Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
johnstevens
*
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by johnstevens » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm looking for a comparison of the major hemostatic gauze brands: Celox vs Quikclot vs Chitogauze (All z-fold/x-ray). I'm curious about the effectiveness between the different brands? If there is any difference in the quality of the actual gauze itself? Any variance in the effective dates stamped onto them? Do you happen to have a preferred guaze?

I need to do a restock and most of the comparisons I've seen fall into the 2009-2013 range. Where are we at the end of 2015 heading into 16?

User avatar
JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by JIM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Quick-clot and celox have 2 different mechanism of operation. Kaolin ( qc active ingredient) activates factor XII in the coagulation cascade.

Celox directly makes red blood cells stick to each other, so it doesn't rely on the body's own coagulation cascade.

I carry celox rapid, which is z-folded impregnated gauze and requires only 1 minute of compression instead of the 3 minute standard. I think that is an advantage in non-extremity wounds that are less compressable.

Also the independent working of celox makes it usable in patient who are on anticoagulants and have clotting problems. Also hypothermia makes the coagulation cascade less effecient.

Here all medical helicopters carry CAT tourniquets and CELOX
Image

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

User avatar
Jorian
* * *
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Salida CO
Contact:

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by Jorian » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:41 pm

JIM wrote:Quick-clot and celox have 2 different mechanism of operation. Kaolin ( qc active ingredient) activates factor XII in the coagulation cascade.

Celox directly makes red blood cells stick to each other, so it doesn't rely on the body's own coagulation cascade.

I carry celox rapid, which is z-folded impregnated gauze and requires only 1 minute of compression instead of the 3 minute standard. I think that is an advantage in non-extremity wounds that are less compressable.

Also the independent working of celox makes it usable in patient who are on anticoagulants and have clotting problems. Also hypothermia makes the coagulation cascade less effecient.

Here all medical helicopters carry CAT tourniquets and CELOX
All good points. I'd add the Celox is somewhat easier on the post-trauma doc, being easier to irrigate out of the wound without causing a re-bleed, and any chitosan residue is safely metabolized.

User avatar
JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by JIM » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Indeed, also there has not been any reported anaphylactic reactions to the chitosan (essentially made from shellfish)
Image

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

User avatar
Jorian
* * *
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Salida CO
Contact:

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by Jorian » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:06 am

JIM wrote:Indeed, also there has not been any reported anaphylactic reactions to the chitosan (essentially made from shellfish)
Right - the allergenic components of the shrimp shells (from which chitosan is usually extracted) are entirely absent from the purified chitosan used in hemostatic agents.

An interesting side-note: I read a few years ago that the only terrestrial organism that produces chitosan is the puffball mushroom, and that Native Americans had been using them to stop bleeding for centuries.
Summer of 2014 I was running through the woods with my Golden Retriever puppy, and somehow got a small stick impaled in the back of my hand. When I removed it, the little hole in my hand wanted to bleed in a surprising manner, considering how small the wound was. I continued through the woods with a finger over the wound (mostly so I wouldn't get blood all over my clothes - it wasn't a dangerous bleed), and lo and behold, came upon some puffballs. They were mostly blown, but I thought "what the heck" - so I broke one open and smeared it over the back of my bleeding hand. Amazing - not one more drop of blood came out of the wound. Needless to say, I'm a fan!

User avatar
SteelWolf
* * *
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Prescott, AZ

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by SteelWolf » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:57 pm

QuikCLot has, in some patient's led to SEVERE Coagulopathy in the ICU setting, due to its Mechanism of Action, which can deplete clotting factors rapidly to form a clot. CELOX does not seem to have this issue.

As stated by others in this thread, CELOX works independently of the body's clotting cascade. So, in a bleeding patient (and remember each drop of blood is heat, oxygen, glucose [energy] and clotting factors leaving the body), CELOX would theoretically have the advantage.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:11 am

tag...
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
designerchick
* *
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Northern Louisiana

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by designerchick » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Is there such a thing as hemostatic bandages or smaller gauze than the quickclot, etc. varieties? Our youngest bleeds too much. It's not enough to get his pediatrician concerned, but it's enough to make me uncomfortable with it. For instance, he cut his finger on something in Lowe's (he's 5, very curious, and touches everything :roll: ). It wasn't deep or long, just a typical finger cut, but we went through 2 3x4 gauze to make it stop bleeding. I'd feel better if I could carry some small hemostatic gauze in my purse FAK.

User avatar
JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by JIM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:17 pm

designerchick wrote:Is there such a thing as hemostatic bandages or smaller gauze than the quickclot, etc. varieties? Our youngest bleeds too much. It's not enough to get his pediatrician concerned, but it's enough to make me uncomfortable with it. For instance, he cut his finger on something in Lowe's (he's 5, very curious, and touches everything :roll: ). It wasn't deep or long, just a typical finger cut, but we went through 2 3x4 gauze to make it stop bleeding. I'd feel better if I could carry some small hemostatic gauze in my purse FAK.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/192529 ... ting-gauze


http://www.redflarekits.com/celox-home

Both are very compact, but with the celox you need to carry a gauze pad as well.
Image

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

User avatar
designerchick
* *
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Northern Louisiana

Re: Hemostatic Gauze Comparison?

Post by designerchick » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Thank you!

Post Reply

Return to “First Aid”