3rd world anesthesia machine

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

3rd world anesthesia machine

Post by duodecima » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:58 am

So a surgeon who had been working Malawi, tired of having donated anesthesia machines sitting around useless because the surgery didn't have power and/or oxygen at a given time, started tinkering with them. He came up with a anesthesia machine that does use power and oxygen when/if available, but can be run by hand on room air as well.

Not something for the bug out bag, and you'd still need the nifty drugs to stock it with (as well as the battery for the monitor), but it struck me as disaster-relevant.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2 ... no-problem
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: 3rd world anesthesia machine

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 pm

I remember reading an article about this a while back. The big emphasis of the article was how completely inappropriate standard anesthesia machines are for third world applications from a design standpoint. Not only do they depend on electricity and supplemental oxygen, but they're so complex that a high degree of skill/training is needed to both operate them and keep them running. Even the choice of fasteners that go into the typical modern anesthesia is a real barrier to a rural hospitals without specialized repair tools.

It was the complete design philosophy behind this invention that really fascinated me. If anyone's interested, there's an excellent TED talk about this invention. http://www.ted.com/talks/erica_frenkel_ ... anguage=en

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 pm

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Even the choice of fasteners that go into the typical modern anesthesia is a real barrier to a rural hospitals without specialized repair tools.
the perceved liability is a MAJOR barrier for hospitals to take on the repair of anesthesia, and other specilities. sure teh Anesthetic Agent Analyzer is about $6k, but in the medical world that really isn't that much.

the TED talk was interesting, but when she was talking about the 'scrap heap' (at 5:30) that teh parts were taken from, she has a slide of equipment mostly from a labor and delevery department. there is a radient infant warmmer on the left front, i think a suction unit next to it, right behind that are a couple of infant incubaters, the thing with a screen in the back looks to be a C-arm.

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 am

Anesthesia machines are a luxury item. You can make it as simple or as complex as you wish.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... po=3.84615

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:01 am

Ether, ether mask and an ambu bag. pretty lightweight. Has it's risks but it is better than nothing in some cases.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Return to “First Aid”