:19 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Yes!

1. Time passes.
2. Things change.
3. Stay current.
Exactly! I got my original EMT certification almost 40 years ago and imagine my surprise to learn that we stopped using leeches! (though they are making a comeback I hear)
:lol:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:33 am

Water preps are cheap. bottled water in gallon jugs can be found for $1.00 almost everywhere.

I actually prefer the square 1 gallon bottles and this brand because the plastic lasts at least 3 years without leaking. If you buy a case it also stores neatly and compactly.
https://www.dollartree.com/x/835462

Bottle water stored properly basically has an indefinate shelf life.

Also while it will not help for a sudden event like an earthquake reusable containers like this are useful for events with a bit of notice.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... 179&sr=8-4

BTW I also like the packaged water but only for my car. These are long lasting and not prone to leakage.
https://www.amazon.com/Food-Emergency-W ... 11&sr=8-15

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Ericthezhunter wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:08 pm
So I bought a pack of Emergency water from Amazon

Now if there are any medical emergencies during this time (Broken ankle perhaps
It seems to me that the main pro for those water pouches over regular bottled water would be in case of flood contact, seeing they are completely sealed. Check with the manufacturer to be sure, but I would expect those pouches to be able to be bleached the same as you might do with (non-pop-top) canned foods, if they had got in contact with potentially contaminated waters. Where regular bottles that can leak might not remain safe. (https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.html)

Also, many of the emergency water pouches can be both frozen and heated up; I'd imagine they could be useful for car kits in winter, where freezing is unavoidable. That said, they ARE expensive and harder to store neatly, plus they don't taste that great, comparatively. Still. They have other pros. Don't feel they are a waste; water is the most important thing and a lot of people don't make that their #1 prep when they should.

As for the first aid problem- it might not help a seriously broken bone, but adding a sturdy ankle brace- one that fits you and you have tried and tested- to your kit, is a great idea. Worth its weight.

If you break a leg, you're going to be taking stairs on your butt and hopping your way around. A badly sprained or swollen ankle can put you in a similar condition of being completely unable to walk. But a good brace can change that to being able to walk, albeit still in pain, for a good long time in an emergency. (Don't run down the stairs. :lol: )

Muscle rub in a tube is a great idea, too. If there's a situation where you have to twist weird and then use your strength, it's likely you may get muscle spasms as a result, even when it's never happened before. Muscle rub can be a lifesaver by enabling you to get somewhere safe more quickly... rather than being debilitated on the floor yelling thanks to a stubborn charlie horse that won't stop.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Ibprofen, Alive, Tylenol, and generic equals would be wise. I didn't see them mentioned yet.

Any other medications you might need regularly.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:22 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:53 pm
Ibprofen, Alive, Tylenol, and generic equals would be wise. I didn't see them mentioned yet. Any other medications you might need regularly.
I have found this to be nice & expensive prep. Be judicious.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:11 pm

If you stock up on water, Ramen isn't a terrible prep for cheap too. Will last a couple years too.

If you have pets, pet antibiotics can be useful for your pets.......................................................
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “First Aid”