Behold!

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Behold!

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 pm

Those familiar with this will know what it means. :)

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

abelru

Re: Behold!

Post by abelru » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:53 am

Outstanding control, sir!!!

Well done and keep up the good work. Future you will thank you!
Orbes volantes exstare!!!

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:58 am

abelru wrote:Outstanding control, sir!!!

Well done and keep up the good work. Future you will thank you!
As will the toes you keep
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks everyone. 5 months ago my fasting was in the 280's now I can get 80's or even 70's two hours after eating no meds. Ok it can be higher after eating depending on the meal but hardly ever see above 115. Don't even ask what my after meal numbers were before. :shock: The doctor said my improvement was 1-100 patients. Odds are the training with my back pack helped which has been hardcore. That and avoiding bread, potato, pasta, processed foods, soda etc etc etc. Haven't had juice, soda or anything in a box for 5 months. On a side note despite eating all the fat I want my cholesterol plunged. Blood pressure plunged.

Tell you one thing. High blood sugar really put the hurt on until I worked out what was going one. Fungal infections, swelling feet, numb feet and hands, blurry vision, weight gain, low energy, pissing like a horse. Dang it was f@cked up. Just some observations.

1. Fruit despite having sugar doesn't raise my blood sugar all that much with oranges being the exception.

2. Sweet potato despite the name are better than regular potatoes.

3. Get your blood sugar and pressure checked.

4. It's what you eat, not the quantity which seem to matter. A bag of pretzels has the calories of two packs of bacon. I used to eat a bag in two days. Haven't had one in months but just ate 4 strips of bacon with eggs and cheese. Lower cholesterol. So much for what I was taught growing up.

5. Low blood sugar and pressure = amazing energy and stamina.

6. Don't let people push meds on you until a real effort for self improvement is made. One doctor said with numbers like mine back in December I would need meds. I said no thanks. Now if I couldn't get results or if it was necessary immediately that's another thing. Too many people are just looking for a pill to solve their problems.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Thanks everyone. 5 months ago my fasting was in the 280's now I can get 80's or even 70's two hours after eating no meds. Ok it can be higher after eating depending on the meal but hardly ever see above 115. Don't even ask what my after meal numbers were before. :shock: The doctor said my improvement was 1-100 patients. Odds are the training with my back pack helped which has been hardcore. That and avoiding bread, potato, pasta, processed foods, soda etc etc etc. Haven't had juice, soda or anything in a box for 5 months. On a side note despite eating all the fat I want my cholesterol plunged. Blood pressure plunged.

Tell you one thing. High blood sugar really put the hurt on until I worked out what was going one. Fungal infections, swelling feet, numb feet and hands, blurry vision, weight gain, low energy, pissing like a horse. Dang it was f@cked up. Just some observations.

1. Fruit despite having sugar doesn't raise my blood sugar all that much with oranges being the exception.

4. It's what you eat, not the quantity which seem to matter. A bag of pretzels has the calories of two packs of bacon. I used to eat a bag in two days. Haven't had one in months but just ate 4 strips of bacon with eggs and cheese. Lower cholesterol. So much for what I was taught growing up.

6. Don't let people push meds on you until a real effort for self improvement is made. One doctor said with numbers like mine back in December I would need meds. I said no thanks. Now if I couldn't get results or if it was necessary immediately that's another thing. Too many people are just looking for a pill to solve their problems.
same thing from another source:
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230185
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Great job WW! I feel the same way, don't take meds unless live threatening and try to change your habits. If that does fix it then sure meds may be needed. Great improvement!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:33 pm

aikorob wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Thanks everyone. 5 months ago my fasting was in the 280's now I can get 80's or even 70's two hours after eating no meds. Ok it can be higher after eating depending on the meal but hardly ever see above 115. Don't even ask what my after meal numbers were before. :shock: The doctor said my improvement was 1-100 patients. Odds are the training with my back pack helped which has been hardcore. That and avoiding bread, potato, pasta, processed foods, soda etc etc etc. Haven't had juice, soda or anything in a box for 5 months. On a side note despite eating all the fat I want my cholesterol plunged. Blood pressure plunged.

same thing from another source:
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230185

Shit. I could have just used Google and avoided all the work of actually doing it. :lol:

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:56 pm

A few months ago my a1c came back as 5.6 which is down from 13. My advice is don't let your blood sugar get to an a1c OF 13. :lol: Played around with my meter to see how various things would affect me. Tested right after eating then a bit before 2 hours. The next day in the AM then 2 hours after eating.

117 then fell to 105. Woke up with 73 then 78 two hours after eating. Clearly my system is annihilating excess blood sugar very fast. No meds or anything like that. This is in stark contrast to before when it would just sit in the 200's spiking to nosebleed levels. Then again I jogged a total of 40 miles on dirt roads last week and have been trail running up hills for miles each day this week. Probably the lower resting heart rate is helping with that from the 90's to the 60's.

painiac

Post by painiac » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:34 am

Woods Walker wrote: On a side note despite eating all the fat I want my cholesterol plunged.
Evidence is piling up that the amount of fat you eat have little to no correlation with the amount of fat in your blood. That's because the fat you eat is digested, not deposited into your bloodstream. Eating high amounts of sugars, though, DOES have a strong correlation with the amount of fat in your blood. The physiology of metabolism is complex, but basically the extra sugar is packaged up in your bloodstream as triglycerides (fats) for transport and storage.

