Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak

Post by mantis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:13 pm

I was looking at my preps and decided that I was pretty well covered in most areas but as far as first aid goes, I did not have much by way of the necessary supplies to deal with truly serious wounds such as stabs or gun shots. With that in mind, I purchased three of these kits to supplement my existing first aid preps:

These kits contain enough supplies to deal with a very serious wound, including a sucking chest wound and they contain full instructions in case it is me who has suffered the would and someone else needs to take action.

This shows the contents on the back of the sealed package. I also purchased six additional quick clot sponges. I have added one of these kits with two additional Quick Clot sponges to my bug out bag, my personal first aid kit in my tactical vest (basically a secondary bug out bag) and in the small first aid kit I carry in my range kit.

They cost around $24 on Amazon and seemed to be a good value. I hope never to have to use these kits but I am glad that I have them.

Can any of your medical professionals, first responders comment on these kits? Are they a good value? Keep in mind I do have a large family sized first aid kit in my BOB and extensive personal first aid kits in my vest and range bad - these were intended to supplement those kits with some trauma supplies not to replace them.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak

Post by teotwaki » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Good info! I often watch for these kits to go on sale. Another option is to buy just the sponge ($15~$16) and to provide the other items on your own

https://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Advance ... e_hpc?th=1

Jim
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm

teotwaki wrote:Good info! I often watch for these kits to go on sale. Another option is to buy just the sponge ($15~$16) and to provide the other items on your own

https://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Advance ... e_hpc?th=1

Jim
Good idea. I actually did buy some extra sponges to include in my kit.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:13 pm

I have several Adventure Medical Kits - they offer a good value for the product.

For a GSW - a very serious thing indeed -

Chinook Medical has 4 inch Israeli Bandages for under $7 (+ shipping) and the 6 inch for a few cents more.

Olaes 6 inch modular bandages are just over $7.

For those really bad days - they carry the HALO XL Trauma Dressing. It is a highly aggressive oversized transparent occlusive dressing designed primarily to cover larger blast wounds. The XL is an excellent occlusive dressing for large abdominal wounds, peppering chest wounds associated with IED blast injuries and secondary blast injuries (SBIs) along with securing other wound dressings. The patented hydro-gel provides superior adhesion to the wound area even when moisture, fluids, or blood is present. The XL also performs without loss of adhesion in extreme temperatures.
This is of interest to me as I live in Alaska. YMMV.
Cost is $20.21

An "H" compression bandage is $7.75 and offers additional features for compression @ wound site

A lower cost version of the Izzy - CMG Trauma Bandage Pro, 4" is only $3.95.

The kits shown in the OP are certainly a good thing to have, but for a blowout kit, I want everything in one 'device' - unless you plan on packing the wound with gauze, these have fewer things to fiddle with or drop. One and done.... Each of these bandages (or several) are lower in cost than your quoted ($24) and - IMO, easier to use.

A NOTE For any lurkers - for any serious trauma, additional training in dealing with that specific level/type of trauma is something I always recommend. Additional training is especially important if the intent is to deal with this type injury in the field.

I have purchased items from Chinook and do not hesitate to recommend them if looking for medical supplies.
(http://www.chinookmed.com/)
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:31 pm

this is a good ZS thread to read

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=117530
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:25 am

I like AMK's stuff, but they must have an interesting definition of "Trauma"

For starters, this kit is missing: tourniquets, compression bandages, QC gauze (verses the small QC pad), and dedicated chest seals (verses tape your own).

In my opinion it's $25 of "feel good" that might be able to patch up a laceration long enough to get emergency care.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

fatty21

Post by fatty21 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:30 am

Do u know of another kit that would be competitive in function and price murph? This discussion has lit a spark for me and will be looking around as well the rest of the day lol.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:52 pm

fatty21 wrote:Do u know of another kit that would be competitive in function and price murph? This discussion has lit a spark for me and will be looking around as well the rest of the day lol.
Considering the CAT TQ and the SOFTT-W TQ both retail for about $30 each. No.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Return to “First Aid”