Weatherproof Wilderness First Response Kit - pelican style?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Weatherproof Wilderness First Response Kit - pelican style?

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm starting to compile items to stock a basecamp first aid kit to be used on property I acquired in December.
The property is off the beaten path, may take a while to get emergency medical attention, so the kit will need to be fairly comprehensive. Should be built to care for 2-6 people.

There's currently no storage on site, so I'll be lugging this kit back and forth from home. I'd like something that can be kept close by when we're working on the property. I don't want to leave it in the tent because of a little rain, when I will want it right away if necessary.

I'm considering a pelican style waterproof case. Something bomb proof that I won't worry about falling off the bug out cart in and out of the property. Has anyone seen this done before? Any suggestions on what to avoid or features to look for?

Any further information you need to make a suggestion, just ask.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

VXMerlinXV

Re: Weatherproof Wilderness First Response Kit - pelican style?

Post by VXMerlinXV » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm

For your question, my go to answer would be the pelican 1600 EMS. That being said, having done this a few times, your best bet is to first figure out specifically what you want to pack, then get a case to fit that, not find the case and load it after. What’s your provider level? How remote is remote? What is the local EMS response model? Anyone in your list have specific medical needs? How are communications from the site? Do you have a vehicle that’s truly overland capable, if you needed to self rescue? Will you be hunting, shooting, or building on this land?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:43 pm

I do believe in the "buy the bag last" practice. I will not be purchasing anything until the stock is fully acquired. I just figured there would be limited options that fill every requirement I've listed.

My current provider level is ... Basic plus? I've taken CPR/first aid courses since I was 8, but I've familiarized myself with quick clot, chest seals and turneqiuts which I carry in my range bag and hunting faks. My wife and I will be completing some wilderness first responder classes before spring, and I'm trying to talk work into an industrial trauma response course. Of the friends I expect to be using the property with the most, one is a nurse. I don't expect to stock a kit to her level of knowledge, but somewhere in between would be good.

The property is 1.3 KM (0.8miles) past the end of the assumed road, and 30-45 minutes to the nearest hospital according to google maps. Urgent care could be an hour or more away.

No motorized vehicle that's over land capable yet, the road in is a little more rough than I'm comfortable with in my daily driver. We have a utility wagon capable of hauling the weight of several people, but I don't know how comfortable of a pull it would be.

Hunting, shooting, building, and fire craft will all happen on location.
BullOnParade

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:43 pm
I do believe in the "buy the bag last" practice. I will not be purchasing anything until the stock is fully acquired. I just figured there would be limited options that fill every requirement I've listed.

My current provider level is ... Basic plus? I've taken CPR/first aid courses since I was 8, but I've familiarized myself with quick clot, chest seals and turneqiuts which I carry in my range bag and hunting faks. My wife and I will be completing some wilderness first responder classes before spring, and I'm trying to talk work into an industrial trauma response course. Of the friends I expect to be using the property with the most, one is a nurse. I don't expect to stock a kit to her level of knowledge, but somewhere in between would be good.

The property is 1.3 KM (0.8miles) past the end of the assumed road, and 30-45 minutes to the nearest hospital according to google maps. Urgent care could be an hour or more away.

No motorized vehicle that's over land capable yet, the road in is a little more rough than I'm comfortable with in my daily driver. We have a utility wagon capable of hauling the weight of several people, but I don't know how comfortable of a pull it would be.

Hunting, shooting, building, and fire craft will all happen on location.
Have you checked with your local responders? My parents are considerably more accessible than you seem to be, but the hospital just sends a 'copter to their area.

Might change your kit needs a bit, from "keep them alive while they're moved an hour or so to a hospital" to "keep them alive in place until the nice helicopter crew gets there with all their specialized training and gear".

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Asking what happens in an emergency is on the to do list when we call into the municipal office to start planning our cabin. Making a clearing large enough for a helicopter is on my to do list come spring. Regardless, you can bleed out from a chainsaw accident faster than you can get to the road or radio in a helicopter if you don't have the right equipment (and know-how) organized, preferably in a waterproof container.

I didn't realize pelican made ems specific (orange) cases. The 1600 is substantial size for sure, I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

I also realized I skipped the comms question above: cell reception is come and go, presumably better once I open up some land. We also have access to gmrs and handheld ham radio on site, but we're not licensed, another on the list of property owner preparations.
BullOnParade

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:36 pm
Asking what happens in an emergency is on the to do list when we call into the municipal office to start planning our cabin. Making a clearing large enough for a helicopter is on my to do list come spring. Regardless, you can bleed out from a chainsaw accident faster than you can get to the road or radio in a helicopter if you don't have the right equipment (and know-how) organized, preferably in a waterproof container.
Sure; that's why I said it might change your needs, not eliminate them.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:42 am

If you have the funding, I'd recommend making a trauma specific kit and a 'sick call' kit.

not many remember the wound care portion and how many dressings you actually need.
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 am

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this. But Harbor Freight sells a Pelican like case for a fraction of the cost. And it gets pretty good reviews. For something that you likely to just fit in your car or bug out location it would fit the bill perfectly. Their brand is called Apache.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am

moab wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 am
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this. But Harbor Freight sells a Pelican like case for a fraction of the cost. And it gets pretty good reviews. For something that you likely to just fit in your car or bug out location it would fit the bill perfectly. Their brand is called Apache.
We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but we have Princess Auto, which is of similar business model. But I'm always looking for a good reason to go down to upstate NY for a weekend. I'll definitely compare sizes and price points there when I'm ready to buy, thanks for the tip.