And it won't. Fruits do contain sugar (fructose, primarily), but fruits also contain a lot of fiber. Fiber slows down the digestion, so the sugar trickles into your bloodstream instead of dumping in fast and causing a spike like an equal amount of, say, syrup or soft drink. Fruit JUICES, however, contain no fiber and are arguably not much better for you than an equally-caloric amount of soft drink.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 am

Woods Walker,

Could you run this down for those of us (okay, it might only be me) who don't know the situation? I'm guessing glucose monitor but have no idea of the significance of the numbers other than low must be good.

Thanks,

KYZ
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:15 am

KYZHunters wrote:Woods Walker,

Could you run this down for those of us (okay, it might only be me) who don't know the situation? I'm guessing glucose monitor but have no idea of the significance of the numbers other than low must be good.

Thanks,

KYZ
These numbers mean his diabetes is not just controlled, but controlled very well. His glucose levels are all within normal limits.
Johnathan
AHA ACLS, PALS, BLS Training Center Faculty

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:56 pm

weatherdude wrote:

Thanks,

KYZ
These numbers mean his diabetes is not just controlled, but controlled very well. His glucose levels are all within normal limits.
That about sums it up. For the last two days...

10-16 at 8:27 PM 95 mg/dl
10-16 at 7:58 AM 82 mg/dl
10-15 at 8:50 PM 78 mg/dl
10-15 at 9:19 AM 73 mg/dl

The following are All Results AVG. These include occasional intra day testing and experiments plus first thing in the AM and two hours after my last meal of the day.

7 day is 93 mg/dl
14 day is 92 mg/dl
30 day is 94 mg/dl

The history is through my own poor habits and some family background I got type 2. Ok the RN tried to give me some mumbo jumbo about it not being my fault however told her thanks for putting a nice spin on things but the fault was mine alone. :lol: Gotta tell you an A1C of 13 really can put the hurt on in so many ways. Everything from the toenails up to the eyes. Won't even talk about the fungus all over (even under the arms and worse but you really, I mean really don't want to know about that) and swelling of the feet. Oh and there is the funky pain and numbness. It's a train wreck.

I think my outdoor survivalist hobby really helped. The training has only gotten more intense and to some degree ridiculous. Do I really need to be running more than 12 miles at a time or hiking up hills with 5 gallon water cooler bottles in my pack? Probably not. In anycase if my back wasn't up against the wall I wouldn't have acted. So oddly enough this has only made me stronger. Well for now anyways as the future is always unknown.

The bottom line is the rumors are true. Eating junk and not moving enough doesn't end well. If you're looking in the mirror and don't like the reflection do something about it. The gains more than makes up for what's sacrificed. Follow your doctor's and/or RN's advice however do your part as well. Issues like hypertension and high blood sugar can kill. No actually it's worse than that. Maybe a life changing stroke or they will cut off your extremities one at a time. Start with a foot then take the leg. Heck why end with just one foot? Not joking about this as seen it happen to other people. Heck I could hardly walk last summer for weeks before finally dealing with the issue.

It would have been easier to take metformin or even insulin as these options were on the table but decided that would only happen after giving my best effort. So far it has been a good call. Beyond being able to now run for miles and miles on trails up and down hills there are the really good toenails. :roll: Ok.. ok..... that sounds goofy but when those are ingrown, painful, off colored and fungus city it just sucks. Now they're about perfect just like 15 years ago. What's next? X-ray vision. :lol:
Last edited by Woods Walker on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 pm

painiac wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: On a side note despite eating all the fat I want my cholesterol plunged.
Evidence is piling up that the amount of fat you eat have little to no correlation with the amount of fat in your blood. That's because the fat you eat is digested, not deposited into your bloodstream. Eating high amounts of sugars, though, DOES have a strong correlation with the amount of fat in your blood. The physiology of metabolism is complex, but basically the extra sugar is packaged up in your bloodstream as triglycerides (fats) for transport and storage.

