Casio cell phones

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jimm1909

Re: Casio cell phones

Post by jimm1909 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 am

max v wrote:
Dogan wrote:I've got a Ravine 2, and I'm happy with it so far. it's been dropped +-10 feet onto concrete, been dropped in a pond, but I've only had it <3 weeks. I am looking forward to torturing it.
So one more vote for the Ravine2. Have fun torturing it and please let me know how it holds up.
Agreed. I am looking at the Ravine2 as well so I'm very interested in how it holds up.

Thanks

Jim
Last edited by jimm1909 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Mine has held up well so far. Haven't done a torture test of any specified sort though. It stays in a cargo pocket and gets beat on regularly. It's been wet, it's been dropped, it's been sat on with the hinge open (on a couch, not a hard surface). No damage, at least no functional damage. Has a couple of scratches and other wear marks, but that is expected.

The only thing I'm not impressed with is battery life when using the GZ'Gear apps. It drains faster than preferred, but is otherwise a long lasting battery. I typically recharge it once a week or so. Charges are spread out enough that there is a short search for the charger each time.

max v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror

Post by max v » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm

jimm1909 wrote:
max v wrote:
Dogan wrote:I've got a Ravine 2, and I'm happy with it so far. it's been dropped +-10 feet onto concrete, been dropped in a pond, but I've only had it <3 weeks. I am looking forward to torturing it.
So one more vote for the Ravine2. Have fun torturing it and please let me know how it holds up.
Agreed. I am looking at the Ravine2 as well so I'm very interested in how it holds up.

Thanks

Jim
Sure thing.
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

max v

Post by max v » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Mine has held up well so far. Haven't done a torture test of any specified sort though. It stays in a cargo pocket and gets beat on regularly. It's been wet, it's been dropped, it's been sat on with the hinge open (on a couch, not a hard surface). No damage, at least no functional damage. Has a couple of scratches and other wear marks, but that is expected.

The only thing I'm not impressed with is battery life when using the GZ'Gear apps. It drains faster than preferred, but is otherwise a long lasting battery. I typically recharge it once a week or so. Charges are spread out enough that there is a short search for the charger each time.
Lol, been there, dedicated pouch on my edc bag solved that. Anyway, glad to see you're alright. I'll be testing trekbuddy soon on my Sonim, will let you know how it performs. Stay safe out there.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Mine has held up well so far. Haven't done a torture test of any specified sort though. It stays in a cargo pocket and gets beat on regularly. It's been wet, it's been dropped, it's been sat on with the hinge open (on a couch, not a hard surface). No damage, at least no functional damage. Has a couple of scratches and other wear marks, but that is expected.

With mine, non-app runtime is less then 16 hours. What sorcery have you on yours? Mine's used mostly for texting, and it jsut sits in my pocket otherwise. If this phone could have a standby time of 24+ hours I would be much, much more impressed.

The other thing is that the GZ'gear apps are not all that accurate, for instance the thermometer and the compass. The thermometer is understandable as it is embedded in a large thermal mass of plastic and metal, but the compass? Recalibration? Why not have once daily recalibration based off of cell towers?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Dogan wrote:The other thing is that the GZ'gear apps are not all that accurate, for instance the thermometer and the compass. The thermometer is understandable as it is embedded in a large thermal mass of plastic and metal, but the compass? Recalibration? Why not have once daily recalibration based off of cell towers?
I've come to find that the GZ'gear apps are pretty much crap. Very unreliable.

The main reason I bought the phone however still stands. the thing is indestructible. I killed phones on a regular basis until I got one of these, and it's lasted over a year now, a record for me.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

blue7floyd

Post by blue7floyd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:50 am

My friend was referring me Ravine2 as he is very impressed with this phone. I am going to give this a try and see how things are working out. :clownshoes: I really hope things will work in the way you guys are telling. Will back here soon.

Thanks
http://www.snoredoc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 am

Well, it's been a while since I last posted in here about it, but my GZOne is still going strong.

It's been dropped, thrown, washed, dried, run over, and nommed on (large cat.)

not a scratch on the screen, hinge is still strong, keys all work.