Yesterday I took a look around Home Depot at their rolling tool boxes. Some were huge and gasket sealed around the lid for water resistance, most coming in at the $100 price range. Definitely something I'll consider if I end up needing a bigger than handheld solution, and pelican style cases are out of my budget.
BullOnParade

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:07 pm

The budget cases are not a bad option, especially if this case won’t see daily austere use. Hobby and hardware stores are great places to pick up organizers to fit the box.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:15 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am
moab wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 am
We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but we have Princess Auto, which is of similar business model. But I'm always looking for a good reason to go down to upstate NY for a weekend. I'll definitely compare sizes and price points there when I'm ready to buy, thanks for the tip.

Yesterday I took a look around Home Depot at their rolling tool boxes. Some were huge and gasket sealed around the lid for water resistance, most coming in at the $100 price range. Definitely something I'll consider if I end up needing a bigger than handheld solution, and pelican style cases are out of my budget.
I don't know the size range of the APaches at HF. But they do make a fullsize rifle case. Or what looks like a full size rifle case. SO maybe they make the larger sizes too. Also look at military surplus. There are a couple nice larger surplus cases on the market. That might fit your needs as well. Try ebay and surplus stores. I'd try to get something better than say a Plano or Home Depot. Something that actually seals good. And keeps the water out. I know a lot of the plastic non pelican type have crappy air/water seals. Not so with harder plastic Apache, Pelican or military type ones.

There's a guy on youtube that put ammo in a plastic watertight ammo case and a metal USGI ammo box. And thru it in his pond for a year. The plastic case filled with water and ruined the ammo. The metal case was still watertight after a full year. And all the ammo inside was fine. I think you have to have a very rigid plastic or metal to ensure that the seals stay tight. Which is important if you ever see yourself leaving these at your property or elsewhere unattended and open to the elements.

EDIT - There is a military surplus case or cases actually made by Pelican for cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-Hardig ... 0005.m1851 I have not researched there waterproofness.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Check these guys for good, used Pelican and Pelican style military grade cases. If you scroll to the bottom of the home page, under "Shopping Resources" there's a "Canada/International" link that says they ship to over 50 different countries so this might be a good resource for you, not just for this one case.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm

I use a S.O. Tech rammp kit as my jump bag. Its not a particularly budget friendly piece of kit - but you definitely get what you pay for.
With everything well organized and labeled its easy to direct a bystander to open the 3rd pocket on the right that says airway and give me the long tube thingy ..(king airway) or the top left and give me the purple roll of tape (coban).

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Hit up eBay or Craiglist for a used yellow or orange Pelican case. The 1500 or the 1550 should be plenty large enough.

The color is to make it stand out from the ubiquitous black.

Even brand new the quality and longevity makes the Pelican the best choice, they're virtually unbreakable.

Check out the various padded dividers and the EMS dividers, they take up some room but allow for much better organization.

Given your stated parameters, there's no better choice so why waste time and money trying alternatives hoping to match an already known level of quality?
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:09 pm

A waterproof dry bag should work by the way.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm
I use a S.O. Tech rammp kit as my jump bag. Its not a particularly budget friendly piece of kit - but you definitely get what you pay for.
With everything well organized and labeled its easy to direct a bystander to open the 3rd pocket on the right that says airway and give me the long tube thingy ..(king airway) or the top left and give me the purple roll of tape (coban).
I love my RAMMP. Can not recommend it enough. You can find a used model on eBay for $100, and if you go this route I can make some recommendation for packing lists.

arditty

Post by arditty » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Not to derail the thread, but I would be interested in a packing list or pictures of your loadout for your RAMMP. Just picked one up and am interested to see how you set yours up.
--
Arditty

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:31 pm

arditty wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 pm
Not to derail the thread, but I would be interested in a packing list or pictures of your loadout for your RAMMP. Just picked one up and am interested to see how you set yours up.
Mine is set up for expanded infirmary ops, as follows:
Six mini pouches on top half:
PPE : two ziplocks of exam gloves, sterile gloves (4), large bottle hand sanitizer, combo face shields (4), plastic trauma gowns (2)
Assessment: Stethoscope, ENT kit, UA strips, Preg tests, headlamp, batteries
Bleeding 1: 4x4's (25), 5x9's (10)
Bleeding 2: Kerlex (8), Combat gauze(2), TQ's (4), various medical tape
Wound care: Irrigation bottle, Iodine, CHG scrub (2), Stapler, various steristrips, various bandaids, Benzoin, Suture kit
Airway/Breathing: NPA/OPA kit, SGA's, Peds BVM, Peds and Adult BVM mask, Chest seals (4), #14 NDC (2)

Two medium pouches:
Ortho: SAM splints (6), Various ACE/Coban, Cravats (4)
IV: 500 ml kit (4), Start Kits (6)

Large pouch:
GP/Surgical: Basin x2, Canister cleansing wipes, Clean plastic tarp x2, Foley cath kit, NG/OG tube kit, graduated cylinder, Sterile OR towels (4) Surgical instrument kit, babywipes

The back sleeves hold a cervical collar, and a ziplock full of documentation kit.

NOTE: This wall hanger is not meant to be stand alone, but augments a STOMP 2 that is my primary medical coverage bag, allowing to cover more people for more time, and be up and running the second I get on site. I also usually bring a rubbermade tote full of meds to round out the package

Return to “First Aid”