you have it and carry it, do you know how to use it?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Re: you have it and carry it, do you know how to use it?

Post by angelofwar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 am

Hope yer state has "Good Samaritan" Laws...my Sis is an LPN, and they're taught about "Scope of Practice"...and she knows I'm a gear Junky (FAK's included). And while I am a certified instructor, it's for military first aid...gun shot wounds, care under fire, tourniquets, sucking chest wounds...adn we're taught to improvise. Don't have an asherman chest seal? Use a plastic bag. I know how to use everything in my kit, and wouldn't have anything I didn't know how o use. I would THINK, in a court of law, that having had military training on doing it, and teaching, that I would be protected under "Scope of Practice", as long as I'm only attempting what I've been taught. I'm not going to to try and run an IV...but I will insert a nasalpharengynal airway.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

okiebill

Post by okiebill » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 pm

angelofwar wrote:Hope yer state has "Good Samaritan" Laws...my Sis is an LPN, and they're taught about "Scope of Practice"...and she knows I'm a gear Junky (FAK's included). And while I am a certified instructor, it's for military first aid...gun shot wounds, care under fire, tourniquets, sucking chest wounds...adn we're taught to improvise. Don't have an asherman chest seal? Use a plastic bag. I know how to use everything in my kit, and wouldn't have anything I didn't know how o use. I would THINK, in a court of law, that having had military training on doing it, and teaching, that I would be protected under "Scope of Practice", as long as I'm only attempting what I've been taught. I'm not going to to try and run an IV...but I will insert a nasalpharengynal airway.

Speaking as someone who has trained on both the Military and Civilian sides...

Unless you are on shift running under a set of state and locally approved protocols to include online control your ass is hanging in the wind if you do any more then any average citizen would do. Good Samaritan laws wont do a thing for you when it comes to advanced lifesaving techniques.

You can do everything right as my Instructors (All NREMT-P's) explained and still get pulled into litigation but at least working for a service they have insurance:-)

Let your conscience be your guide but your military training especially if it is not your primary MOS / AFSC will get you into trouble simply because you have a familiarity with advanced techniques but you don't get to use the skills on a daily basis is an accident waiting to happen. Be carefull...

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 am

Your right. a lot ot times you have your ass hanging out. My situation is quite unique. I have a letter of International Medical Control from a prominent group of physicians in the USA, the ring -leader of which got his MD at 17 and speaks 6 languages. We have an agreed upon set of protocols of which I am expected to live "up to "..... If i fail once. Im out.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 am

I'm not sure getting an MD at 17 is really a good thing...you need to grow up a little to be a doc first. I fully believe you need some street smarts before you can treat people effectively in an emergent scenario.

To revisit the snakebite thing: The reason the cut and suck method doesn't work is because there is not a discrete fluid collection to aspirate. Think about when you inject lidocaine into the skin before you make an incision...there's not a big pocket of lidocaine there when you cut, it spreads out into the tissue. The only thing cutting and sucking does is damage the surrounding tissue more, potentially causing worse necrosis.

If you have no hospital, you could lightly tie a piece of cloth around the extremity, just enough to slow the lymph drainage and not the arterial flow, and just keep the limb elevated to reduce swelling. Your goal would be to give the body time to metabolize the toxin before it becomes systemic, and to reduce the odds of compartment syndrome. That's for a crotalid bite, like a rattle snake. For something like a cobra, an elapid, it would be the aforementioned wait and see, I think I would still do all the same things. Slow the heart rate, keep calm, do all the things to prevent a quick systemic absorption.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 am

Yea, he was a real trip as an MD at 17. That was fifteen years ago. Now he, Dr. Keith Brown, and Dr. Lawrence Heiskell are about the only three I take the "word " from. Meaning if they are involved with a project, I do what they advise. Period.

sigma42

Post by sigma42 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:39 am

I don't know about others but for me it has become some very good reading. :P

Return to “First Aid”