And it won't. Fruits do contain sugar (fructose, primarily), but fruits also contain a lot of fiber. Fiber slows down the digestion, so the sugar trickles into your bloodstream instead of dumping in fast and causing a spike like an equal amount of, say, syrup or soft drink. Fruit JUICES, however, contain no fiber and are arguably not much better for you than an equally-caloric amount of soft drink.
I don't drink fruit juices at all. Dried fruit is off the menu as well. Apples are my go to fruit which is nice as we have them wild. Well not native but run aways from long forgotten orchards.

hughntx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by hughntx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Very good job keeping it under control! I've had diabetes in my family and I know how difficult it can be to avoid spikes, so congrats.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:06 pm

New breakthrough. 7 day average of 85. This includes all pre and post meal testing. I didn't think that was possible but apparently it is. Also jogged 7.25 miles today in the snow showers. Resting heart rate has fallen to an official athletic level of 60 (for my age group) from a "poor" of the 90's. Guess that's why I hardly felt the 7-mile trail jog.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:07 pm

hughntx wrote:Very good job keeping it under control! I've had diabetes in my family and I know how difficult it can be to avoid spikes, so congrats.
It's a knife fight in a phone booth. :lol: Thanks brother.

chrispy

Post by chrispy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Well done Woods Walker!! I too, have done a similar journey. I recognised insulin resistance about 15 months ago, lost 16kg, got fit, got rid of a lot of processed foods in my diet.

I have yet to repeat the A1c, but I was borderline. I have two friend who are Endocrinologists, who have kept an eye on my progress, and they are pretty happy with the results.

Sweet potato are the go, as are apples. I used a spin bike, primarily as my exercise. Mainly as a post apocalyptic mode of transport the bike seems to be perfect. And, in my neighbourhood, a cyclist is a prime target for idiot drivers. Anyway, I am fit, lean, and more ready than ever!

Chrispy

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 pm

weatherdude wrote:

Thanks,

KYZ
It's actually more impressive than that. His A1c (average blood sugar over last 3 months) is not just controlled for a diabetic, not just down into the "pre-diabetic" range, but NORMAL. (OK, exactly the upper limit of normal, but it's still completely fucking impressive especially given where he started out (really uncontrolled diabetes)). Absolutely awesome, and a fantastic example that eating and activity are the two single most important drivers of blood sugar for most type 2 diabetics.

Props to chrispy as well!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Sometimes a meter will do funky things. In Florida last month it didn't get enough blood and read 275. I haven't see high numbers like that from the the start of this so tested again and it was 110. Here is something interesting.

Technically 105 would be a slightly higher number (though not damaging) than one might want first thing in the AM. Still I was suspicious as ran in the high 80's the night before a few hours after eating. Ok I had a big meal but really once lower it often stays there. The notable exception is if I totally miss sleep such as leaving really early in the AM and staying awake the night. So tested again an hour later and the number fell to what I expected.

This isn't to say the AM number will always be lower if there is enough sleep etc.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 pm

duodecima wrote:
weatherdude wrote:

Thanks,

KYZ
It's actually more impressive than that. His A1c (average blood sugar over last 3 months) is not just controlled for a diabetic, not just down into the "pre-diabetic" range, but NORMAL. (OK, exactly the upper limit of normal, but it's still completely fucking impressive especially given where he started out (really uncontrolled diabetes)). Absolutely awesome, and a fantastic example that eating and activity are the two single most important drivers of blood sugar for most type 2 diabetics.

Props to chrispy as well!
Thanks brother. The doc told me I was his only patient who pulled it off without meds. I ran 5.25 miles today and kept the diet good as always. My fear is during a Zombie outbreak I will be hold up in a Hostess delivery truck. I would be in trouble. :lol:

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:59 pm

So went out for a large late lunch at Ruby Tuesday with some family. Ate all I could and four hours later my blood sugar was 81. How?

Here is how. I ate the Classic Quesadilla Combo with salad bar. The quesadilla has a nasty carb fried tortilla covering but when you really add it all up the total weight of the processed carbs couldn't have been more than an ounce. Yes it's full of cheese and fat but blood sugar is my concern. I avoided the cheddar biscuits because eating them is pointless and negative for diabetic issues. I ate only none starchy stuff from the salad bar. No potato salad, no peas, no questionable dressing other than oil and vinegar. Ate whatever else, two full plates of it in addition to the quesadilla.

I hate the shopping mall but had shorts, running shoes and shirt in the van. Yup, my escape was planned and there is time for exercise if you make it. Knew of a jogging path 15 minutes away. Ran 3-miles (all that this little sliver of time would allow) and was back in under an hour. I hate the mall but was called back to the evil place. Ok it's not a long run and doing so just after eating wasn't the best however it absolutely annihilated the blood sugar. Tested my blood pressure just for fun when we all stopped at the pharmacy (a family member just got hit by a tick) to pick up some antibiotics. 107/74.

Ok it would be easier to ignore the issue. But the problem is the issue isn't going to ignore anyone. When the bell rings and whistle blows go over the top into the teeth of no man's land or cower in the trench, either way the fight is coming. Better to fix bayonets and charge so at least it's on your terms.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Diabetes has been officially (per my doctor) beaten per my latest test and comparison with the past. Went in late last month to see the lan results. He didn't bother to order another a1c as there wasn't a point. It's no wonder as here are my average numbers which include post meal and fasting (first thing in the am). My decision not to take meds paid off.

Going to continue to eat clean, test now and then with the meter and work out. It's beatable in some cases but requires a total life change.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 pm

That is awesome news, Kickass man!
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Return to “First Aid”