I need your opinion on developing a First Aid Course

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Seahorsewhisperer

I need your opinion on developing a First Aid Course

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm Chris. This is my first post ever. I need opinions on developing a first aid course. here is the situation. My background is mostly in Combat Medicine as a Combat Medic then Medical Officer in the Army. In the civilian world I was an EMT-I, CFF2, etc..... I am pretty confident about my medical skills.

I currently work as the Safety and Risk manager for a Non Profit that builds schools in austere locations in developing countries. My Team leaders are all Wilderness First Aid Responders, so I am covered on that aspect. Where I am not covered is in my in country staff. I want to just deal with the basics and with the most common injuries and illnesses that we deal with.

Below is a list I put together off the top of my head of topics I would like to cover in a two day course. The conditions we operate in are usually 4-6 hours from the nearest medical facility over rough terrain, river crossings, and unimproved roads.

What would you add or take away from this list and why? I did not include CPR for two reasons. (1)-I am no longer an instructor and (2) if you need CPR 4 hours from a hospital, your dead.

1. Patient Assessment
2. Central Nervous System
3. Respiratory
4. PM
a. Vector Control
b.
c. Diseases
i. Ebola
ii. HIV
iii. Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya
5. Patient Transport
6. Other
7. Burns
8. Splinting
9. Heat injury
10. Allergic reactions
11. Seizures
12. GI
13. Eye injury
14. Irrigate the eye
15. Circulation
16. Bleeding control
17. Cleaning wounds
18. Bandaging
19. Splinting
20. Snakebite
21. Animal Bites
Just a guy

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Re: I need your opinion on developing a First Aid Course

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:08 pm

That looks like a pretty solid list for a two day course. Personally, I find anything more than that on such a short period of time and you end up running into a "Firehose of knowledge" effect where the information is relayed but does not necessarily stick in the student's mind.

Only thing I can think to add would be to touch on some "personal hygiene" topics as a way of maintaining one's health in non-1st world conditions. It always surprises me how many people in this country weren't raised with the knowledge to not sneeze into their hands, keeping their hands properly washed and clean in general(and not just with "magic bullet" :roll: hand sanitizer), avoiding touching their face, keeping their feet dry and changing their socks whenever possible, etc.....

Also try to do as much hands on stuff as possible, 'death by powerpoint' is a terrible way to spend two days of your life as a student.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for the input. Good call on the hygeine portion. I will put that under PM.

I did a teleconference on ebola with my West African countries and I really focused on hand washing. It never hurts for them to hear it again. But I also told them not to touch dead people or eat bats. Which are two things I never need told not to do. :)
Just a guy

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 am

Condoms and STDs... trust me, I'm a whore.

I tease, the list looks good by me but your credentials makes taking advice from me like having a pilot ask a kid how to fly a plane. I like the hygiene comment, probably the most important.

Probably the better first aid and CPR course I took that had good info without being overwhelming is the National Safety Council. It's the most recent certification I had, and it was pretty decent, so their curriculum might be a good judge even though it is relatively standard.

Also, if you're building schools, I would look at industrial first aid: electricity, power tool safety and heav machinery safety, what if someone is being shocked, how to deal with it, Emergenc Defib units, etc
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Good point on the industrial accidents. On these build sites there aren't any power tools though. There isn't even electricity so we don't have to worry about that. Its straight up old school mixing cement on the ground with sand and water from the closest river. Its pretty cool to see the building form without any electricity. Some of the countries even make their own cement bricks where we can't haul in cinder blocks.
Just a guy

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 pm

I've got a bunch of thoughts hinge on one key point - the OP is working with projects and people in what I have come to see called "resource-constrained" situations. It sounds like they are in a wide variety of locations and situations on different continents, even.

