Trauma Kit

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

acropolis5

Trauma Kit

Post by acropolis5 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Many thanx for the good advice. I read the article, as well. A bit above my skill level, but I think I got the important parts. I've kept an Asherman, 33" Gorilla tape(2"), and a decompression needle in my small "trauma Kit". I mainly keep the needle for use by someone with the required skill level. I've also included a TK-4 tourniquet, compressed crinkle gauze, 25gr. Quik Clot sponge, roll of 3" Coban, 8" x5" Combine dressing, 4" x10" ThinCinch dressing and a pair of nitrile gloves. It all fits in a heavy duty, 5"x8" zip-lock bag. That along with vial of common OTC med.s, including chewable aspirin, and a "boo-boo" kit, in a 3"x5" bag, are my EDC bag first-aid-kit.

weatherdude

Re: Trauma Kit

Post by weatherdude » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:44 pm

acropolis5 wrote:Many thanx for the good advice. I read the article, as well. A bit above my skill level, but I think I got the important parts. I've kept an Asherman, 33" Gorilla tape(2"), and a decompression needle in my small "trauma Kit". I mainly keep the needle for use by someone with the required skill level. I've also included a TK-4 tourniquet, compressed crinkle gauze, 25gr. Quik Clot sponge, roll of 3" Coban, 8" x5" Combine dressing, 4" x10" ThinCinch dressing and a pair of nitrile gloves. It all fits in a heavy duty, 5"x8" zip-lock bag. That along with vial of common OTC med.s, including chewable aspirin, and a "boo-boo" kit, in a 3"x5" bag, are my EDC bag first-aid-kit.
Get a better TQ....TK-4s SUCK.....go with a SOF-T or CAT.
Johnathan
AHA ACLS, PALS, BLS Training Center Faculty

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Weatherdude: The relative merits of thee TK-3/4 seems to raise a lot of strong feelings on both sides. The first time I read the "it sucks" criticism, I researched the available on-line studies, including one done for the armed forces. Everything I read rated the TK -4, highly and easiest to store and apply. Can you share the basis for your opposite opinion? Many years ago, as a volunteer EMT, I managed to effectively tourniquet the almost severed leg of a bus driver with a medium size thickness of latex tubing. He lived to leave the hospital, minus the leg. So I know it worked. The TK -4 should be better, IMO. What say you? P.S. I left out of the Trauma Kit list the 28 French nasal airway, that's also packed.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:14 pm

My assessment of the TK4 is that it doesn't give enough compression without narrowing down and potentially causing tissue damage. It's not something I'd want to apply when the ETA for higher echelon care is a big question mark. Better than nothing, but I'd rather have a CAT, because it's what I'm familiar with.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:26 am

acropolis5 wrote:Weatherdude: The relative merits of thee TK-3/4 seems to raise a lot of strong feelings on both sides. The first time I read the "it sucks" criticism, I researched the available on-line studies, including one done for the armed forces. Everything I read rated the TK -4, highly and easiest to store and apply. Can you share the basis for your opposite opinion? Many years ago, as a volunteer EMT, I managed to effectively tourniquet the almost severed leg of a bus driver with a medium size thickness of latex tubing. He lived to leave the hospital, minus the leg. So I know it worked. The TK -4 should be better, IMO. What say you? P.S. I left out of the Trauma Kit list the 28 French nasal airway, that's also packed.
Not sure what "studies" those are, but here are two research studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16263675
http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRec ... =ADA480501

And if you don't like big words and data here is a decent run down of things:
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/n ... ated-equal

I own a number of different TQs. I've found that the elastic/rubber based TQs are both harder to apply and don't work as well (completely stop my pulse.) I'd suggest reading up on it, evaluating multiple products yourself, and making an educated decision. Saying a shitty TQ could work better than an improvised TQ isn't exactly informed "Science!".
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:10 pm

acropolis5 wrote: Many years ago, as a volunteer EMT, I managed to effectively tourniquet the almost severed leg of a bus driver with a medium size thickness of latex tubing.
You stopped an amputated leg's arterial bleeding with a length of surgical tubing?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Murph wrote:I own a number of different TQs. I've found that the elastic/rubber based TQs are both harder to apply and don't work as well (completely stop my pulse.)
Concur with the above.

I use a SWAT-T at work because it's what we're issued.

I have a CAT in my own FAK's because I think they are easier to apply (especially to yourself, and especially one-handed) and work better.

YMMV.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 am

vXmerlinXV, Yes I/we did. I was lead Crew Chief. It was early 1970s. It amazed me even then. The driver had crashed into the Semi ahead. It was an old flat front bus. The dashboard had just about cut his leg off. The tubing was our only tourniquet. We got it on skin and used the mouth block, i.e. 3 wooden young depressors, wrapped with a 4"x4" and taped over, as a windlass. We also applied pressure bandages. Then the FD cut him free. We had stretcher, at the ready, loaded him and had him to hospital in 3-4 minutes. It is a very urban area. Perhaps the crush injury helped to occlude the artery. I don't know. But it worked

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:08 am

acropolis5 wrote:vXmerlinXV, Yes I/we did. I was lead Crew Chief. It was early 1970s. It amazed me even then. The driver had crashed into the Semi ahead. It was an old flat front bus. The dashboard had just about cut his leg off. The tubing was our only tourniquet. We got it on skin and used the mouth block, i.e. 3 wooden young depressors, wrapped with a 4"x4" and taped over, as a windlass. We also applied pressure bandages. Then the FD cut him free. We had stretcher, at the ready, loaded him and had him to hospital in 3-4 minutes. It is a very urban area. Perhaps the crush injury helped to occlude the artery. I don't know. But it worked
Nice work! Maybe surgical tubing was stiffer in the 70's?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Return to “First Aid”