Wilderness medicine conference review

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

VXMerlinXV

Wilderness medicine conference review

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:05 am

Attended the 2016 MASWMC this past weekend, https://wildmed2016.com/, and I can not recommend it enough if you are looking for some decent field medical info, including a bit of hands on training. (Full disclosure, I have presented at this conference). Some takeaways from the various presentations that I found applicable to this forum:

1) Travel medicine presentation: Lower GI complications in less than optimal conditions (travel to South/Central America, South East Asia) can hit greater than 60% of the population. In disaster conditions, where unfamiliar pathogens get introduced, or sanitation and drinking water provision is sub-optimal, GI upset runs rampant in the magic 72 hours we pack for. This is important not just for planning on treating N/V/D or dehydration, but making hydration a medical consideration and practicing, regularly, cleaning drinking water.

2) Mountain medicine: Quick note, might be applicable for people who relocate to mountain areas in the wake of a regional disaster. Non-descript hangover-like symptoms, shortness of breath at rest, and neuro changes can all be signs of different manifestations of altitude sicknesses. These can hit rapidly, and while symptoms can be treated with meds, the most effective treatment is descent. If you plan on heading to your family's cabin an hour outside Denver, have a plan B in mind.

3) Ebola Relief case study: Ebola relief has shown the WHO is actually getting pretty good at setting up infectious disease treatment centers. But there is a TON of misinformation and social stigmas surrounding these events. Decent PPE and the ability to disinfect items is key in big disease outbreaks.

4) Animal bites: Bites from domestic animals can have the same, and in some instances higher, instances of infection than feral or wild animals. So what? Delaying care of an animal bite because it's domesticated, even maybe yours, due to increased demand on the healthcare system could be a dangerous decision.

5) Tactical Combat Casualty Care: Ok, first, the obvious. If you ever get the chance to take TCCC with two Special Forces medics, do it. Amazing presentation, great hands on portion, several great lessons learned. While I don't think tactical med and survival med are nearly synonymous as some people think, I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone into field medicine. Take away points:
A) Hyfin chest seals are legit. I've used ACS, BCS, and three-cornered petroleum gauze in the
past, and NONE of them performed at the level of the Hyfin. It adhered to sweaty, fake blood
covered, hairy chests well. I will be switching my occlusives to Hyfins starting now, until I find
something better.
B) The combat dressings are ok, but Ace and Kerlex are staples in the aid bag.
C) A lot of TCCC is good education, but TCCC is not really a replacement for a comprehensive first aid course.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Re: Wilderness medicine conference review

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:50 am

When and where is the next conference?
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:When and where is the next conference?
My thoughts exactly, I am sad that I somehow let this slip under my radar. I think I would have enjoyed and learned a lot from this. VXMerlinXV, do you guys have a mailing list I can signup for that has updates and info?
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:29 am

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:When and where is the next conference?
My thoughts exactly, I am sad that I somehow let this slip under my radar. I think I would have enjoyed and learned a lot from this. VXMerlinXV, do you guys have a mailing list I can signup for that has updates and info?
Diddo
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 am

I know there's a Facebook page, you might be able to subscribe and get updates through that. The conference is held every two years, I'm not sure where 2018 will be.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:19 pm

They said Hyfin specifically? That's strange. Did they mean just large conclusive ( non- vented) ? They more than likely did and Hyfin was what they were issued. Only 1 large Hyfin comes per pack. HALO comes with two. Another problem with the Hyfin is if they sit in the heat, they can't be removed from the backing. The occlusives you mention are " occlusive", but vented. We don't normally use those. The three sided taped went out about four years ago. I agree whole heartedly. Survival medicine is not Tactical Medicine.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:53 am

IANMCDEVITT wrote:They said Hyfin specifically? That's strange. Did they mean just large conclusive ( non- vented) ? They more than likely did and Hyfin was what they were issued. Only 1 large Hyfin comes per pack. HALO comes with two. Another problem with the Hyfin is if they sit in the heat, they can't be removed from the backing. The occlusives you mention are " occlusive", but vented. We don't normally use those. The three sided taped went out about four years ago. I agree whole heartedly. Survival medicine is not Tactical Medicine.
They said occlusive, but during the hands on portion we used Hyfin and HALO seals. Personally, I had the Hyfin singles and Hyfin twin pack to use mostly (we got whatever was in the Ifak of our patient) Out of the three, the Hyfin twin pack was my favorite. But yes, they did teach "occlusive" and we were exposed to a variety of products.

Return to “First Aid”