1) Courses developed for the first world likely have some irrelevant portions - I'm guessing the entire defibrillator issue is a non-issue. (Correct me if I'm wrong!!!) CPR is less useful (not useless, just less useful!) in situations where high-level "definitive" care is remote to nonexistent. It may or may not be where the OP wants to spend time and resources with their staff. I did a little digging around and found this WHO training manual for local community health folks - this is module 2, in English (French and Arabic also online), which includes chapter 6 - Emergency Planning and Chapter 7 - First Aid. It's written with conditions in mind that are probably closer to what the OP's staff are dealing with. (big file, takes a bit to load!) The chapters on hygiene and food safety probably aren't irrelevant.
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1066 ... 8.pdf?ua=1

2)Just a thought, OP, and you may well already have done this! Do you have the time to ask the local staff what kinds of things they forsee might come up, and what they feel well trained for vs not? They live there, after all, they've probably got some kind of ideas. Even if they're not as well trained as they think on something, it's always useful to know what they themselves feel their deficiencies and strengths are.

Just some thoughts, good luck and bless you and yours, OP!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:25 am

That link is pretty awesome! Im for sure going to use that as a resource. THANKS

Good point on seeing what they know already and I would be interested to see how they treat certain illnesses or injuries.
Just a guy

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:35 am

Seahorsewhisperer wrote:Good point on the industrial accidents. On these build sites there aren't any power tools though. There isn't even electricity so we don't have to worry about that. Its straight up old school mixing cement on the ground with sand and water from the closest river. Its pretty cool to see the building form without any electricity. Some of the countries even make their own cement bricks where we can't haul in cinder blocks.
OK, makes sense. I was picturing basic power-tools/equipment being brought in through your group. Looks like I assumed wrong!!
duodecima wrote:I'm guessing the entire defibrillator issue is a non-issue
With Defib Units being the size of shoe boxes now-a-days, I was thinking the may have one on hand. But I'm sure the legalities/regulations over there require none on the work site and you're probably right in there not being a need. But as always, you are the pro so I will refer to your judgement
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:31 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:With Defib Units being the size of shoe boxes now-a-days, I was thinking the may have one on hand. But I'm sure the legalities/regulations over there require none on the work site and you're probably right in there not being a need. But as always, you are the pro so I will refer to your judgement
AED(Automated External Defibrillator) units are very portable and surprisingly easy to use, the issue comes in when you don't have reasonable access to definitive care(Such as a Hospital, specifically one that specializes in Cardiology). Sadly, people don't just get shocked, wake up, and then recover, there are a lot of advanced medical interventions that go on from the moment you find a shockable rhythm to when the patient is able walk out of the hospital.

In the first world, High Quality CPR and the early application of an AED unit truly can save lives because it allows providers like myself to kick the GrimReaper in the nuts and keep our patients alive long enough to get them to a hospital which can then give them the high quality post arrest care they need. But sadly, without that post incident definitive care, chances of saving a life are very low and highly rare. Hell.... even with all the advances in CPR and easy access AEDs, just because we deliver a patient to the ER doors with a heartbeat doesn't guarantee that they will ever leave that building alive.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:50 pm

I agree. I have done CPR over 30 times, with and without an AED. None of them lived more than 12 hours. It just opens a small window of hope, and unless they are in an ER or ATLS Rig at the time, odds are pretty low. However, I think it could be beneficial on lightning/electrocution patients where their disrythmia was caused by an electrical event, but that pretty rare.
Just a guy

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:20 pm

What does the transport plan look like for one of these sights? Your highest level of cert on site is WFR? They and off to the local hospital?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 pm

The content you posted is most definitely NOT a two day course. Where are you and Ill help you? Unless your NGO has some kind of major OPSEC? I've been to most vacation spots on the planet so did I miss you give your general location? I can only get on here for a few minutes each day, maybe.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Ok, forget it. Just from re reading your list I'm pretty sure I know where you are, contact me offline via email if you want or need help.

N01

Post by N01 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:13 pm

I Have some experience in this case,
jou va to split everything up in groups
HIV,ebola, dengue ,... Are viral infections witch means antibiotics
Will not help, the best you can do is isolating suspicous cases , infected people and healthy people.
Take care of good hygiene and burn the dead people
Later this week I come back on this

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Wish you the best.
Zombies don't ski.

Return to “First Aid”