Teaching Basic First Aid Stuff to Older Kids/Teens

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CG

Teaching Basic First Aid Stuff to Older Kids/Teens

Post by CG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:46 am

Any particularly good resources y'all have run across for teaching older kids/teens basic first aid? Online videos, books, etc.? Free is good. I do figure that we should all do at least the Heartsaver course at some point but we don't have the money for it just yet.

And yes, I'm googling around, I was just wondering if anybody has found anything fabulous...and I'll post back if I do!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

CG

Re: Teaching Basic First Aid Stuff to Older Kids/Teens

Post by CG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 am

Good little basic printable first aid guide: http://www.thebreakingnews.com/files/ar ... -guide.pdf
Nifty little wilderness first aid checklist: https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_C ... tGuide.pdf
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am

We used the Boy Scout first aid manual and a home CPR class that comes with a little dummy to teach our kids basic first aid. When they are 16 or older, they can take courses offered by the community. Around here, once a year, a group comes through and offers free CPR and FA classes for free. There is also CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training people can get that trains them to be part of a volunteer community based disaster response team. Around here, kids can join CERT at 16. Some areas support Teen CERT, but I'm not sure what the age requirements are for that.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Older Teens? Like old enough to take EMT classes?

Red Cross teaches a First Aid Course that is ok.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:37 pm

My local volunteer fire company has an Explorer program for teens where they can get First Responder certified (along with the fire stuff). Something to look into.

CG

Post by CG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Stercutus wrote:Older Teens? Like old enough to take EMT classes?

11 and 14. Older kid and teen. I should have been more clear.

I looked at the Red Cross one, but they want $50 per person, which isn't going to happen at the moment, so I was figuring I'll see what I can teach them at home.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am

CG wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Older Teens? Like old enough to take EMT classes?

11 and 14. Older kid and teen. I should have been more clear.

I looked at the Red Cross one, but they want $50 per person, which isn't going to happen at the moment, so I was figuring I'll see what I can teach them at home.
You can teach them yourself from the manual if you feel comfortable enough.

https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_C ... Manual.pdf

You can buy all the supplies you will need for about $30 (except an AED trainer) and everyone can use them. Or you can use old expired supplies which is what we used to do. Just make sure you mark them for training use only.

The manual gets updated annually.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

echo83

Post by echo83 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 pm

https://stopthebleedingcoalition.org/

These guys are offering a class at my local range. I'm strongly considering checking it out; I'm a member of the range, and I think the skills could be useful both on and off the range as well.

The e-mail I received is as follows:

"The course will run approximately 2 hours and costs $25 per individual. Class size is limited to 25 people, if Interest is showed beyond 25 members an additional class in the near future will be added.

The course will be taught by Ryan Mueller of Readiness Solutions Group; their mission is to provide reality based trauma and medical education and training to civilians, first responders as well as special operations military and law-enforcement personnel.

The classes training revolves around the management of penetrating trauma wounds (GSW), and is designed to prepare individuals to rapidly assess and treat life-threatening injuries. Immediate and effective control of massive bleeding, placement of a tourniquet when appropriate, how to pack a wound and stabilize someone until advanced medical care arrives are all part of the course, as well as how to put together an individual first aid kits (IFAK), etc.

Participants will receive a B-Con or "Bleeding Control" certificate from the national organization Stop the Bleed."

Return to “First Aid”