Gloves:

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Laevatein
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Gloves:

Post by Laevatein » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

If you are going to be out there in the gore,
there's really nothing better than the 'Ringers'
extraction gloves.
'oderint dum metuant'

brewmeister

Re: Gloves:

Post by brewmeister » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm

Are you referring to their "Barrier" extrication gloves that provides protection from fluids? If so, those, IMHO, are junk and a waste of money. You lose tactile dexterity compared to their non-barrier gloves and basically feels like you're wearing bunker gloves.

At the firehouse, we would simply wear a pair of nitrile gloves under our extrication gloves. Cheaper and works better for extrication and patient care.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:13 am

I use black rubber kitchen/gardening gloves.

Which come with disposability.

Actually a step up from what I use. I will have to look.
http://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/09828 ... mor-3041-l

These are the ones I use.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/sho ... xtra-large

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:07 am

Weird, you mentioned "in the gore" and I was thinking the link was going to show some sort of new neoprene surgical glove. No offense to you or that company, but those prices are kind of steep for pretty much something you can buy in Home Depot. I have done a lot of construction, demo, and heavy brush work in my life, and a pair of basic West Chester leather gloves always seems to work best. Just add some surgical gloves underneath for blood borne pathogens and you are good to go.

Laevatein

Post by Laevatein » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm

brewmeister wrote:Are you referring to their "Barrier" extrication gloves that provides protection from fluids? If so, those, IMHO, are junk and a waste of money. You lose tactile dexterity compared to their non-barrier gloves and basically feels like you're wearing bunker gloves.

At the firehouse, we would simply wear a pair of nitrile gloves under our extrication gloves. Cheaper and works better for extrication and patient care.

My gloves fit perfectly and manual dexterity isn't really a problem for me; we all have
different hands, and you should go with whatever works.

brewmeister

Post by brewmeister » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Laevatein wrote:

My gloves fit perfectly and manual dexterity isn't really a problem for me; we all have
I agree, whichever one works for you. Another issue that we found was that once our hands start sweating and you take your gloves off, it's a pain in the butt trying to put them back on, as the wet liner kinda comes out with your hand and is a pain to put back in until it dried. It sucked when you dropped back to back MVC runs. Did you ever have that problem? We just felt that it wasn't worth the $60 that Ringers want for them. YMMV.

Laevatein

Post by Laevatein » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 pm

brewmeister wrote:
Laevatein wrote:

I agree, whichever one works for you. Another issue that we found was that once our hands start sweating and you take your gloves off, it's a pain in the butt trying to put them back on, as the wet liner kinda comes out with your hand and is a pain to put back in until it dried. It sucked when you dropped back to back MVC runs. Did you ever have that problem? We just felt that it wasn't worth the $60 that Ringers want for them. YMMV.
I use very thin liners in my gloves that dry very quickly.
To me the fact that their kevlar, nomex and waterproof
make all the difference to me. I'd rather clear the remains
of a windshield with these gloves than any other.
I have barbed wire gloves, and they would do just fine,
but they totally impractical for a rescue glove. <G>
'oderint dum metuant'

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:30 am

Laevatein wrote:
brewmeister wrote:
Laevatein wrote:

I use very thin liners in my gloves that dry very quickly.
To me the fact that their kevlar, nomex and waterproof
make all the difference to me. I'd rather clear the remains
of a windshield with these gloves than any other.
I have barbed wire gloves, and they would do just fine,
but they totally impractical for a rescue glove. <G>
I wasn't a fan. The basic mechpro or mechanix gloves are my preference, at 1/3 the price.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Return to “First Aid”