Zero/Minimal response to mosqito bites?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Zero/Minimal response to mosqito bites?

Post by LowKey » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm asking this out of curiosity more than anything else.
I've been out of country for about a decade and a half, and am temporarily on the west coast of Florida where I grew up. Been doing some yard work for a friend, in shorts of course, and looked down to discover my legs festooned with mosquitoes.
I expected the usual itchy bumps to follow, but instead all I have are small pale red dots with no swelling and no itchiness.

My question; DId ya'll do something to the mosquito population while I was gone to make them wimpy, or has my time spent in third world sh*tholes upped my immune systems game sufficiently to shrug off the bite of Florida's unofficial "bird". :awesome:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

SCBrian

Re: Zero/Minimal response to mosqito bites?

Post by SCBrian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:40 pm

It's possible you've been bit enough that your body recognizes the mosquito protein an non-harmful and ignores it. It's an allergic reaction when you see the 'bites'.

And in creepy news, here's a mosquito eating...

I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:53 pm

We gave it the Zika Virus. So don't have any sex for the next six months.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Stercutus wrote:We gave it the Zika Virus. So don't have any sex for the next six months.
Houston, we have a problem.....
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am

Were you taking anti-histamines at the time? Also adrenaline/endorphins will reduce welts [hives] caused by allergies and reduce pain sensation. If you were working hard at the time then maybe you had some adrenaline on your side. I don't get welts or itchyness from them either, usually, but feel them biting. I'm talking about east coast musky toes though.

Maybe Aliens genetically altered them and are using them to spread a virus as a preamble to an invasion.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:Were you taking anti-histamines at the time? Also adrenaline/endorphins will reduce welts [hives] caused by allergies and reduce pain sensation. If you were working hard at the time then maybe you had some adrenaline on your side. I don't get welts or itchyness from them either, usually, but feel them biting. I'm talking about east coast musky toes though.

Maybe Aliens genetically altered them and are using them to spread a virus as a preamble to an invasion.

No anti-histamines, and "working hard" would be at the far end of the spectrum from what I was doing. I was more or less putzing around with a pole trimmer for fun while trying to sculpt a sickly tree into a giant Bonzai. :lol:
Didn't even get my pule rate up, let alone break a real sweat.

Really, after the flock of bloodsuckers took off it looked like someone had tried to paint little red freckles on my legs with a fine point red marker. Not complaining, but the ones around here 30 years back used to cause nickel sized welts that would itch for days.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't respond to mosquito bites. It's an allergic reaction to the protein they inject into you. My friend on the other hand has gotten more allergic to them over the years. He always reacted to them, but recently apparently mosquito bites are starting to get about the size of silver dollars.

I've heard and read some info that the proteins that they inject are actually very heat sensitive. So something that's been recommended is heating a spoon so that its hot but not burning and press on the bite itself and it'll destroy the proteins. I don't know if its something that actually works but the science behind it is sound.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Youngdumb
Favorite Zombie Movies: I Am A Hero
Walking Dead

Post by Youngdumb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 am

My skin also doesn't react badly to mozzie bites, but ant bites can swell badly. I guess partially, like earlier mentioned by someone, our body must have got used to somethin and it might never get used to some other things. :roll:

I've lived in Asia for a while to see people don't get any skin reactions from ant or mizzie bites at all :awesome:

Return to “First Aid”