The only thing I've noticed as a con is that the battery life is starting to drop off. But then, that's happened with every single phone I've ever had.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

prtp3warrior

Post by prtp3warrior » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:57 am

I have a Casio Commando 4glte C811 like the one in this picture. Pretty awesome phone. Some folks complain about the specs but I came from using a three or four year old Droid X (which was pretty darn tough btw) to this Casio so the specs are an improvement for me personally. I swim and whitewater raft with it all the time in my pfd. I have dropped it several times. Keeps on working with no problems. The touch screen even works soaking wet and well enough to snap pictures UNDERWATER! The only complaint I have is that after getting out of the water, there seems to be a "bubble " of water that lingers over the ear piece for a couple of hours making the sound from any call seem muffled.

Other than that, awesome phone.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am

Dogan wrote: With mine, non-app runtime is less then 16 hours. What sorcery have you on yours? Mine's used mostly for texting, and it jsut sits in my pocket otherwise. If this phone could have a standby time of 24+ hours I would be much, much more impressed.

The other thing is that the GZ'gear apps are not all that accurate, for instance the thermometer and the compass. The thermometer is understandable as it is embedded in a large thermal mass of plastic and metal, but the compass? Recalibration? Why not have once daily recalibration based off of cell towers?
Mine is more of a thing in my pocket than a regularly used tool. It's there if I need it, but I really don't. Maybe one or two texts a day, otherwise it's an alarm clock. I have noticed that on days I used the crap out of it, the battery drains over a 10hr period. That's with back to back phone calls and routine texts. That's the exception to the norm though. So long as I turn the alarm off right away, it keeps a charge for a solid week.

The apps are craptastic. Not nearly as cool as I had hoped, but the biggest turn on for me was the ruggedness. I don't get worried about it when I'm soaking wet, I can keep it in my pocket while swimming, when I toss it across the yard for the Mrs to use, I don't get upset when she misses it because of my horrible throwing skills.

max v

Post by max v » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks guys for all the info. I never did get my hands on a Casio phone but after the Sonim died it was replaced with a AGM X1, which has held up for nearly 3 years and is still the perfect phone for me: 5400mAh battery, 1080 gorilla screen and a octacore cpu at a reasonable price. Oh and it's bombproof. I still don't get how people can shell out a month's wages for a phone that shatters on impact. Or maybe we're just getting old. :v:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm

max v wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:57 pm
Thanks guys for all the info. I never did get my hands on a Casio phone but after the Sonim died it was replaced with a AGM X1, which has held up for nearly 3 years and is still the perfect phone for me: 5400mAh battery, 1080 gorilla screen and a octacore cpu at a reasonable price. Oh and it's bombproof. I still don't get how people can shell out a month's wages for a phone that shatters on impact. Or maybe we're just getting old. :v:
I think that's because, at least here in the US, most people don't actually do that. We mostly lease our phones and the lease payment is rolled right in with the monthly service payment and it seems like such a reasonable amount that we agree and pay it.

Oh, and welcome back. We kept a light on for you. :wink:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:39 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm
max v wrote:
I think that's because, at least here in the US, most people don't actually do that. We mostly lease our phones and the lease payment is rolled right in with the monthly service payment and it seems like such a reasonable amount that we agree and pay it.

Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

max v

Post by max v » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:43 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm
max v wrote:

Thank you Sir, that explains a lot. Over here it's prohibited to use such marketing ploys. And thank you for keeping the light on, that means a lot. I figured there's no better place to visit on the fortnight of a zombie apocalypse. 8-)

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:57 pm

Got excited when this thread popped up, thinking there was something new in the rugged phone game...then noted dates.
Phones do well when I get 6 months out of them.
1st sonim went 7 months, 2nd went just shy of 3 months.
My current phone is a cat s61 and I'm coming up on a full year - new record set every day.

max v

Post by max v » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:10 am

SRO1911 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:57 pm
Got excited when this thread popped up, thinking there was something new in the rugged phone game...then noted dates.
Phones do well when I get 6 months out of them.
1st sonim went 7 months, 2nd went just shy of 3 months.
My current phone is a cat s61 and I'm coming up on a full year - new record set every day.
The last Casio phone I researched was the Commando 811 and that was several years ago. It still looks the part but the specs are inferior to my AGM X1. Can't speak that highly of Sonim either, that XP33 is looking quite sad and battered having shed its rubber skin almost entirely. What Sonim models did you use?

Return to “Communications”