FREE online CPR/1st Aid & more

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

FREE online CPR/1st Aid & more

Post by Chicago Zombie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Hello everybody!
I'm a big fan of free knowledge. :awesome:
I recently found some free online courses in:
CPR/AED/1st Aid,
Basic Life Support,
Advanced Cardiac Life Support, &
Pediatric Advanced Life Support-
through Canvas- an online learning website.

-These classes are FREE!
-They are online.
-It's open enrollment- so you can start them whenever you like, instead of waiting for a start/end date.
-And as of right now (I'm not sure how long this offer will last for) you can get a code from Canvas to be able to take a test on another website for a 2 year certification in whatever class/es you are enrolled in. The certification card is then emailed and/or mailed to you. The certification is sponsored by: Save a Life Initiative.

The way to get the free certification is to first sign up on Canvas for which class/es you want to take.
I was able to enroll fine on my phone. But I know somebody else that struggled to enroll on a computer.

Then, on the home page for the class you enrolled in -on your Canvas dashboard- will be an offer code (near the bottom of the page) for Canvas students- to test for free for a 2 year certification on another website. (At the end of the course you are also offered a code for 10% off certifications, use the 1st code instead for the free certification. The 10% off offer is the reason I'm thinking that this might be a limited time offer.)

So once you have completed the Canvas class, you go to the weblink that Canvas gives you on your homepage, pick the certification test that you want, put it in you cart & then enter the free certification offer (that was also on your Canvas class homepage) so that the price becomes zero. Finally take the certification test.

So far I've taken 3 of these classes & have already received my cards in the mail.

Here are the Canvas classes that I found, that currently have a free offer for a 2 year certification.

CPR/AED/1st Aid
https://www.canvas.net/browse/disquefou ... -first-aid

Basic Life Support (BLS)
https://www.canvas.net/courses/basic-life-support

Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
https://www.canvas.net/courses/advanced ... fe-support

Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
https://www.canvas.net/courses/pediatri ... fe-support

Yeah, I didn't post the exact code because this is a public forum, but now you have the knowledge to find it.
If you run into problems, you can send me a PM & I'll try to help you.
Good Luck & Happy Learning!
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Re: FREE online CPR/1st Aid & more

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:27 am

Nice find, checking this out now.

Are you a provider?
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:57 am

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:Nice find, checking this out now.

Are you a provider?
Im not a provider. Nor am I affiliated with Canvas or Save a Life Initiative.

I'm a CERT member & our renewal class for CPR/1st Aid- lands on a day I'm working. So I went on a search to find another option.
I was surprised & skeptical when I came across this.
I've been a long time Canvas class taker & they just happened to send me an email at the time I was looking.

BUT before I posted it here I had to test it out to see if it was for real. So I took a course, passed and got the downloadable cards right away. Then tried it on another course.
I still didn't want to post here until the paper cards arrived at my house, which they did last week.

But then I still didn't want to post until I found a non-Canvas member who was willing to sign up & take the classes too. And that happened yesterday :D
The trickiest part for him was trying to figure out how to get enrolled in Canvas. We had no problem over the phone, but the computer gave some issues.
In troubleshooting, we found out that you can join over the computer (at least his) if you had a join code- which was just the course number.
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am

Chicago Zombie wrote:
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:Nice find, checking this out now.

Are you a provider?
Im not a provider. Nor am I affiliated with Canvas or Save a Life Initiative.

I'm a CERT member & our renewal class for CPR/1st Aid- lands on a day I'm working. So I went on a search to find another option.
I was surprised & skeptical when I came across this.
I've been a long time Canvas class taker & they just happened to send me an email at the time I was looking.

BUT before I posted it here I had to test it out to see if it was for real. So I took a course, passed and got the downloadable cards right away. Then tried it on another course.
I still didn't want to post here until the paper cards arrived at my house, which they did last week.

But then I still didn't want to post until I found a non-Canvas member who was willing to sign up & take the classes too. And that happened yesterday :D
The trickiest part for him was trying to figure out how to get enrolled in Canvas. We had no problem over the phone, but the computer gave some issues.
In troubleshooting, we found out that you can join over the computer (at least his) if you had a join code- which was just the course number.
This looks cool.

