Question Time

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Veritas

Re: Question Time

Post by Veritas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:05 am

RugbyFire wrote:If you had to make a hasty band-aid, what would be the safest material to use.
Dress with clean cotton if you need to improvise. Preferably something that doesn't have a lot of lint (gets stuck in wounds). I'd think something like a t shirt would be preferable over something like jeans or khakis. I'd avoid socks and bath towels because of the lint issue, but really they would be okay if you knew they were clean and had nothing else. I'd avoid anything plastic, vinyl, etc because it wouldn't soak up the blood well, and would probably hold in more bad stuff. The point of the dressing is not solely to keep out bad stuff but to pull out contaminate when you change it out.

I wouldn't pack the wound with anything if I was improvising. I wouldn't pack it probably at all if the bleeding were stopped, but that's not your question.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Drop Dead Zed

Re: Question Time

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Not that it's really germane to the OP's question, but I've seen this photo (including a background) on various law enforcement forums and websites over the past few years. The story that goes with it is somewhat unclear. Most often it is shown as a cautionary tale with the individual in the photo purported to be a police officer who "won" a fight with a knife wielding attacker. Less often, but more recently, I've seen folks posting it as showing the "winner" of a knife fight between two prison inmates.

The general narrative is that the person in the photo was unarmed and facing a knife wielding attacker. The person in the photo shot in, took the attacker to the ground, and did a ground and pound. That is why the lacerations are on the upper back as opposed to the abdomen or lower back.

I have no idea if any of the above info is accurate, but it is retold in some fashion every time that photo comes up (this time too, I guess.)
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Return to “First Aid”