So where can I get this join code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't care what you think of me. Unless you think I am awesome. In which case, you are right.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:40 am

You should be able to sign up from these links:

CPR/AED/1st Aid

Basic Life Support (BLS)

Once you click "enroll" it should ask for name/email & then an email should be sent to you with more info.

I'll look for the course code in the meantime.
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 am

Chicago Zombie wrote:You should be able to sign up from these links:

CPR/AED/1st Aid

Basic Life Support (BLS)

Once you click "enroll" it should ask for name/email & then an email should be sent to you with more info.

I'll look for the course code in the meantime.
Maybe I'm just impatient. It says I'm enrolled but apparently I still have to wait on the registering for the website email.

I don't care what you think of me. Unless you think I am awesome. In which case, you are right.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:44 am

In the upper left corner of my course homepage I see:
CN-1693

That might be the course code/join code.
Let us know what worked for you.
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:03 pm

Chicago Zombie wrote:Im not a provider. Nor am I affiliated with Canvas or Save a Life Initiative.
The reason I ask is because AHA(The American Heart Association) are the ones who oversee the Heartsaver, BLS, ALS, ACLS, PALS(and a ton of other medical alphabet soup) certifications and courses. This company, National Healthcare Providers Solutions, seems like they want to look and sound just like the AHA(even the logo is very similar). But as far as I can tell, the Canvas online programs sadly do not grant an AHA equivalent cert or CE credits for providers. I am going to take the courses they have just to check them out. Ill report back as to their accuracy and validity. Though a huge amount of ACLS course info wouldn't really apply to most layman as you wont have access to cardiac drugs or a 12 lead capable heart monitor. Still neat if you are into the sort of thing though.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

mattnall

Post by mattnall » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Tried to login with the first email received but not the second and hit the 'don't have a password' button and it sent another email with the password rest page link.

Works fine now. And you get the voucher code straight away.

You can take the examinations with the course material open in another window.

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:22 pm

mattnall wrote:Tried to login with the first email received but not the second and hit the 'don't have a password' button and it sent another email with the password rest page link.

Works fine now. And you get the voucher code straight away.

You can take the examinations with the course material open in another window.
Same here. I did the forgot password function and was finally able to access my dashboard. Doing the CPR BLS right now.

I'll reply back when I'm finished and get a card mailed.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:13 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
Chicago Zombie wrote:Im not a provider. Nor am I affiliated with Canvas or Save a Life Initiative.
The reason I ask is because AHA(The American Heart Association) are the ones who oversee the Heartsaver, BLS, ALS, ACLS, PALS(and a ton of other medical alphabet soup) certifications and courses. This company, National Healthcare Providers Solutions, seems like they want to look and sound just like the AHA(even the logo is very similar). But as far as I can tell, the Canvas online programs sadly do not grant an AHA equivalent cert or CE credits for providers. I am going to take the courses they have just to check them out. Ill report back as to their accuracy and validity. Though a huge amount of ACLS course info wouldn't really apply to most layman as you wont have access to cardiac drugs or a 12 lead capable heart monitor. Still neat if you are into the sort of thing though.
Thanks for the insight! :D
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

mattnall

Post by mattnall » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:54 am

I got a very official looking certificate and card emailed to me.

But then again, my son can make some very nice certificates and cards on Photoshop, doesn't make them recognised by those that need to recognise these things.

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Sun May 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Got my card in the mail a couple days ago. Soooo it definitely is free and you do get the documentation mailed to you.

Just don't know if my job will accept it since it's not American Heart Association approved.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon May 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Screw it. I actually think I used them in the past, I was in some foreign hell hole and my o-so above board employers wanted me to recert...... ill use them again. I have my own extremely negative view of the AHA ACLS and PALS "sections" so anytime they can get less money, yea. I'll fill the dam things out when I get home. AHA......what a pool of corrupt bullshit.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:14 am

It looks like this same group is offering free ebooks right now. If you miss this deal, good chances that it will cycle around free again...

Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification Provider Handbook & Review Questions

(39 pages)

https://www.amazon.com/Support-Certific ... entries*=0
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:15 am

And this Ebook is free right now too:

Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification Provider Handbook & Review Questions

(67 pages)

https://www.amazon.com/Pediatric-Advanc ... entries*=0
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 am

One more! Free Ebook right now:

CPR, AED & First Aid Provider Handbook

(88 pages)

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-AED-First-Pr ... B01EMCIF30
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

Return to “First Aid”